It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
(female)

Camirae HB User
Pregnant, Hypothyroid, What Do I Do Now?

I am 17 weeks pregnant and just got my latest labs back.

In March, my labs were:
FT4: .87 (.82-1.77) 5% of the lab range
FT3: 3.1 (2.0-4.4) 46% of the lab range
TSH: <.006

I was on 3.5 grains of Armour (actually, NP Thyroid by Acella)
Doc told me to change my dose to 2 grains and add in 112.5mcg Synthroid (1 1/2 75 mcg pills) due to my FT4 being so very low.

NEW labs (2 months later) are as follows:
FT4: 1.07 (.82-1.77) 20% of the lab range
FT3: 2.9 (2.0-4.4) 37% of the lab range
TSH: <.006

Doc says stay at dosage bc my TSH is still very low and I'm "in range" now.

I am frustrated bc I still have so much brain fog and no motivation. I am not a couch potato bc I am raising 5 kids, but I am NOT where I should be RE: energy level, motivation, etc. And I feel so depressed. As though there is no joy in anything anymore.

I don't know what to do now...is my TSH really that worrisome? I would much prefer to be higher in these ranges as well, but if he's worried about TSH, then what? (This doc is amazing so this is really throwing me for a loop. He comes highly recommended off the Top Docs list.)

Anyway, I had Grave's 20 something years ago so I have no thyroid anymore. My meds have to replace it fully.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Camirae; 05-14-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Pregnant, Hypothyroid, What Do I Do Now?

TSH should be disregarded completely when taking Armour, NP, Erfa, or other natural thyroid. TSH naturally becomes suppressed due to the T3 in the med. My own TSH hasn't been higher than .02 for about 8 years now, but my MD understands that it doesn't matter, as long as the FTs aren't excessive. Any MD who prescribes natural thyroid ought to "get" that, but amazingly, some still don't.

It appears your NP shouldn't have been reduced, just some T4 added to it. I'm concerned that your FT4 is still too low to sustain a pregnancy. I would have a discussion with that doctor, telling him that you'd like to maintain your FTs at least in the upper half-to-third of their ranges. I'd ask for a restoration of the 3.5 grains NP so that your FT3 returns to where it was. You still might need as much as 112.5 mcgs of Synthroid as well, since your FT4 now still isn't where it should be.

I once won a dose increase by telling my MD that, even though my levels were within range, maybe they still weren't my "normal". He immediately agreed. I suggested another member use that argument, and it worked for her too. Couldn't hurt to try it yourself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
(female)

Camirae HB User

midwest1, I tried.

I updated in this thread: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/901057-what-earth-my-doc-talking-about.html#post4980811

Old 05-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I think in early pregnancy the tsh is affected, I think by growth hormone or something? I think there's a connection between growth hormone and tsh, particularly in pregnancy. Perhaps that's why it seems so suppressed?

Is it possible for you to see a high risk obgyn or a reproductive endo for a visit to discuss this in more detail? I wouldn't want to play around too much with meds too much when there's a pregnancy involved without the assistance of some professionals.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
(female)

Camirae HB User

It's not like I'm not in range though. People have babies all the time with undiagnosed hypo, and mine is only a bit under treated. I don't feel the need, I guess, to see anyone else, especially now that the baby has his/her own thyroid working.

Reply Reply