It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
(female)

thewags HB User
Elevated T3 in 7 year old

My daughter went in for bloodwork after a hypoglycemia incident (she passed out after marching in a parade). Fasting blood test showed higher than normal cholesterol (226) Lipids (164) and T3 (194 range of 60-180). We are told to eat better and have her excercise. For the record, she eats well and moves constantly, although she is my only overweight child. Is there a pattern here that someone else can see? I don't think it's normal for a healthy seven year old!

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by thewags; 03-14-2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Elevated T3 in 7 year old

The T3 test you're asking about tests for the total level of T3, not the portion that is "free" and active. It's only slightly above normal, nothing to worry about on the face of it.

If you want to know her thyroid status, she needs more tests than just T3. Did she have TSH and free T4 tests done?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
(female)

thewags HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
The T3 test you're asking about tests for the total level of T3, not the portion that is "free" and active. It's only slightly above normal, nothing to worry about on the face of it.

If you want to know her thyroid status, she needs more tests than just T3. Did she have TSH and free T4 tests done?
She had a full panel done, I was read the results. I was only told that they other Thyroid results were in normal range. She has since had another episode (chills, pale, dizzy, walking unsteadily). She had cereal for breakfast, church, dance class, sat in the car for 45 minutes. We were late for lunch, so she asked for a granola bar. Ten minutes later she said she was dizzy. I tested her sugar at that point but it was 140.

I guess I have to wait for a retest in a few months, but am not sure they are even looking for the right things.

Thank you for your reply.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

One thing about thyroid disease... Those of us who eventually have been diagnosed and treated know that you must monitor the test results for yourself. Always get a hard copy of all labs and learn what the results mean. You definitely can't always rely on MDs to understand what they see.

You can post results with their ranges here for help with interpretation.
Let us know what happens at the next retest.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
(female)

thewags HB User

Hi all! I have new test results

Fasting glucose 87 (Ref Range 65-100)
TSH 2.44 (RR .30-5.00)
T3 Total 199 (RR 60-180)
C-Peptide 2.0 (RR 0.8-3.5)
Insulin level 17

Pediatrician sent a note to the endocrinologist saying Hypothyroid, we previously had a hypoglycemia diagnosis. I also gave the endocrinologist two weeks work of post pradial glucose readings, which ranged from 100-214. I haven't heard back from the endo yet.

Thanks for any help,
Tracy

Old 05-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User

I think your daughter may be insulin resistant. That is a very high insulin level. The average insulin level in America is around 8 and in non-industrialised countries, where people don't eat as much processed food, it is 5-6. Insulin resistance is suspected in levels over 10 mg/dL.
Most healthy adults will have a fasting insulin of 3-6 mg/dL. I believe mine was 5.
I would suggest asking for a glucose and insulin tolerance test, as that will be more diagnostic for insulin resistance.
Also, have her hba1c level checked, as that will give an idea of her glucose levels over the span of 3 months.
Her TSH is suspiciously high and without the free hormone measurements, you cannot really make much of the T3 total, as much of it could be bound.
I know metformin has helped many people with insulin resistance lose weight. Might be something to ask about.
I think eating a high protein diet, low in simple carbs will probably be the best thing for her, and prevent the overreaction of insulin, which is causing the hypoglycemia. It sounds terrible to put a 7 year old on a diet but a modified version of South Beach or Paleo would probably help. When she eats something sweet, like a granola bar, her pancreas will spring into action and raise insulin levels but once the sugar is "neutralised" (can't think of a better word, sorry) the insulin level stays high and overshoots its target, resulting in plummeting sugar levels. Keeping the insulin level steady by eating low glycemic foods might help prevent her from passing out.

Last edited by bee01; 05-15-2012 at 01:07 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to bee01 For This Useful Post:
thewags (05-16-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
(female)

thewags HB User

Thank you, I believe you are correct. The doctor now says continue eating well and see us in July. He "is not concerned" about her cholesterol, T3 random glucose readings above 200 or insulin. I am, and plan to modify her diet. I do not want to wait until there's no options but lifelong meds.

I appreciate the information that is shared here.

Reply Reply