It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
(female)

utsa HB User
Leg Swelling from Levothyroxine

Does the swelling ever go away? If so, how long will it take? Is this because of an allergic reaction to the medicine?

I've only been on Levothyroxine (100 mcg) for 3.5 months and noticed the area on my leg (above my ankles) are slightly swollen and red. The area also gets extremely irritated when I shave my legs, which I never experienced before taking Levo. I also experienced once that after I showered, I had rows of small, circular uniform bumps.

Also, my sister and I were diagnosed with hyperthyroidism at the same time. We have different doctors. Her doctor made her get a biopsy, but mine didn't. Is this something I need to be concerned about?

Last edited by utsa; 05-17-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
Re: Leg Swelling from Levothyroxine

Welcome to the board, although I'm sorry for the reason you're here.

I'm not sure about an allergic reaction, since most of the times 1) that would occur sooner 2) is it only local (at your legs)?
is it something like pretibial myxedema (associated with Graves) or more hives like?

I would consult your doctor to have it checked out.

hang in there

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
(female)

utsa HB User

Thanks for the warm welcome. After researching the web, I've learned that my skin condition is, in fact, pretibial myxedema/Graves dermopathy.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

Next time you consult your doctor I'd make sure to mention it. If it's annoying they can give you something to ease the itching and stuff.

I on't know much about it, other then my own experience. I used to have pretibial myxedema on my leg myself. Never knew what it was (and did not ring a bell with the doctor either ) That was years before I actually got sick and received treatment, it flared up and would be gone some months later, so far haven't had it again. point being, yes it can go away. You started treatment quite recently so it might take some time.
You write you're hyperT, yet on thyroxine, are you on block and replace therapy?

Last edited by lisa789; 05-19-2012 at 11:34 PM.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
(female)

utsa HB User

I'm going to mention it to my doctor this week. I really hope it goes away. Thank you for being so helpful. -- I was diagnosed with Graves when I was extremely hyperthyroid, then I became extremely hypo after the RAI. I'm in the process of trying to find the right dosage with the Levo. I am almost 29 and would like to have my first child once my thyroid levels are stabilized.

Where you diagnosed with Graves also since you had pretibial myxedema? What has your experience been like? Were you able to conceive without any complications?

Old 05-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

always a good idea to mention it to your doctor. He can give you something to help with the itching. You want to avoid making it worse by scratching and stuff. what also helping in my case, avoid wearing socks or panties and moisturize.
Thanks for the clarification. As you know, finding the right dosage is important to feel well and the antibody production (those are the ones causing that).

I'm still working on getting optimal levels myself and once that's accomplished I can start thinking of a baby So in that regard I cannot help you with my own experience yet, but I know it's perfectly possible to deliver a healthy baby. As you might know, it's important to have levels closely monitored during pregnancy.
I was not diagnosed with Graves as such, I have both hashi's and Graves that's why I had pretibial myxedema (and TED).

Good luck!

Reply Reply