It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
(female)

Deb5887 HB User
Hyperthyroidism: What's next?

My doctor has been checking my thyroid since January. Last Friday I had uptake tests and my doctor called me to discuss the results. He said there were some hot spots, but there were no cold spots. He said that was good. He's sending me for an ultrasound this week before I see him again. I didn't ask him a lot of questions because I'm seeing him on Thursday. But now I wonder what "hot spots" and "cold spots" are and what they mean. Can an ultrasound find more than the uptake test? I'm assuming the answer is "yes" because why else would he order it? Any ideas of what I'm facing would be appreciated.

My symptoms have been a racing heart, raised blood pressure, insomnia, fatigue, change in bowel movements. I was noticing how fast my reflexes were recently and then I read that could be a sign of hyperthyroidism. I was really enjoying catching things people tossed in the most unusal ways. Quick! Cool. My husband also told me how soft my skin seemed recently and then I read that was a sign of hyperthyroidism. It's affecting my blood sugar. At first it was running low, but last night it went very high. I haven't been on insulin in a year and last night I had to use some old, unopened Lantus I had in the fridge. I find my body all tensed up and have to remind myself to loosen up. My hair's very thin.

Last year I was on Interferon for Hep C. I cured the Hep C, but wonder if the interferon has anything to do with this.

Anyone have any advice, help, something? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2012, 04:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroidism: What's next?

Hot spots means you might have thyroid nodules throwing off hormone. Cold spots *could* indicate cancer but are more likely benign and just plain ol' nodules.

The uptake scan is actually obsolete. Better information is achieved with an ultrasound and comprehensive bloodwork.

Your symptoms could be related to hyperthyroidism. If you doctor has been checking your thyroid, hasn't that included bloodwork?

Minimally, he should be watching FreeT4 and TSH....and he should have also checked for antibodies - TPOab, TGab and TSI or TRab.

If you have some results to share (with ranges), that would most certainly provide a clearer picture.

And, according to some quick research I did, it seems that interferon can most definitely be suspect.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17983936

The following user gives a hug of support to sammy64:
Deb5887 (04-02-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
Deb5887 (04-02-2012)
Old 04-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
(female)

Deb5887 HB User

Thanks! My doc has done three or four blood tests since January. Then he sent me for the uptake test. Tomorrow I go for the ultrasound. Since I haven't been able to see him in the last few weeks when things were getting worse (he was on vacation) I felt like I was all alone. I've been researching, but I really like talking to PEOPLE!! I'll ask for copies of my blood work. I'm very anxious, but I see my MD on Thursday -- after the ultrasound. Do you think with all the blood work he's done and the uptake test and the ultrasound he'll have a pretty good answer by then? I sure hope so.

Thanks for your help. It's greatly appreciated!

Old 04-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
(female)

Deb5887 HB User

I saw my doctor yesterday and he put me on methimazole 5 mg 3x day. He said my thyroid was acting as none other he saw before. He showed me that my "Free T4" was elevated at 2.1, then went down quite a bit, then back up to 2.1. He said that in his 30+ years of practice he'd never seen that. I do have an unimportant cyst on my thyroid, but he says that's not contributing to my problems.

I don't even know if I'm making sense, but if anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it!

Closed Thread

Tags
hyperthyroidism, thyroid ultrasound, thyroid uptake tests