It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
(female)

Lolly808 HB UserLolly808 HB User
Question about RAI prep

I got the call to meet with Nuclear Medicine today. My appointment is tomorrow at 2 pm. finally!

She asked me if I knew anything about this treatment and I told her just what I've read on the internet. She said she has been doing this 16 years and half of what I read is accurate and half not.

Anyway, she did say I would be on a 4 week prep. I believe we will pick the date tomorrow.

I have only been on Levo for a little over one week now. I still feel really super tired. I'm on 100 mcg per day.

If I would stop my meds soon, like within a week, how long will it be before I start to feel the effects of being way hypo? I know it probably varies, but there must be an amount of time the drug stays in your body.

I am still dancing around the go back to work question. If I am going to be off meds for 4 weeks starting say in the next few days, maybe I won't go back to work.

Just wondering what some of your experiences have been on how long before you start to manifest hypo symptoms?

I don't feel like I could go to work right now. I'm scheduled to go back on week from Monday. If I do feel like I do now I'm going to have a rough time. If I'm going to go hypo right away, I'll just stay out on TDI.

Any thoughts?

thanks!!!!!!!

Old 04-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Question about RAI prep

Why can't you do thyrogen? Even if you have to wait a few months, it would definitely be worth it.

If you do go "hypo" you can ask for cytomel, and if you take it up until 2 weeks prior to your treatment, you would not feel terrible until the week or so before the treatment, and then that week, and maybe another week after.

I didn't have thyrogen and my doctor didn't make sure I had cytomel---it wasn't good. With your emotional state, I don't think you should go hypo. I would talk to the endo. about it. If not, make sure you are given a cytomel prescription.

Good luck---hope it gets it all!

The following user gives a hug of support to Reece:
Lolly808 (04-20-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:
Lolly808 (04-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
(female)

Lolly808 HB UserLolly808 HB User
Re: Question about RAI prep

Back from Nuke Med consult.

So here is the deal (with no deviations - this is their protocol and they do not deviate from it)

4 weeks off levo - starting now
4 weeks on LID - starting monday
May 21 check in for he believes a dose of 200 millicurries (he may change it but he is pretty sure that is what he wants me to have)
I will be in hospital for 3 to 4 days.

No thyrogen, no cytomel, no weekly blood tests to see if I can go earlier.

Looks like I'm in for a fun time! I'm keeping positive. I'm on TDI, hubby is working, we'll manage OK. I'm going to rest and let myself get through this and get on with my life! :-)

Reply Reply