It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
(female)

Lolly808 HB UserLolly808 HB User
Biopsy results in...

Hi everyone,

Well my surgery went well on Monday. I came home Tuesday with the drain still in of course. I just got home from the docs office. He took out the drain and gave me my results.

I have Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma Stage 3 as it spread a little into the surrounding muscle tissues.

I will go in for RAI in a few weeks. Just have to wait now for Nuclear Medicine to call me for a consult and all the details.

For now I'm on 100 mcg of Levothyroxine once per day. I'm feeling much better today. Not much pain at all. I did have a lot of the pain the first night but I had a nice morphine pump to help with that!

So I'm a bit blown away. I had an intuition that something was not right with my body. I also have a lump on my left breast. Mammo and ultrasound a week from Monday. ugh

Feeliing kind of numb. I know I will be fine, just hoping it was going to be benign.

Would it hurt me to have a glass of wine?

;-)

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: Lolly808
Angelicdragon (04-14-2012), FinnMaid (04-14-2012), shell233 (04-13-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
(female)

Lolly808 HB UserLolly808 HB User
Re: Biopsy results in...

I also have a lump on my left breast. Mammo and Ultrasound scheduled for a week from Monday.

I read that there may be some kind of correlation between thyroid and breast cancer. Anyone know anything about this, or had both?

My mom died of breast cancer at 52. She also had a benign thyroid goiter removed when she was in her 30's I think.

I know my prognosis is really good with my papillary cancer. Just kind of unnerving at the moment with all of this going on.

I do have to go to the hospital for my RAI as I live in a small one bedroom one bath condo. Will I loose my hair from this? My hubby's coworkers girlfriend did. I didn't think that happened with RAI!

Anyone have any thoughts for me? I'm kind of scared right now.
xoxoxoxoxo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Biopsy results in...

Sorry about your diagnosis, but please know, this will be okay in terms of the thyroid. I had an invasion into the muscle in front of it, and I was fine. I took an RAI pill, I stayed with my parents, away from my husband and kids, for about a week and any hairloss or anything was because I wasn't on any meds, and was hypo as a prep for treatment. Other than some salivary gland swelling, and temporary loss of taste a few weeks later, the RAI itself didn't really have any side effects.

Make sure they can get you thyrogen for your treatment (there are some shortages), if not, tell them you will wait until they get it, it's horrible to go hypo for treatment. If you must, then have them give you cytomel until 2 weeks before so you won't feel horrid.

Hope all goes well with the ultrasound--terrible to be worrying about so many things at once, but know that in terms of the thyroid cancer, that won't get you down, you have already treated it, once you have the rai it is usually over with.

The following user gives a hug of support to Reece:
Lolly808 (04-14-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:
Lolly808 (04-14-2012)
Closed Thread