It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
(female)

mamaTOa HB User
Recommendations for Doctor in the Austin Area

Anyone have a good recommendation for a good THYROID SAVVY doctor in the Austin, TX area? I am in search of a new doctor as my endo and I have been agreeing to disagree one too many times for my liking...Anyway, any suggestion would be much appreciated. Thanks!:

Old 04-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User
Re: Recommendations for Doctor in the Austin Area

I found this through a search but I have never seen him personally. You may want to do some research before booking an appointment.

Dr. Ron Manzanero, Family Practice, 911 W. Anderson Lane #205, Austin, TX

The Following User Says Thank You to bee01 For This Useful Post:
mamaTOa (04-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
(female)

mamaTOa HB User

Hey Bee,
Thanks for the info. Actually, I also did some research on Dr. Manzanero to not much avail as far as reviews, ratings, etc. Do you live in the Austin area as well?

Old 04-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User

Hi, not from Austin- am in upstate NY.
Did you search for reviews? unfortunately, i am not allowed to post the original site.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

I started taking note of doctors that were recommended on here since thyroid-savvy doctors seem SO hard to find.

My memory is telling me that Midwest1 mentioned a doctor in Austin but it was before I started keeping records.

I think bee01 accessed the same site I just did......Dr. Ruthie Harper is also listed.

She prescribes Armour which is a med progressive doctors prescribe for hypothyroid people. If Armour is prescribed in appropriate amounts, TSH will be suppressed.

So, if Dr. Harper is comfortable with suppressed TSH in her Armour patients, one would think that she would understand the suppressed TSH a Graves' patient would have.

Following this line of thinking, Armour-friendly doctors might be helpful with Graves' patients. Some forum members had success with getting contact info from local pharmacists (including compounding pharmacists) for doctors that Rx Armour. Not every pharmacist will provide this information so it makes sense to try more than one.

Doctors that prescribe another type of thyroid med - Cytomel - also tend to be more thyroid-savvy so that's another avenue you might pursue with a pharmacist.

Last edited by sammy64; 04-21-2012 at 07:39 AM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
bee01 (04-21-2012), mamaTOa (04-21-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
(female)

librarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaTOa View Post
Anyone have a good recommendation for a good THYROID SAVVY doctor in the Austin, TX area? I am in search of a new doctor as my endo and I have been agreeing to disagree one too many times for my liking...Anyway, any suggestion would be much appreciated. Thanks!:
Hi mamaTOa,

It is hard to find a thyroid savvy doctor in Austin. I heard good things about Dr. Ron Manzanero but he doesn't take insurance. I would love to see him but I think the charge is like $300 for the initial visit. Luckily I found some good ones in the past 5 years that DO take insurance:

- Kelly Shook @ Victory Medical Center. She is a Physician Assistant but she knows her stuff. Iodine, FT3, FT4, etc. She's part-time but she is usually booked easily so make an appt. quickly.

-Dr. John S. Kim @ Victory Medical Center. He is really good at his job being a FP doc. Very analytical and knows his stuff about thyroid. He will spend time talking about stuff a bit long which is why sometimes the wait for him can be a bit longer than normal. However, I see this as a plus as he tries to analyze what is going on and educate you at the same time. In general, Victory Medical is very open about Armour/dessicated thyroid and are not closed-minded about alternative therapies.

-Dr. Richard Wiseman @ Wiseman Family Practice is a great doctor and he looks at FT3 more than anything. He has good knowledge of Armour, Synthroid, everything else in between.

I hope this helps. Let us know about your visits and how they went.

The following user gives a hug of support to librarygirl2:
mamaTOa (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
(female)

mamaTOa HB User

Librarygirl,
Can't thank you enough!!!! Dr. Wiseman is right in my area so I will be sure to make an appt. with him tomorrow.

Funny, I found out someone I know had Graves' and she knew a great doc...turned out to be the Endo I just fired lol. I don't disagree she may be a good doc, just not for me!

Do you mind me asking if you are hyper or hypo and who your doc of choice is/was?

Thanks so much, I really appreciate the info :-)

Old 04-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
(female)

librarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB User

Hi MamaTOa,

I think you will like Dr. Wiseman. He has been practicing for about 30 years and told me treating thyroid is "easy". OK. That statement floored me b/c there are so many different types of hypothyroid.

