It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #16
(female)

brusselsgriffon HB User
Re: Hypothyroidism T3 and T4 both low

Thanks Sammy64. I am taking Thyroid/EFRA I have been doing all the things you mentioned - I have been diligent.

What would be a normal next step? gradually increase another 30mgs or sit at 15mgs for 6 weeks? I was shocked my THS took such a big jump, but the free levels did not - is that common?

I have been taking large amounts of DGL and mastic gum since January ( 1 hr. separate from thyroid med) - which both help the intestines heal - as I have been dealing with ulcers in my duodenum. I assume if my TSH is improving it should mean that these supplements are not negatively affecting the FT3 and FT4 levels??

Old 07-29-2012, 05:00 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Per the prescribing information, desiccated thyroid is usually increased in 15mg increments with another 15mg dose increase after two weeks....and then labs 6 wks. after that.

Since your levels show much room for improvement, I hope your doctor will approve a 30mg dose increase as just described.

Now, I'm a little confused with your history. Just how long were you on 60mg before those June labs? We need to be on a particular dose for a full 6 wks. to get accurate labs.

And, it seems as if you should have had a dose increase after those June labs....maybe you typed "June" when you meant to type "July"?

Since you've only recently (in thyroid time) started meds, it's common for the TSH to be really the only thing to move....your body is getting enough hormone for it to lower it's production of TSH but, not enough to make any progress with your blood levels of T4 and T3.

I wouldn't make assumptions about supplements not affecting blood levels. I know that fiber is best taken at least 4 hours away from thyroid meds. I suggest you take your "digestion-related" supplements at least 4 hours away, just to play things safe.

Last edited by sammy64; 07-29-2012 at 05:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2012, 06:17 AM   #18
(female)

brusselsgriffon HB User

Good Morning,

To my relief the doctor gave me a 30 mg does increase (15mg for 2 weeks and then add the full 30 mg which equals 90 mgs as a full dose) - her idea

Although she did say - the FT4 does not matter as long as it is in range- she only worries about the FT3???????

Also she felt that the ferritin levels are good enough - anything over 50?
March (2012) I was at 33 (12 - 300)
July (2012) I was at 71 (12 - 300)

What is a healthy range for Ferritin?

This doctor is a temporary as my regular doctor is on maternity leave.....

Perhaps this last dose increase will be all I need! Fingers crossed

I have purchased 2 books - What your doctor may not tell you about Hypothyroidism and The complete Idiots guide to Thyroid Disease. These books do a great job explaining TSH and the 'new' levels for healthy TSH. But I cannot find references to healthy Ft3 and Ft4 levels- just that they are important. I would like to have back up in writing/referenced that I can share if need be - with health professionals. Is there a well recognized researcher or writer that I can access this information from?

Thanks!

Last edited by brusselsgriffon; 08-01-2012 at 06:21 AM. Reason: missed info

Old 08-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Congrats on getting the dose increase you needed!

It seems that doctors who don't suffer with hypothyroidism themselves think we only need adequate FreeT3 levels since T3 is the active hormone.

They fail to realize that certain parts of the body require "fresh" T4 to convert to T3 so, we need adequate stores of T4 (as measured by the FreeT4 level).

Since you are taking desiccated thyroid, you could be like most people and be fine with a FreeT3 level that is proportionately higher in the range than your FreeT4 level.

If your doctor optimizes your FreeT3 level (gets it to the upper third/quarter of the range) and you have ongoing hypo symptoms, that's a sign your FreeT4 level is inadequate. The addition of a small dose of synthetic T4 (levothyroxine) can help in situations such as this.

Dr. Leslie DeGroot, noted endo and co-author of thyroid textbook "The Thyroid and Its Diseases" maintains an online thyroid textbook called "Thyroid Disease Manager".

The section on hypothyroidism mentions the types of levels healthy people have - it make sense that any doctor treating hypothyroidism would try to achieve similar levels for his/her patient.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
brusselsgriffon (08-01-2012), LPD (08-01-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #20
(female)

brusselsgriffon HB User

Quick update - so I am making progress!

Latest results on 90mg (1.5 grains) of Thyroid

FT3 - 5.9 (4.0 - 7.6)
FT4 - 15.9 (9.0 - 23.0)

Pretty much mid range, but my TSH is .03

The doctor says she is okay with this if I feel fine - which I do. I see others say their TSH is this low and it is okay as long as you are not feeling hyper...the number does worry me though.

I am thinking if staying at this dose for 3 months and seeing how my body adjusts. If the TSH stays low then I could try lowering to 75mgs.

Any thoughts?

My improvements: skin not as dry, not painful hands at night waking me up, no night sweats, drastically improved menstrual cycle, not as tired, cholesterol numbers improving ( get newest results for those tomorrow).

New side effects: really bad acne on forehead, chest and back. They seem to be like boils - the same pimple will last for months!

Same: no weight loss, pain in joints

Reply Reply

Tags
acne, ferritin, free t3, free t4, hypothyrodism