It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User
Iodized salt vs. synthroid

If hypothyroidism is primarily caused by being deficient in iodine why not just treat it with iodized salt or a multivitamin that contains it.

I'm tired of taking this medication or replacement everyday and just realized that my multivitamin contains 100% of the USDA. I feel fine and EVERYTHING is working fine.

Is anyone on the board clinically able to advise me some on this or tried it.

This is confusing.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Iodized salt vs. synthroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara_Ann View Post
If hypothyroidism is primarily caused by being deficient in iodine why not just treat it with iodized salt or a multivitamin that contains it.
This is not true. Few cases of hypothyroidism in industrialized countries are caused by iodine deficiency. Most are caused by thyroid failure due to the auto-antibody assault on the thyroid tissue known as Hashimoto's thyroiditis. The gland loses its ability to make use of iodine to make hormone.

Synthroid (or other brands/types of prescription hormone) replaces what the gland can no longer manufacture. You're feeling fine because the hormone is doing its job to regulate your body's metabolic processes, which your gland can no longer do. The raw material - iodine - from which hormone is made is no substitute for the ready-made hormone - Synthroid.

Last edited by midwest1; 03-27-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Synthroid is the replacement t4, the actual hormone your body produces. In the olden days, or in third world countries, hypothyroidism could have been caused by a lack of iodine. A healthy thyroid would use the iodine as fuel to produce the hormone, t4.

These days, most people in modern countries, have iodine added to salt--and in some countries, such as the US, there is iodine in the soil, which enriches some of the foods grown here such as potato and rice. So the cause of hypothyroidism these days, is often from hashimotos, an autoimmune disease, where the thyroid is attacking itself, and slowly dies over time. In this case, no matter how much iodine you fuel yourself with, it won't convert enough hormone for your body.

Iodine isn't a replacement for thyroid hormone---it's something your body uses to produce the hormone, but not the actual hormone itself. If you are lacking in iodine, it's good, if you aren't, and your thyroid is failing, it likely won't do much for you.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Midwest1 & Reece; I haven't been on the board in ages but remember both of you well and always look forward to and respect your input when I have a question.

BTW, I probably confused you with the part about feeling FINE. I meant that I was feeling fine while taking my hormone replacement and consuming the 100% USDA of iodine in the vit. It has always been my understanding that we shouldn't take in any or least not much iodine if on the hormone.

Thanks for your responses.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Hi Barbara Ann... I thought that was you!

If the iodine doesn't seem to cause any problems, it's okay to take it. When we talk about thyroid treatment, we can only speak in generalities, because the effects of the disease and its treatment are so very individual. While iodine supplementation has been known to cause many Hashimoto's sufferers to feel much worse, it might cause no trouble at all for others. My own multivitamin contains the RDA for iodine, but it doesn't bother me. Perhaps it's a matter of volume.... That modest amounts cause trouble less frequently than the huge amounts present in kelp and other OTC "thyroid boosters".

I have read, but only in passing, that iodine is needed by the body for purposes other than thyroid hormone production, so I don't go out of my way to avoid it completely - just in case that's true. But I would never take it in mega-quantities, because it wouldn't help my poor dead gland.

Nice seeing you again!

Old 03-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nice chatting with you as well Midwest1. I agree 100% about an individual's consumption of iodine. I try to stay away from it when cooking and at the table. I just limit it to the vit. and what I may get on a chip here and there. If I think I'm taking in more then I should I flood myself with water. Have a great day over there in MO if I remember correctly.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

