It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
(male)

synpase321 HB User
Being Hypo and Zinc

I had a thyroid test last week (dr won't give figures) which came back as normal.

I then started taking zinc supplements for 4 days and then a I had a repeat test on the fourth day which came back border line hypo.

I have had several tests for thyroid function test in the past year and half. And whenever I take any sort of supplements I have border line results be it zinc or proteins.

Has anyone else had this problem?

The gp won't say either way when I am hypo or not but justs keeps repeating the test.

Is this normal in the Uk?

Old 05-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User
Re: Being Hypo and Zinc

I don't know the answer to your question, however, I wanted to add that taking zinc in excess can deplete your copper reserves. How much are you taking? Why are you taking zinc- was your zinc level low? I know low zinc levels can affect the conversion of T4 to T3, which would raise your TSH. No idea about high zinc levels though. It doesn't seem as though taking normal doses of zinc for 4 days would have that much effect on your zinc level or thyroid.
Doing a quick internet search led me to the conclusion that high levels of zinc can lead to anemia, which can exacerbate hypothyroidism. Again, after 4 days, that shouldn't be the case.
TSH fluctuates quite a bit and it could be coincidence that you are testing on days that your TSH is higher.
You should test first thing in the morning because TSH is higher then. Also, I would really insist on getting your results. I don't know how it works in the UK but in America, a patient is entitled to their medical information.
Is your Dr also testing your free T4 and Free T3?
If you can afford it, I would go to a private holistic doctor who is well versed in thyroid care. I thank my lucky stars that I don't have to deal with the NHS.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Patients of the NHS in England and Northern Ireland have rights to their health records just as we in the US do. For specifics, search for 'NHS patients' rights'. I would never be the patient of any doctor who tried to refuse access to my own lab reports.

TSH fluctuates daily, in circadian rhythm. The differences you see may be related to nothing more than that.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
(male)

synpase321 HB User

I am taking Zinc 25mg to improve my sperm count as looking to have another child.

It is probably useful to ask anothe doctor in the surgery for my results.

Getting access to medical records in the UK costs up to £50.00 but anything that can

have an adverse effect on the patient gets removed.

I was wondering whether if you are diagnosed do you have see an edo in the UK or does the gp do it.

MY symtoms at the moment:

wrist feel sore
constipation
resting heart beat of 104 per min.
depressed
panic attacks
general weakness like finding it heard to get up from lying down. I have had en ecg which came back normal.

my brother has addisons disesae and my sister has hypo. So it does run in our family.

My greatest thought is that if I am diagnosed as hypo would it stop the harsh panic attacks I get with suitable meds or is that just a pipe dream?

Old 05-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
(male)

synpase321 HB User

Hi

I have been given the results of last two tests for the thyroid function test from another GP.

02/05/2012 tsh 4.75

10/05/2012 tsh 6.31

I believe ready else where that a figure above 10 is classed as being hypo by uk dontors.

6-10 is borderline.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
(male)

synpase321 HB User

Hi

I have been given the results for the thyroid function test from another GP.

02/05/2012 tsh 4.75

10/05/2012 tsh 6.31

I believe reading elsewhere that a figure above 10 is classed as being hypo by uk doctors.

6-10 is borderline. He also said that taking zinc supplements is not going to help because I am trying to treat something that is not there if that makes sense

Last edited by synpase321; 05-21-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User

That's very unfortunate because those TSH are indicative of hypothyroidism, not even borderline. If it helps the AACE (American Association of Clinical Endocrinoligists) recommends a lab range of 0.3-3 for TSH and the NACB (National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry) recommends a TSH lab range of 0.4-2.5. A TSH greater than 2 is suspicious for hypothyroidism. My hypothyroidism caused infertility and I have never had a TSH greater than 3.3- it's been as low as 1.25! I would insist on having Free T3 and Free T4 checked as well. Since you are in the UK, you probably won't have much luck with NHS doctors and need to go private. What city are you in? I can send you some info on top recommended doctors for thyroid care.

Reply Reply