It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
(male)

kappy1 HB User
Radioactive Iodine Pill

hi all
the wife is going to take a low dose pill friday, have to stay home 5 days
and the list of dont's is quite large, anyone have expireance with this low dose.
I don't know how she is going to keep the cat away from her, doctor said 3 ft for me, flush twice so on and so on.. we don't have children so that is good,
but doc said also if she had to go out to the store or something ok.
how critical are these. .. we are going to do are best.
I cannot lock up the cat. thanks for any info..

oh also how are the side effects? she had to get 2 shots before,
3 days in a row to the radioligist.. 40 bucks a pop too..

Old 05-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Radioactive Iodine Pill

My friend had low dose, but she treated it as if it was higher dose (I think she had around 40 millicuries or something like that).

The first three to five days, I think your wife should really not go to the store---what if she is near a child or a pregnant woman---has to wait on a line or something---or sneezes or coughs? She wouldn't want to put someone unknowingly in danger, it's not worth it. I think she should be extra conservative---also, for your thyroid protection you should sleep separately, and not be with one another for extended time periods that first 5 days (ie, don't sit near eachother watching tv, stay at least 6 feet away).

The time will go quicker than you realize---better to be conservative than have regrets years down the road---good luck! She shouldn't have any side effects with a small dose other than some salivary gland swelling/achiness, which advil and drinking a lot of fluids will help. She shouldn't be surprised if she loses her taste buds in a few weeks, temporarily. The more fluids the better for the radiation as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
(male)

kappy1 HB User

thanks Reece obviously you remember me, and give some good advice, you are right she was not going to go out around anyone, anyway, just menrtioned the doc said if she needed too, I take care of her for sure.. yep we have the sleeping arrangements all set, now what about the cat she is 12years old.. can she pet her and the cat sit by her.. she will shu her away of course, but do i need to lock doors, and keep the cat completely away? you are the only one I get replies from, I have helped some other people on here I hope, through our expiereance also thanks

Old 05-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Hmm....I don't know much about cats....--each day she will be less and less radioactive...so she can spend more and more time.....it shouldn't be on her lap, or close to her neck where she will be "hot"----if you have a good vet, you might want to ask how diligent you need to be? I also had a radiation safety officer who was available for me to ask questions to.

I think you can use your judgement.....you are really a great husband...your wife is so lucky to have you around through this!

The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:
kappy1 (05-11-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappy1 View Post
you are the only one I get replies from
Reece is our only "regular" with knowledge and experience about your wife's type of situation. I know I'm grateful for her presence.

And, without a doubt, by you sharing your experiences and Reece sharing hers, we all learn.

I just have nothing to offer other than my best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
kappy1 (05-11-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
(female)

Looloo123 HB User
Wink Re: Radioactive Iodine Pill

A friend had treatment, don't know how much, but she used bindit and was really pleased, she said their website had a lot of helpful tips. Hope this is helpful

The Following User Says Thank You to Looloo123 For This Useful Post:
kappy1 (05-11-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 02:22 AM   #7
(male)

kappy1 HB User

looloo I cannot find anything on bindit, what is it? thanks

Old 05-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #8
(female)

Looloo123 HB User

Hi,

Had to run last night. bindit is some kind of kit for cleaning up radioactive iodine. I just did a search, and you can find it by searching radioactive iodine safety. I hope this helps.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:05 AM   #9
(male)

kappy1 HB User

Reece no problem so far, 2nd day she feels fine, what a show they put on with that pill, scared her more than anything, glad her cancer doctor was there, she is the best doctor, made her feel great, it was 30 millicuries and then they check with a gieger counter to make sure she swallowed it. things are going well, next week, they are giving her a whole body scan, to make sure she is clean,, thanks again for your support
Rick

Old 05-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

So glad all going well!

Old 05-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #11
(female)

CanDoGal HB User

I'd treat the cat like I'd treat anyone else - he/she needs to stay away.

I know cats get thyroid issues. While I was struggling to get my doc to test me, my cat got her T3 levels run in a basic "senior lab" she needed due to other issues. Sheesh. Maybe I should go to the vet for thyroid help? :-)

I know it sounds mean, but squirt guns do work to get cats to back off. Or hissing. They understand both. It might affect the cat's relationship with her for a little while, but he/she will get over it. Could you close the cat off in another room?

Good luck to you and your wife.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
(male)

kappy1 HB User

thanks for the comment, we have been keeping her away as much as possible, wifes door is shut at night, and I am upstairs at night with the cat.
we both stay at least 5 ft from her for the most part. passing by each other now and then. toady is the last day, they said 5 days.. hopefully we are good to go..

Reply Reply