Yes, I don't think it's too bad if you're just Hashi's but I had Graves too and iodine makes me feel racy if I consume it too much, like in shellfish or some fast food. It's not as bad as it was and I use sea salt which has a little in it but my vitamins, no. As long as you're fine on it, then I suppose it's okay. I try to avoid it in my vitamins cause SO many foods have too much iodine probably already. I wish they would list how much is in food.If you read the thyroid cancer "don't eat" list before RAI (my niece had to have this) there's so many foods you have to avoid before this treatment for thyroid cancer.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I agree that food suppliers should list "everything". However, I went totally organic and cook only whole foods now. When I had to go gluten free I happened to shop one day at Trader Joe's and found it easy to identify the g-free foods because of the way the label things on their shelves and happened to notice that their prices have greatly improved and are so so much more affordable then they used to be. I guess since they are opening more and more stores and people are shopping at them more and more it has really driven the prices down. Now I do all my groc. shopping there. If you see me in a reg. groc. store I'm there for TP, paper towels or dog food lol. I feel so much better going gluten free - I was experiencing horrible excruciating digestive problems and pain for daily (all day) for almost 5 months. Within 24 hours of getting off the gluten I noticed 85% improvement and now never have a problem. The organic I do just because I like the idea of my food not being genetically modified or having nitrates, antibiotics, steroids or pesticides in or on them. I live alone so I can afford it but don't know that I could with a family without a second income. Trader Joe's is way more affordable and safe as far as what they stock then Whole Foods though.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

Barbara,
That's great that you went GF and have your symptoms relieved.
My adult daughter has celiac and had a very mild case when she asked for the testing for it.(her mother's daughter) Anyway,any symptoms she had were alleviated too. Yes, we have gone to Trader Joe's too as some supermarkets want way too much for gluten free. She eats pretty plain, so she doesn't eat all the GF treats they have (can be fattening!) There are a lot of foods that are naturally GF, so it's not quite as hard as some think and also as you must know, they have GF bread, pasta etc...you just have to try a few to find one that you like, right? Too many carbs are NG anyway! There is a real good bakery here in R.I. that is GF and they offer quite a bit, and it's all pretty good, so when there's a holiday or someone's birthday and we don't want her to feel left out, we make a trip there. That's great you are organic and everything, that can only be good for you, right?

Old 03-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #10
(female)

ABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran'sNana View Post
Yes, I don't think it's too bad if you're just Hashi's but I had Graves too and iodine makes me feel racy if I consume it too much, like in shellfish or some fast food. .
Your statement about the Graves and iodine caught my eye. Early on in my illness I had very frequent "hyper" episodes and it was often after eating shellfish or pizza. (In general I eat a low sodium diet). Hmm..... interesting.

I am hypoT, test low for Hashi's Ab's but have an elevated TSI level. Not high enough to be Graves, but within a few points of labs range.

Thanks for mentioning this. I will now pay more attention to what I have eaten when I have those terrible "hypers". Might be a clue for me.

Thanks,

Pam

Old 03-29-2012, 05:29 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, glad I could help,my TSi was only 109 when I was quite hyper, most people have a number much higher than this. Most ranges say you don't have symptoms til levels reach 125 but I did before that. I also have tpo antibodies and some anti-tg (much lower) antibodies as well. My tpo's have risen over the years, from being over medicated on anti thyroid meds for awhile, plus having Hashi's too. I took selenium for 3 months last year and they were almost cut in half. I still take it on and off.The Graves thyroid will "take up" too much iodine in food,I imagine somewhat like the uptake scan they give you to diagnose Graves. With anti- thyroid meds,it blocks this. I still had/have slight symptoms if I consume too much. Not on anti- thyroid meds anymore, now taking a small amount of replacement,as it's harder to control right now.

Last edited by Bran'sNana; 03-29-2012 at 05:31 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bran'sNana For This Useful Post:
ABQpam (03-29-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

Just wondering what kind of negative impact people have experienced with iodine. I had to have a few dose increases last year and then when my freet's were back up where they needed to be we discovered my reverse t3 was too high. My doc gave me a supplement to help with that which contains lots of vitamins, selenium and iodine. Feeling very poorly again this past week, could it be from the iodine? I've been experiencing issues I have when I am hypo: lightheadedness or spacey feeling, headaches, fatigue, acid reflux, BP and bs spikes. Got labwork done this morning to see if my numbers are off again.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Studies have shown that iodine worsens the hypothyroidism in patients with Hashi's.

For whatever it's worth, reverse T3 issues usually mean that the FreeT3 level is too low....

Closed Thread