It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
(female)

helpthemom HB User
My update

Since being put back on Synthroid in January, I feel so much better. Last month my TSH was 1.7! My FT4 was 1.8 and I don't remember what my FT3 was but they were both at the high end of the range, which is good, right?
The NP was VERY excited about my levels. She came into the room and asked me how I was feeling and when I said "great", she jumped up and said "Your numbers are great so I was hoping you'd say that!". She did say that she wouldn't even mind seeing my TSH go under 1 but until my next check in August, she didn't want to change anything.

On occasion, I feel tired and take naps, even being on Adderall, but my 14 month old has been cutting his molars for the last 2 weeks so night time sleeping is something of miracle. My skin has made drastic improvements. I was starting to get dark, thick spots on my ankles, elbows and knees that no amount of lotion or pumacing helped. It is almost back to being normal skin. My periods are much lighter and less painful. My toe nails aren't cracking and brittle. The only thing that hasn't improved is my hair. It's still falling out. It was growing back before my idiot PCP took me off meds and then started falling out drastically when I stopped. I'm holding onto hope that my hair will improve with time.

Thank you to all of you who guided me to ask what tests to push for and for encouraging me not to give up on finding a Dr. that would listen to me and how I was feeling. While I'm not 100% me, I feel that I have 98% of my body back and that alone is AMAZING.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
Re: My update

I'm so glad to read this post! thanks for sharing. Glad to hear you feel so much better.
Hair loss might take some time.

I hope things keep improving for you and keep us informed!

Old 05-17-2012, 04:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: My update

This is all great news - congrats!

Since you just started back on meds in January, I don't think I'd wait until August for next labs.

I, too, had significant improvements with both labs and symptoms early on but it didn't last. My experience isn't uncommon.

People who are new to thyroid hormone replacement should really get labs every 6 wks. to make sure those good levels "stick".

Your TSH is on the high side for someone taking Synthroid and it's clear your NP recognizes that most people optimally medicated on Synthroid will have TSH 1.0 or lower.

It's because of your TSH that I think you'd want to follow up with labs sooner.

Also, I'm not sure if you took your meds within 6 hours of the blood draw. If you did, that could have skewed your FreeT4 level higher.

Since you're on the right track now, I share these tidbits with you in the hopes you'll be able stay on the right track.

Last edited by sammy64; 05-17-2012 at 04:44 AM.

Reply Reply