It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
(female)

Kate771 HB User
Breathing and hypothyroidism.

Hello all.Let me start by saying I just found out my TSH is now normal at 2.8.The lab says between 1.0 and 5.0 is normal for TSH.Noticed an big increase of getting short of breath since my dose increase last month.I have mild asthma that started when my thyroid became depressed.I have many other symptoms but the breathing problems that persist scare my half to death!I suffer from panic attacks that have also gotten worse in the past month.Thought I may have been going hyper so that's why I had my blood tested.When they came back and said my thyroid was normal I was surprised to say the least.Anyway,just wondered if anyone else has had these experiences?It feels like breathing/sort of a wooshing feeling in my chest.Just wondering if there is a connection between the two.I just want to feel better and am frustrated

Old 04-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Breathing and hypothyroidism.

Chest discomfort and breathing trouble are common hypothyroid complaints. It was one of the first things that caused me to pursue my diagnosis.

I'm sorry to tell you that TSH of 2.8 in someone being treated with thyroid hormone is definitely not "normal". Healthy people without thyroid disease have TSH near 1, no higher than 2. Of much greater importance is the free T4 level. If that is not at least dead center of its range or higher, it's too low and would account for multiple thyroid-type symptoms. I really believe that's your problem. You need more thyroid hormone, not less.

Does your MD test free T4? If he's prescribing your dose according to TSH alone, he's doing you a disservice. If he doesn't test your FT4, and you can't convince him to, you should at least ask him if you can make 1.0 your "target" TSH to see if it will help you feel better.

Let us know what happens, okay?

Last edited by midwest1; 04-19-2012 at 09:18 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
Kate771 (04-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
(female)

Kate771 HB User

Thank you for responding.It makes me feel better knowing that this is a complaint in other thyroid patients.It is disappointing that some of these medical professionals don't know what the target range should be to make a person feel better.They do test my T4(not sure if it's free?) as well.I will have to get a copy of my labs to see what it looks like.Then if it isn't on target I will ask about the TSH level.I am seeing a family doctor and asked them to give me a referral to an endo.That appointment isn't until August 14.Long waiting list.I am also looking into see a naturopath doctor that specializes in thyroid disorders.I would have to pay out of pocket for him but if there's a chance he could help I am willing to go that route.Thank you for the guidance.I just want to start feeling better soon.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
(female)

Kate771 HB User

Spoke to the doctors office,they think my breathing has nothing to do with my thyroid,their exact words.So they made an appointment for my asthma.So frustrated.Think I am going to have to see someone else.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

People often assume that endos are good at thyroid treatment, but they're too often the worst. They focus their practices on diabetes mainly and don't bother to learn anything else about thyroid that they didn't learn in Endocrinology 101. Just letting you know ahead of time not to put all your eggs into that basket and then lose time sitting around feeling terrible until you finally get in to see him.

If you can afford to do so, the naturopath may be your best bet. Or, if you'd rather find an MD or DO that insurance will reimburse, you could try what other patients have found to be successful. Ask area pharmacists for names of those whose Armour or Cytomel scripts they fill. Armour prescribers think outside the thyroid box and are more open-minded than most MDs. Not all pharms will cooperate with the request, but others will. So if the first won't help, don't assume none will.

Good luck with the search! I've been there, too. Most of us hypothyroidies have.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate771 View Post
Hello all.Let me start by saying I just found out my TSH is now normal at 2.8.The lab says between 1.0 and 5.0 is normal for TSH(
I read recently that the average TSH for African Americans (who have an extremely low incidence of autoimmune thyroid disease) is 1.18. This is one of the arguments for lowering the lab range for TSH. It has been speculated that so many "normal" people whose TSH was included in the lab range sample actually had some form of thyroid disease. Most healthy people have a TSH between 1 and 1.5. I agree that a naturopath might be your best bet. I have an appointment with one in 4 days. Counting down the minutes!

The Following User Says Thank You to bee01 For This Useful Post:
Kate771 (04-20-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
(female)

Kate771 HB User

I have made an appointment with the naturopathic doctor for May 3rd.I know he prescribes armour.The"normal"medical approach to anything thyroid is so flawed.I just don't understand why the levels haven't been changed in these labs.Just looked at my free t4,it's at 1.1.Actually,that's the highest it has been with all my testings.Excited to see the new doctor and get some good testing done and get on the road to feeling better.Thanks for the support and help.I really appreciate it and don't feel so alone dealing with this.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
(female)

Kate771 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee01 View Post
I read recently that the average TSH for African Americans (who have an extremely low incidence of autoimmune thyroid disease) is 1.18. This is one of the arguments for lowering the lab range for TSH. It has been speculated that so many "normal" people whose TSH was included in the lab range sample actually had some form of thyroid disease. Most healthy people have a TSH between 1 and 1.5. I agree that a naturopath might be your best bet. I have an appointment with one in 4 days. Counting down the minutes!
Very interesting!Just wish the medical community would catch up!Would love to hear how you like the naturopath.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
(female)

Kate771 HB User

I had my appointment with the naturopathic doctor today.He is changing my levothyroxine to a dessesitated thyroid medicine(that has t4 and t3 in it) that is made at a pharmacy.He want my TSH to be under 2 at least.The prescription is sent in the mail. Checking my food allergies because of the asthma but also because of allergies and eczema.That was an expensive test!But it will be worth it if we find some allergies to foods I can try to eliminate from my diet.Also have a super vitamin supplement as well as fish oil.I am so hopeful I can start to regain my life back and start feeling like myself again.Thank you for the advice!

