It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 12:40 AM   #16
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: Low T4 to T3 conversion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee01 View Post
Should I split the doses in two in the beginning? Does taking it sublingually make a difference?
Splitting the dose doesn't hurt - it can make the "ride" more even. NTH tastes a bit funny (or crap to some ) - I think usually people swallow the pills with water, many after chewing them.

Looking foward to hearing good news in the future too

The Following User Says Thank You to FinnMaid For This Useful Post:
bee01 (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Several studies have shown that taking desiccated thyroid sublingually accomplishes nothing (except to "enhance" the taste).

Thyroid hormone molecules are too large to be absorbed through the skin so, swallowing the tabs is still the most effective route.

According to what I read in "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Thyroid Disease", the thyroglobulin in desiccated thyroid allows for a slower release of the T3 in it so that's why many people are able to take it in one morning dose.

For those who are more sensitive to T3, dividing the dose into AM/PM has helped.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
bee01 (04-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #18
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User

Thank you both for your responses. I think I will try swallowing it in the morning in one dose. I thought about splitting the dose but it really is so small as it is. Plus. I am having to do vitamin supplement acrobatics between my prenatal, my calcium, and iron, and having to work around taking thyroid pill twice might be too much.

I am a little nervous about what my new doctor considers to be an optimal range for TSH and free T's. She said she wanted TSH between 1 and 2 (fine, though personally, I hope it ends up being closer to 1) and the Free T's above the 50th percentile. I'll see how I feel once I am there but I do hope we can aim for the upper third if my symptoms are not resolved.

Does 30 mg seem a bit low? I know my TSH is not that high but my FT3 of 2.0 seems to be scraping the bottom of the range barrel?? I am getting ahead of myself. I suppose I should wait the 6 weeks until I get new labs drawn and try to stop obsessing.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #19
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
I am a little nervous about what my new doctor considers to be an optimal range for TSH and free T's. She said she wanted TSH between 1 and 2 (fine, though personally, I hope it ends up being closer to 1) and the Free T's above the 50th percentile. Does 30 mg seem a bit low?
Keeping your TSH between 1 and 2 and be optimally treated is virtually impossible when on NTH. The T3 in your med will suppress your TSH, even with a lowish dose. FT4 usually is relatively lower than FT3 when taking NTH, don't worry about it if you're having no problems and your symptoms subside. 30 mg is a low dose but as your med contains T3 it is smart to start on a low dose and over time work your way up.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 04-25-2012 at 09:09 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to FinnMaid For This Useful Post:
Canadianmom74 (05-05-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #20
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User

Finnmaid- I totally agree. To be fair, I did ask her where she wants my levels to be, hoping she would say upper third. When she said "above the 50th percentile but not too high" I thought I might end up having to beg her to up my dose eventually. Because, really, what is the point of doing this if I'm not going to at least TRY to achieve the right dose, even if it results in a level she's not comfortable with. I know I am getting ahead of myself, always worrying about the next obstacle.
Interesting though- she says she doesn't like to check FT3 because it is too unstable but rather likes to check T3 total. I could be making this up but I thought FT3 was relatively stable and T3 fluctuates with hormones?? Perhaps because I will be on a T3 med- could that be why she wants to check T3 total? Finnmaid- what does your doctor check?

Old 04-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #21
Inactive
(female)

Sorry, Finnmaid, now I can't remember if it was you or Midwest who was taking desiccated thyroid.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #22
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
I could be making this up but I thought FT3 was relatively stable and T3 fluctuates with hormones?? Perhaps because I will be on a T3 med- could that be why she wants to check T3 total? Finnmaid- what does your doctor check?
This is what I would think too. Not saying freeTs couldn't be affected slightly by changing female hormones but I would not trust total T3 completely anyway. Our lab doesn't even have total T3 test on "the list" anymore - and my endo wouldn't check it if he could. (I have taken synthetic T3 so I have FT3 on "my list" too )

Last edited by FinnMaid; 04-25-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #23
Inactive
(female)

It's the opposite here (western NY). I've never seen FT3 on the list of available blood work, only T3. I've had to fight (literally ;-) really hard to even get it checked. Either way, my T3 was unchanged after 3 weeks of synthroid 25 mcg, so maybe it is stable after all?

Old 04-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #24
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Either way, my T3 was unchanged after 3 weeks of synthroid 25 mcg, so maybe it is stable after all?
If in the future when you get more labs to compare, you find that your total T3 levels pretty much correlate to your symptoms/not having symptoms then testing it is certainly better than nothing. Being symptom free should be the goal.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 04-25-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:34 AM   #25
Inactive
(female)

I got a call from my pharmacy yesterday saying that there is a shortage of 30 mg acella np thyroid and they can't order it. I went onto acella's site and they are saying 2-4 weeks. So frustrating. I think my local Walgreens has it on the shelf- they said the container has been open. Should I worry about purchasing a product that has been open for a long time? What is the shelf life of desiccated thyroid, assuming it's been kept in ideal conditions?

Old 04-26-2012, 05:31 AM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

I read that the shelf-life of desiccated thyroid is 90 days.....

I would think the expiration date is printed on the packaging.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
bee01 (04-26-2012)
Reply Reply