It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User
Question What diet will help with Hashimotos to LOSE weight!

I was just started on Cytomel with my synthroid. I was gaining rapidly and went for tests as it is a sign my thyroid is off. My T3 was Low...hence Cytomel. Having lot of nausea ect but hoping that goes away...? NOW I want to start a major diet. I need to drop 15 lbs. What is the best diet to lose weight on when you have Hashimotos? Weight watchers? Jenny Craig? I did Body By Vi and GAINED weight...I was told due to the soy and then mixing it with soy milk. I did not know soy affected the thyroid. I would really appreciate some input. Nothing fits and summer is here.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: What diet will help with Hashimotos to LOSE weight!

I'm not familiar with the Jenny Craig program but, I did do Weight Watchers a few times. I know my GP at the time recommended WW since it's based upon healthy eating principles coupled with exercise. I definitely lost weight following the program but, I wasn't crazy about it since it seemed I was always thinking about food - either planning the menus, figuring out the points, etc.

After years of dieting only to join the 95% of dieters that re-gain the weight they lost, I decided to forget about diets and eat like a healthy person.

Choosing the right foods, portion control and allowing myself a treat every now and again did the trick. I basically ate the appropriate number of calories for my ideal weight and the weight slowly came off. I've been able to maintain the loss for over 5 years now.

I have always been an avid exerciser and I know that, too, helped with losing the weight and keeping it off.

In retrospect, I was probably following the principles of WW without having to think as hard.

Last edited by sammy64; 04-28-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Hypothyroidism impairs glucose metabolism, so a diet that excludes simple carbohydrates will probably work better than one that doesn't. My daughter is hypothyroid and chooses not to treat it. She lost more than 75 lbs. on the South Beach diet, which is the type of diet that excludes simple carbs. IMO, there's no magic in SB per se, but rather, it's the low carb feature of it that promotes success.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:05 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User

South Beach diet is a pretty simple diet to follow. I never really followed it to the letter. You can have lean meat, veges, healthy fats, nuts and dairy. Try to stay away from fruit and sugar. I've always felt that eating fat is ok; it's the sugar that packs on the pounds.

I would recommend looking into the Paleo diet. It's quite a commitment to give up modern foods but it's ok to cheat now and then, and I really do believe it's the type of food most humans were meant to eat. I also felt less restricted than when I was on South Beach, probably because I was only following it about 80% of the time.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

starryGal09 HB UserstarryGal09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionqueen View Post
I was just started on Cytomel with my synthroid. I was gaining rapidly and went for tests as it is a sign my thyroid is off. My T3 was Low...hence Cytomel. Having lot of nausea ect but hoping that goes away...? NOW I want to start a major diet. I need to drop 15 lbs. What is the best diet to lose weight on when you have Hashimotos? Weight watchers? Jenny Craig? I did Body By Vi and GAINED weight...I was told due to the soy and then mixing it with soy milk. I did not know soy affected the thyroid. I would really appreciate some input. Nothing fits and summer is here.
I know someone that was dxd w/Hashi's in 05 (at 19 yo). Along with PCOS, gluten sensitivity, many food allergies, chemical sensitivities, leaky gut... SO....NOW, she is GLUTEN FREE. There ARE other grains-quiona, rice etc. It isn't easy but it can be done. NO CORN. Not in FOOD, Popcorn, drinks (high fructose corn syrup) or personal products and supplements/vitamins! NO PEANUTS of any type or form (there is raw/organic nuts and butters that actually have health benefits instead!) NO SUGAR - this was difficult. She uses organic green stevia. Took some time to get used to, but health is important so she stuck it out.

NO CANOLA--this is just crud. NO SOY (unless it is FERMENTED). NO genetically modified ingredients/organisms -ever. NO corn fed dairy/cattle/fowl/fish. ONLY GRASS FED!!!

