It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hashimoto & Extreme Joint Pain

Dr. John Lowe's work in fibromyalgia is ground-breaking and impressive. He determined it's actually faulty thyroid metabolism at work. T3 is the treatment.
Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum is also a well-renowned expert in the field.

Autoimmunity is the immune system gone amok... Where the body makes auto-antibodies that attack healthy tissue as if it were a foreign invader like bacteria or virus. Hashi's auto-antibodies attack thyroid tissue. You husband also might have a second autoimmune disease responsible for that severe degree of pain. There are over 80 identified AI diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis, type I diabetes, multiple sclerosis, scleroderma, etc. Hashimoto's and Graves' are the two thyroid AI diseases. People who have one AI disease are predisposed to having others. I have two myself; Hashimoto's and immune thrombocytopenia, which is a blood disease.

While your husband would indeed benefit from prescription thyroid hormone treatment, he shouldn't stop looking for other reasons for such severe pain, which isn't likely to be solely due to Hashi's.

I hope you find answers very soon.

Last edited by midwest1; 04-24-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #17
(female)

m4torres HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Dr. John Lowe's work in fibromyalgia is ground-breaking and impressive. He determined it's actually faulty thyroid metabolism at work. T3 is the treatment.
Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum is also a well-renowned expert in the field.

Autoimmunity is the immune system gone amok... Where the body makes auto-antibodies that attack healthy tissue as if it were a foreign invader like bacteria or virus. Hashi's auto-antibodies attack thyroid tissue. You husband also might have a second autoimmune disease responsible for that severe degree of pain. There are over 80 identified AI diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis, type I diabetes, multiple sclerosis, scleroderma, etc. Hashimoto's and Graves' are the two thyroid AI diseases. People who have one AI disease are predisposed to having others. I have two myself; Hashimoto's and immune thrombocytopenia, which is a blood disease.

While your husband would indeed benefit from prescription thyroid hormone treatment, he shouldn't stop looking for other reasons for such severe pain, which isn't likely to be solely due to Hashi's.

I hope you find answers very soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #18
(female)

m4torres HB User

Thank you everyone for your helpful information. I'm going to look into those books so that it gives me a better understanding of what is going on.
Last week he had a flare up, his legs are swollen with fluid and he's in a lot more pain.
He is being treated with synthroid for the thyroid but like some of you have said the gland functions at different rates for people which totally makes sense. I'm going to have a GP pull past physical records before this started to see what the thyroid function was at.
We have an appointment with a Rheumotolist on May 7th so will see what happens from there.

Does anyone else get fluid built up in their legs when they have flare ups? And can you get flare ups when the thyroid is function normally-so the Endo says? Or this maybe another autoimmune disease? Just thinking out load if anyone has expercienced this.

Thank you again for all your help. It well appreciated!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

I wouldn't say I had "flare-ups"

I had edema virtually everywhere when my thyroid hormone levels were too low for me. The lower the levels, the worse the edema.

I was amazed at just how much bone definition I had lost when it finally returned after my levels were optimized.

Endos tend to think thyroid function is "normal" when the patient's thyroid hormone levels (FreeT4 and FreeT3) fall anywhere within the normal range. They are sorely mistaken...very, very much so.

Last edited by sammy64; 04-28-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4torres View Post
I'm going to have a GP pull past physical records before this started to see what the thyroid function was at.
This is a very good idea.

Please be forewarned, though - there's a chance your husband was dealing with thyroid disease before it was detected.

His lab results will tell his story.

If you share them here (with ranges), we'll show you how to interpret them.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:27 AM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

Sammy is right,also I had fluid buildup 'feeling" when my levels are off,my friend at work who I begged to go to the doc about it,
( for a year and a half) came to work with puffy eyes,face,hands swollen and a feeling that her shoes were too tight.I knew all her symptoms were thyroid related. Her tsh came out at 140! Your husband's levels may look "normal" but get the copies, he will probably be too low in the range like sammy said. A lot, get edema. My friend is only 42.

Reply Reply