I am hypo and have hashi's. I truly "love" Kelly Shook if you want to be flexible with when you want to test, which medication, etc. She does analyze really well and tries to problem-solve. She is not so compliant where you think you are doing all the work but she will try to figure out something that both of you will agree on. However, if you want someone to take the reins 100% then go with Dr. Kim. Dr. Wiseman is great as well and he does know what he is doing. Like I said, he does look at FT3 and knows that is just as important as TSH and FT4. Dr. Wiseman also likes compounded FT4/FT3 to the 80%/20% specification and I think it's like $60/month but you should ask him about it. The compounding could be better than Armour should you want to go to the dessicated thyroid direction. I found out about Dr. Wiseman through the compounding pharmacy, The Apothecary Shop, and they recommended Dr. Wiseman for thyroid doctor. Calling the compounding pharmacy was an idea I got from some thyroid site to determine which doctors are knowledgeable in treating thyroid. Don't remember the site but it was a great tidbit to know.

My history of thyroid started about 6 years ago and I have tried almost every combination known to thyroid communities. In the end, I stuck with Synthroid only because dessicated or Cytomel did not mesh with my physiology. It would make me feel better initially but then I would crash even with great lab numbers. My 2 cents is that finding the right prescription helps but it will not be the panacea for it b/c your body depends on sleeping at normal hours, eating well, exercising, getting a good amount of sunshine, and thinking positively that you're getting better and that you will feel good. I spent so much time trying to figure out the best combination for me that I ultimately neglected to take care of myself physically, nutritionally, and mentally. Stay on a med for at least 6 weeks. There will be lots of ups and downs along the way before it stabilizes. At the 6 week mark, your body will tell you if it needs adjustment.

Good luck and let us know how your appt. went with whomever you choose.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
(female)

mamaTOa HB User

LibraryGirl,
Unfortunately, my PCP that I saw today referred me to the same Endo!!!! Maybe it's just me but "everyone" seems to recommend her. Smh...

I made an appt with Richard Wiseman, which is not until later next month. But in the meantime, I made another appt with an Endo downtown. Have you by any chance heard any good things about Dr. Jeremy Wiseman, the other doctor in the same practice?

I am hyperthyroid, btw. (Graves) I am really hoping I can find "the one" soon or I will be w/o a doctor...Anyway, thanks for all of the info!!! Will keep updating...

Old 03-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
(female)

thobuon HB User

Hi mamaTOa,

I am recently diagnosed with Grave's / hyperthyroidism by my GP. Do you have an Austin endocrinologist that you can recommend? I want one who would be open to alternative treatment as I would prefer not to do the radioactive pill or anti-thyroid medications. I hope that it could be treated with dietary changes, exercise, etc. Your advise and suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
(female)

mamaTOa HB User

I have seen 2 endos in Austin and both have not helped me, one pushed surgery and tried to overdose me on meds. I see a family practice doctor (Dr. Jeremy Wiseman - Wiseman Family Practice) who lets me steer the ship, so to speak. We work together by doing labs every 3 months, checking FT4, FT3, and TSH every time. Also, we go by how I feel, which is crucial. I have to say though, I am his ONLY hyperthyroid patient with Graves and because I feel I am strongly advocating for myself, I feel comfortable (for now) seeing him. We kind of educate each other on the topic along the way and he supports alternative/homeopathic treatments, which I really like. Btw, I am off meds now for about 3 months, hence the 3 month labwork. I was doing labs every 4-5 weeks on meds.

If you look back at the thread, librarygirl left some good recommendations for docs in the South Austin area as well. I'd advise you to see as many docs as you can, especially if you have insurance and find 'the one.' Good luck and keep me posted.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #12
(female)

thobuon HB User

Thank you, mamaTOa, for your advise. I am unfamiliar with how insurance works. My GP is pretty open minded, it seems. I do not wish to switch primary care provider. I do not know if I can go to different primary care (ie, if I were to see Dr. Wiseman). I guess I will wait and see that the endo has to say, which will not be until a month from now.

I am glad that you are doing well.

Thank you.

Reply Reply

Tags
thyroid disorders