It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
(female)

Worried47 HB User
Question Thyroid

My tsh results are .236 therefore, my PCP ordered more lab test to check my antibodies, one antibody test shows normal. However, he's now waiting for my other antibodies results. Anyhow, in the meantime he had me go for a thyroid ultrasound and the results of that are normal. It reads: The right lobe measures 4.1 x 1.5x1.5 cm. The left lobe measures 3.8 x 1.6 x 1.3 cm. Heterogeneous thyroid parenchymal echotexture without evidence of a discrete nodule. My understanding is that if my ultrasound was normal, there would be no concern of thyroid cancer and no reason for a thyroid scan. Am I correct? or am I missing something? Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
(female)

Worried47 HB User
Re: Thyroid

I am new to this site. I'm not sure if I'm posting correctly or where to check for responses. Can anyone assist me? thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worried47 View Post
My understanding is that if my ultrasound was normal, there would be no concern of thyroid cancer and no reason for a thyroid scan. Am I correct? or am I missing something?
You are correct.

And, to expand on the lack of a reason for a thyroid scan, the scan is basically obsolete and exposes the patient to unnecessary radiation.

Now, are you dealing with any symptoms that prompted these tests?

If yes, you need more than a TSH test. I'll expand on that once you let us know how you're feeling.

And, last but not least, welcome to the board.

The following user gives a hug of support to sammy64:
Worried47 (04-20-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
Worried47 (04-20-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
(female)

Worried47 HB User

I really don't have any symptoms of a thyroid condition, just that my tsh results were low and my PCP said it's a thyroid condition. Therefore, he sent me for a ultrasound. However, he's insisting that if my second antibodies bloodwork doesn't come back normal like the first one did, he wants me to have a thyroid scan to look for secreting nodule's. I said to him, well I thought the normal ultrasound ruled out any nodules, and that I've done research and found thyroid scan's are not good to have done. This is why I'm so puzzled as to if a ultrasound is the true testing to see nodule's or not? I've tried searching all over the internet my question and can't find an answer. Therefore, I found this site and joined. I'm new don't please excuse any error's I may make. I'm just now looking over and trying to figure out the site. Thanks for all of your assistance and understanding if I make error's.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Are you saying you have no symptoms whatsoever? (vs. symptoms of a thyroid condition) If you do have symptoms, perhaps you'd be inclined to share them here.

A low TSH in and of itself is of no concern. Since TSH is a pituitary hormone, your doctor should look at your actual thyroid hormone levels if he thinks you have a thyroid condition. The best tests for that are the FreeT4 and FreeT3.

PS Please don't worry about any errors on here - you haven't made any that I've noticed

Old 04-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
(female)

Worried47 HB User

No, symptoms what so ever. I have to have blood test every 3 months because of being a type 2 diabetic, high cholesterol and for liver function due to taking lipitor. However, he always orders all test to be ran. March's results showed a low TSH level and that's when he ordered a ultrasound, blood test to check my antibodies. The blood test for the first set of antibodies were normal. He then told me he's waiting for the results on a second set of antibodies and if that's not normal, he wants me to have a thyroid scan. Again, that's where I'm confused to if my ultrasound showed normal, why would you want to to a thyroid scan. I really don't want to go for the thyroid scan if my antibodies results are negative, because I've read that the iodine is not good for you. Therefore, I guess I want confirmation that if a thyroid ultrasound is a accurate test for a thyroid and if it's showing it's normal, why would I need a thyroid scan.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm glad to hear that you don't have any symptoms.

Unfortunately, many doctors haven't kept up with things related to the thyroid.

The scan is unnecessary. It's within your rights to decline tests so, if you are uncomfortable with it (I was), you could decline (as I did).

Old 04-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
(female)

Worried47 HB User

yeah, I would love to declin. However, I will"ve it done if a Ultrasound is not a accurate test and the results could be wrong. That's what I'm trying to find out.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User

Is it me, or is your doctor jumping the gun? It seems you would need your results for FT3 and FT4 before determining that you have a thyroid problem. Did he check for those?

The Following User Says Thank You to bee01 For This Useful Post:
Worried47 (04-20-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
(female)

Worried47 HB User

Bee, Hi there! I'm really don't think he's jumping the gun by be thorough. Just don't think he knows all he thinks he does when it becomes to the thyroid anyways, just saying. I was just wondering if my ultra sound shows normal results, then why the need for a thyroid scan if a ultrasound showed no nodule's. Thank You for responding to me. Different opinion's and advice helps me make my decision's much easier.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
(female)

Worried47 HB User

Bee, I meant to ask what is a FT3 FT4 test? he's done antibodies test and told me my first set is normal, waiting on the second set. Would that be the FT3 FT4 test?

Old 04-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worried47 View Post
Bee, I meant to ask what is a FT3 FT4 test? he's done antibodies test and told me my first set is normal, waiting on the second set. Would that be the FT3 FT4 test?
Hi Worried,

No, T3 and T4 are hormones produced by the thyroid. The TSH is a pituitary hormone, meaning it is made in a small gland in your brain. It is not a thyroid hormone but merely represents (theoretically, anyway) how much the brain has to stimulate the thyroid to do its job of producing thyroid hormones.

The Free T3 and Free T4 tests are the direct measure of how much of these thyroid hormones are freely available for your body to use. It is necessary to measure these hormones in conjunction with the TSH because the TSH doesn't tell you the whole story. Doctors are often quick to think that a low TSH means you are hyperthyroid but sometimes a you can have a low TSH with low thyroid hormones (ft3. ft4) as well. This is referred to as secondary hypothyroidism- in this case, the pituitary is not doing its job of stimulating the thyroid. Low TSH can be found in tertiary hypothyroidism as well, which has to do with dysfunction of the hypothalamus (best to look these up, too much to try to explain here and I really don't have much understanding of it anyway).

Do you have a family history of thyroid disease? I am assuming he's testing you for Grave's antibodies but perhaps he is testing you for Hashimoto's antibodies as well.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
(female)

Worried47 HB User

Thanks for the information. I am looking at my blood test results and do see that my Free T4 is 1.00 and it says normal. However, I don't see a T3 test. You're right now that you mentioned it, he did mention Hashimoto's Thyroiditis Disease. However, I'm still puzzled as to why if my second set of antibodies test comes back and isn't normal he mentioned doing a thyroid scan and my ultrasound shows no nodule's, I reminded him of that and he tried telling me that there could still be a nodule and something about secreting. Sammy reminded me that the radiologist would've recommended further testing on my report in which I have a copy of. No, no family history of thyroid problems. I'd be the first.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:59 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Well, I'm not familiar with secreting nodules but I would think a secreting nodule would secrete additional thyroid hormone but your FT4 is very low. I would think it more like to be a pituitary issue, since both TSH and FT4 are low. Try researching secondary hypothyroidism. I suspect, since you have no symptoms, that your FT3 levels must be pretty good. T3 is the more active of the two hormones, it is 4 x more potent than T4. I would definitely ask to have your FT3 levels checked. If they are also abnormal, I think an MRI of the pituitary would make more sense than a radiological scan. I am no doctor though, so hopefully someone else will pipe in and share their opinion too.

Reply Reply