She went from 210 to 170 and is STILL losing. Is on a NEW compounded thyroid - but A LOT LESS than what she was taking and is elim/rotating offending foods. She is now working on a fungus free diet to help, too. NO JUNK. Just pure clean organic foods and NO SUGAR/CORN/PEANUT. (No alcoholic beverages. NO SODA!! Just water/unsweet juice or tea).

Her energy is amazing. She takes iodine too!!!

GOOD health to all

Last edited by starryGal09; 04-29-2012 at 07:16 AM.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
(female)

Songbird55 HB UserSongbird55 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryGal09 View Post
I know someone that was dxd w/Hashi's in 05 (at 19 yo). Along with PCOS, gluten sensitivity, many food allergies, chemical sensitivities, leaky gut... SO....NOW, she is GLUTEN FREE. There ARE other grains-quiona, rice etc. It isn't easy but it can be done. NO CORN. Not in FOOD, Popcorn, drinks (high fructose corn syrup) or personal products and supplements/vitamins! NO PEANUTS of any type or form (there is raw/organic nuts and butters that actually have health benefits instead!) NO SUGAR - this was difficult. She uses organic green stevia. Took some time to get used to, but health is important so she stuck it out.

NO CANOLA--this is just crud. NO SOY (unless it is FERMENTED). NO genetically modified ingredients/organisms -ever. NO corn fed dairy/cattle/fowl/fish. ONLY GRASS FED!!!

She went from 210 to 170 and is STILL losing. Is on a NEW compounded thyroid - but A LOT LESS than what she was taking and is elim/rotating offending foods. She is now working on a fungus free diet to help, too. NO JUNK. Just pure clean organic foods and NO SUGAR/CORN/PEANUT. (No alcoholic beverages. NO SODA!! Just water/unsweet juice or tea).

Her energy is amazing. She takes iodine too!!!

GOOD health to all
Ok! You got my attention! I have 15 pounds that is going to go, one way or the other!
Along with hypothyroidism, I was just diagnosed with gluten intolerance. The saliva test range is <10 is negative for the gliadin antibody. I came in at 48. He called it a hard positive.
So, I've removed all Gluten from my diet, except for the one time I was accidentally gluttened at a restaurant, but I will spare you the details of how I knew this had transpired. You'll thank me later. Ha!
My question is this.
Why no corn products in your friend's diet. Corn doesn't contain gluten.
Or is this just what works for her? Thanks, Robin

Old 04-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User

songbird- the paleo diet is gluten free.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

I'm on an alternative doctor's newsletter list and recently read that corn products might be contaminated with trace amounts of mercury.

Since we know about the concerns of the cumulative effects of radiation over the course of one's lifetime, there is thought that corn products pose a similar danger due to potential mercury content.... at least to the extent of triggering autoimmune disease.

Of course, much research needs to be done.

Apparently, high fructose corn syrup is really bad for us as well.

I'm not sure if this is the reason starrygal's friend avoids corn but, I'm just sharing what I've read.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
(female)

Songbird55 HB UserSongbird55 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee01 View Post
songbird- the paleo diet is gluten free.
Looking this up now. Thank you!

Old 04-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

starryGal09 HB UserstarryGal09 HB User

Corn is sugar. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. It is very important when fattening herds of cattle, fowl, etc. Corn is one of our nations MOST fungi laden grains. Fungus can become a systemic infection that is difficult to treat and the beginning of many diseases, when those fungi begin to emit mycotoxins.

Animals that eat the fungus, that we then eat, can affect our health as well. (zearalenone - produced by fusarium molds. on corn - in corn cereals and corn meal and fed to cattle as well) Not to mention what all that antibiotic used in our meats and dairy may do to our health!

She was also tested and found to have a sensitivity or reaction to corn and soy. And beef/chicken/turkey (possibly because THEY eat the awful stuff?).

You might want to have your adrenals tested. Possibly run some food allergy tests as well. What we were told is she is probably leaking the culprit out of her intestines due to not digesting them well enough and having the response.

So add leaky gut to her list, too. That we are repairing with probiotics, veggies, and no corn for sure.

Last edited by starryGal09; 04-29-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Reply Reply