Old 05-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
(female)

Kate771 HB User

I forgot to say he is testing my antibodies and vitamin d at the next visit in 7 weeks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kate771 For This Useful Post:
Sinemg (07-15-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
(female)

Sinemg HB User

Quote:
Spoke to the doctors office,they think my breathing has nothing to do with my thyroid,their exact words.So they made an appointment for my asthma.So frustrated.Think I am going to have to see someone else.
Hi Kate.. I was wondering how your breathing is doing? ( I hope well!) I have been experiencing air hunger and I was curious to know what worked for you!

Old 05-30-2012, 05:23 AM   #12
(female)

Kate771 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinemg View Post
Hi Kate.. I was wondering how your breathing is doing? ( I hope well!) I have been experiencing air hunger and I was curious to know what worked for you!
Hi Sinemg,
Unfortunately I am still experiencing breathing problems.But my levels are probably not at a normal level yet.I am hoping once they are at a 1 or 2 the breathing problems will subside.I am being sent to a pulmnologist as the P.A.I see doesn't know what to do.I am on 2 asthma medicines.I haven't been back to the naturopath yet.I see him in mid June.It is certainly scary when I feel like I can't breathe.Brings on terrible anxiety,then that makes it worse.Anything help your breathing?

The following user gives a hug of support to Kate771:
bee01 (05-31-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
(female)

Sinemg HB User

Quote:
Hi Sinemg,
Unfortunately I am still experiencing breathing problems.But my levels are probably not at a normal level yet.I am hoping once they are at a 1 or 2 the breathing problems will subside.I am being sent to a pulmnologist as the P.A.I see doesn't know what to do.I am on 2 asthma medicines.I haven't been back to the naturopath yet.I see him in mid June.It is certainly scary when I feel like I can't breathe.Brings on terrible anxiety,then that makes it worse.Anything help your breathing?

It certainly will get better once your levels are normal! I've also seen a pulmo. Everything was normal. Thank God. May I ask what exactly your breathing symptoms are. Mine are the constant urge to take a deep breath, constant urge to yawn (though incomplete at times).. some times that deep breath comes and it feels so good. Is this what youre experiencing??

I find what helps is really telling myself that this too shall pass. It will not haunt me forever. I trust God with all my heart. He will heal us!

The Following User Says Thank You to Sinemg For This Useful Post:
Kate771 (06-05-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #14
(female)

Sinemg HB User

Quote:
I had my appointment with the naturopathic doctor today.He is changing my levothyroxine to a dessesitated thyroid medicine(that has t4 and t3 in it) that is made at a pharmacy.He want my TSH to be under 2 at least.The prescription is sent in the mail. Checking my food allergies because of the asthma but also because of allergies and eczema.That was an expensive test!But it will be worth it if we find some allergies to foods I can try to eliminate from my diet.Also have a super vitamin supplement as well as fish oil.I am so hopeful I can start to regain my life back and start feeling like myself again.Thank you for the advice!
Also how is the dessicated thyroid working out for you!? Any food allergies came up from the test??

Old 06-02-2012, 05:16 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Sorry I'm so late in coming on here but, Midwest1 definitely covered all the bases.

The breathing issues you describe are a classic hypo symptom called "air hunger".

I know that, for me, my FT4/FT3 levels had to be well into the upper third of the range to even begin to get *some* symptom relief. It wasn't until I was stable at my optimal levels that my final symptoms dissipated.

The list of hypothyroidism symptoms is quite extensive....and it's also very individual-specific.n It's to your benefit to identify the symptoms you have and note any improvements - this will help you identify your optimal levels.

Please know that people who are optimally medicated on any form of T3 (desiccated/natural thyroid contains T3) will have suppressed TSH.
Obviously, a TSH treatment goal of 1-2 is way too high for people taking T3.

And, rather than focus on pituitary hormone TSH, it's better to focus on the actual FreeT4/FreeT3 thyroid hormone levels.

People on desiccated thyroid will have a FreeT3 level that is proportionately higher in the range than the FreeT4 level since desiccated thyroid has proportionately more T3 than T4.

You would want to aim your FreeT3 level towards the upper quarter of the range and, hopefully, your FreeT4 level will be somewhere around mid-range. These are the types of levels people usually need to be free from symptoms.

Last edited by sammy64; 06-02-2012 at 05:18 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
Kate771 (06-05-2012)
Reply Reply