It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User
Experiences with Thyrolar, Naturethroid, Acella?

Hi,

I have an appointment with a holistic doc tomorrow, after my reproductive endo refused to take my low thyroid function seriously.
I have been on synthroid 25 mcg for 6-7 weeks now (I do realise this is not a therapeutic dose).

My initial lab results, before synthroid, were as follows:

Feb 1, 2012
TSH 2.88
FT4 0.9 (0.9-1.7)
T3 (total) 87 (80-180)

Feb 8, 2012
TSH 2.3
FT4 1.2 (0.9-1.7)

After 3 weeks synthroid
TSH 2.13
FT4 1.2 (0.9-1.7) Unchanged
T3 (total) 90 (80-180) unchanged
FT3 2.0 (1.8-4.2)

It's been about 3 weeks since the blood was drawn but I am not feeling any better, so I highly doubt my numbers will be very different. I am going to inquire about being switched to a T3 med but I'm not sure which way to go.

I don't want to use compounded med because I am afraid of pharmacy error; I am afraid of using animal thyroid because there seems to be a small chance of catching disease from an infected animal (am I wrong about this?); taking T3 separately seems like an aggravation (and I would forget); thyrolar seems to have a large proportion of T3 and is not customisable, though I am not sure there is any more T3 proportionately than desiccated thyroid.

Can anyone make any suggestions? So far, naturethroid appears to have the fewest number of fillers as far as desiccated thyroid goes. I see there is also a new generic desiccated called Acella but I don't have any info on that.

Is there not a desiccated thyroid or T4/T3 combo in gelatin/ oil capsules? Any idea why not?

I'd really appreciate hearing personal experience, especially from people who have low FT3 compared to FT4.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Experiences with Thyrolar, Naturethroid, Acella?

Since you've been on basically a non-dose of synthroid, you can also give that more of a chance, or you can also try tirosent, the new t4 medicine that doesn't have absorption issues.

If you do end up needing a t3 combo, people here have had good experience with naturethroid, you can read through old posts and see.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:
bee01 (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Acella, Nature-throid, Armour, and Erfa are all animal-derived. There are minimal differences in hormone content among them, but each contains 38 mcgs T4 and 9 mcgs per grain, slightly more or less due to mnfr. specs. The US brands are made according to USP standards for potency and stability; I'm unsure what standards the Canadian Erfa is made under. I suspect they're every bit as strict. The thyroid tissue comes from USDA inspected porcine stock obtained from packing houses that provide pork for the table. To fear disease would be a "Chicken Little" mentality, IMO.
Imported bovine thyroid sold OTC is another story, one too risky for me.

I used pre-reformulated Armour with great success for about 6 years. "New" Armour didn't work for me. I switched to Nature-throid, again with great success until they changed their filler the same way Armour did; then it stopped working. During this time of horrible limbo, I switched to much pricier compounded med (but at least I had something.) Once dessicated users discovered Erfa from Canada, I switched to that with pretty good results. Now that Acella has been getting good reviews from users who say it's formulated much like "old" Armour, I've switched to it... Mostly because it's costing me a lot less than mail ordering from Canada (which wasn't nearly as bad as the cost of compounded.)
There you have it.

Thyrolar is no longer manufactured.

Last edited by midwest1; 04-23-2012 at 01:38 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
bee01 (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User

Thanks, Midwest.
The thing is, pork for the table has the extra protection of rather thorough cooking. I know this does not truly protect you; even the protein prions from mad cow's disease can survive extremely high heat. It just creeps me out though. I do wish there were a synthetic version that were comparable.
I thought about Erfa too but I believe the porcine powder is imported from Belgium? I'm nervous about it as is, would prefer USDA inspected.
How are you liking Acella so far?

Old 04-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

If I wasn't doing so well on synthetics, I would have pursued the desiccated thyroid route.

I like the convenience of being able to change my T4 and T3 doses separately. Taking my afternoon T3 dose is so ritualized for me that I rarely forget.

The few times I have forgotten, my body let me know and I immediately took my dose (I keep my T3 in my purse). Aside from feeling ever-so-slightly different for a few hours, I was no worse for the wear.

No matter what, people with low FT3 levels still need *some*T4. The brain and pituitary need fresh T4 to convert on-the-spot. It makes sense to me to aim for a FreeT4 level close to mid-range, at least.

And, it's not uncommon for people who start T3 to actually experience a drop in their FT4 level - it's a biochemical thing. Maybe that's the body's way of letting a person know that it also needs T4.

Last edited by sammy64; 04-23-2012 at 02:32 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
bee01 (04-23-2012)
Reply Reply