It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
(female)

FLGirl123 HB User
Question Gluten free = thyroid function improved????

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Not sure if I should have posted this here, on the Celiac board or the heart board since it all applies.

I recently tried going Gluten free for a couple of weeks to see if it would help my brain fog.
I do have hypothyroidism & take 125mcg of levothyroxine a day. Last blood test was 5 months ago.

After 2 weeks of being Gluten free I notice i was getting strong heart palpitations. At first it was only in morning and night but then it became throughout the day. It felt awful & stayed for minutes at a time .
I was not sure why.... no caffeine or chocolate, no anxiety that I felt. I would just be sitting calmly & it would hit me.

I realized that hyperthyroidism produces the same symptoms due to too much hormone.

I stopped the gluten free diet and for 2 days cut down my levothyroxine in half. I felt so much better! Now I am off the gluten free diet for a few days I went back to my regular dose of levo. My heart palpitations are 90% better!

I did a search but could not find much information. I read that going gluten free for a couple months improves the thyroid, but in 2 weeks is that possible? Maybe it was coincidental.

Needless to say that my brain fog did not improve. Pretty sure I am not Gluten intolerant.

Hoping someone can educate me on this

Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
(female)

RainbeauBrite HB User
Re: Gluten free = thyroid function improved????

Hi FLGirl...

First of all know that I'm a big believer in Gluten Free even though I hate eating that way (weird, I know). BUT...if you are gluten intolerant and you went GF for 2 weeks it's possible that your gut healed enough so that you were actually ABSORBING more of your thyroid meds and that's why you felt overmedicated.

I am suspected Celiac with Hashimotos and I am 3 months GF. I don't feel leaps and bounds better (like most do) but several of my blood tests (CRP, liver functions) improved DRASTICALLY with just this one change.

Just a thought.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
(female)

Kiera9 HB User

Hi, from what I have read there is some evidence that when people are at the least gluten sensitive, which you are likely to be if you already have an autoimmune disorder, gluten is likely to cause some problems in your thyroxine absorption. So, what you did was take the barrier to that absorption out of your system by going gluten-free. My guess is that your heart palpitations were only going to be a few times over about 2 weeks as your body adjusted to absorbing your meds better and your TSH would not go fully HYPERthyroid. In fact, you would feel like a rock star in a month or so.

Be careful about putting your dosage down. I recently realized that a doctor did that to me and over the course of a year, my symptoms all came back. It was a nightmare, and I barely realized it was happening until I felt like a 99 year old with chronic fatigue, depression, cognitive problems, arthritis and 8 pounds of weight gain. I'm a fit 36 year old woman.

Have your levels checked and don't settle for a TSH above 2. Doctors in this country are undermedicating their patients and the journals are slowly showing this in their narrowing of the proper acceptable hormone ranges. A really healthy thyroid is not being stimulated by the pituitary such that it reads above a 2 in the TSH.

Good luck!

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-29-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
(male)

dapetroni HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGirl123 View Post
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Not sure if I should have posted this here, on the Celiac board or the heart board since it all applies.

I recently tried going Gluten free for a couple of weeks to see if it would help my brain fog.
I do have hypothyroidism & take 125mcg of levothyroxine a day. Last blood test was 5 months ago.

After 2 weeks of being Gluten free I notice i was getting strong heart palpitations. At first it was only in morning and night but then it became throughout the day. It felt awful & stayed for minutes at a time .
I was not sure why.... no caffeine or chocolate, no anxiety that I felt. I would just be sitting calmly & it would hit me.

I realized that hyperthyroidism produces the same symptoms due to too much hormone.

I stopped the gluten free diet and for 2 days cut down my levothyroxine in half. I felt so much better! Now I am off the gluten free diet for a few days I went back to my regular dose of levo. My heart palpitations are 90% better!

I did a search but could not find much information. I read that going gluten free for a couple months improves the thyroid, but in 2 weeks is that possible? Maybe it was coincidental.

Needless to say that my brain fog did not improve. Pretty sure I am not Gluten intolerant.

Hoping someone can educate me on this
YES! I am currently experiencing this. I had been steady state on 137 mcg Synthroid for six months (tsh: 1.25,1.45,1.26) when I decided to try going Gluten Free to see if this would clear up my chronic sinus inflammation - and I mean chronic.

It was AMAZING how fast my sinuses opened up. Within 2 days I could breath! No more Mucinex D, nasal steroid spray, netti pot rinses, allergy meds, ibuprofen - It also did something positive to my energy level, I felt the best I had felt in the 3 years since RAI (for Graves).

Then about 2 weeks into this new GF diet, I starting experiencing heart palps, insomnia, and muscle pain in my back. All these symptoms increased each week. By week 5 my skin was turning red -Flush and it was burning, , my backpain was severe, I had tingling in my hands, and twitching above my left eye. At this point I immediately stopped my 137mcg, but it took 3 days before I could get in for a blood test and see my doc.

The results from the blood work taken after 3 days on no synthroid were: tsh: 3.45, T4: 1.33, T3: 104. It is not clear to me how fast the tsh can change. He told me that I may be absorbing more of the Synthroid on my new diet, and he lowered my dose to 88 mcg, and said come back in 5 weeks for a blood test.

It has been 1 on the new dosage and I am beginning to feel symptoms of Hypo - Brain Fog, low pulse (was in the 70's now at 52 bpm), low concentration, memory problems, slowwwwwing down of the system. Heart palpatations are gone, the flushing is gone, the insomnia is gone. However, the back/muscle pains are still present. And my energy level is down.

Can you give me any advice?

Old 04-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
(female)

er5678 HB User

Hello, I think I have had similar symptoms, though they did not occur in 2 weeks; they took a little longer. I am hypothyroid and on 88 mcg of Levothyroxine. Been on it for about 3 years. I recently decided to go gluten-free (except for consuming trace amounts of gluten through soy sauce and stuff) and have remained so for almost 4 months. I went gluten free because I feel tons better not eating gluten and it has solved digestive issues I was having.

I've noticed just this week I can't sleep and I am severely hungry a lot, even though I'm eating like normal. I'm going to the doctor next week to get my levels tested but I was also wondering if I should be on a lower dosage of my meds. No heart palpitations, though. I do also sometimes have a fuzzy feeling, like I can't really focus but I can, if that makes sense.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
(female)

DonnaB1223 HB User

I was on 60mg of Armour after being taken off of 50mcg of levothyroxine. I did a food allergy sensitivity blood test which came back with gluten, eggs, dairy, peanut, malt, carrot issues. I've completely given up everything and after my latest blood work my dr. is suggesting I drop my Armour to 30! I've lost weight by giving up these foods, I feel better, my skin is better and I think I have more energy. I'll post again in a few weeks once I'm taking just 30mg.

I should mention that i have had palpitations which is one of the reasons the levothyroxine was taken away and I think dropping my Armour in 1/2 will help. It seems that when I'm over-medicated my body reacts with palpitations! At least, I think that's what happens

Old 05-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
(female)

Aligato HB User

I have been experiencing this very thing! My son is allergic to wheat, so I started a gluten free diet to be supportive, but soon realized it cleared up a whole host of ailments I had been suffering with. I had been on 75 mcg of levoxyl for years. Had an increase to 100 mcg, then 88 mcg, and back down to 75. With the recent recall of Levoxyl, I had to switch to Synthroid 75, but everyone assured me the dose was the same. But now I am having hyper symptoms of feeling like I drank 10 cups of coffe, burning up while everyone else was freezing, and being very irritable and angry at the stupidest things. Of course it's the weekend and can't get in until monday for labs, but I just had to stop taking it for 2 days. Started feeling myself by the end of the first day without and now starting to feel a little hypo by the end of the 2nd day without. So I started researching and found this article:

"According to research reported on in the medical journal Digestive Diseases and Sciences, a significant number of patients with autoimmune thyroid disease also have celiac disease...."

"...researchers found that...organ-specific autoantibodies (i.e., thyroid antibodies) -- will disappear after 3 to 6 months of a gluten-free diet."

I'll just have to call the endo in the morning and tell him to lower my dose again. Interestingly, when i am over medicated I start craving pasta and pizza like everyday! But when I am on the correct dose I crave healthy foods. So i should have known when I wanted to quit the diet to head to the endo and have my levels checked! That set me back if it takes 3-6 months to clear the antibodies, but I hope I can get off this medication once and for all after getting back on this gluten free diet!!!!!

Old 07-15-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
(female)

destinyshere HB User

I know its a bit late on this post as it is old (2012) but if you get this great. I wanted to say when i went gluten free I ended up feeling hyperthyroid. It's probably because our thyroid is starting to work better also, I forgot my pills for a week at the cottage, but i felt fine, then i ended up losing weight on accident. Seems to me the pills keep us fat. But then if we don't take em were dead. Not fair.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #9
(female)

krissi2 HB User

Hi,
i was on very low thyroid medication but was looking for more natural ways how to cure or treat my thyroid,
so i googled the whole internet looking for answers.. this is nearly 2 years ago now,
and yes this is what it is, you need to go gluten free, and your results will improve.

when i went gluten free i started feeling bit weird and shaky.. thought it was the gluten withdrawal symptoms, but no, it was that i should have reduced my medication sooner!, it took me then or this is how i decided after 2 weeks i was off the medication and was fine, my hair stopped falling out soon after, and felt like my brain was working 10x faster than it did before, soon after that i became pregnant and my results were fine even during pregnancy!

propably it tkes longer to get better if results for thyroid are worse than mine was,
and everyone saying heart palpitations, this is sign you are overdosing yourself with the medication, and if you dont know how much to take best to stop taking it altogether. at least this is what i think.
its hard to only eat gluten free foods but its all worth it, takes bit time to get used to. to get gluten out of body takes 3-6 months, good luck!

Reply Reply