HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   Need some help with my hashimoto's (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/901530-need-some-help-my-hashimotos.html)

Melissa316 05-19-2012 12:39 PM

Need some help with my hashimoto's

Hello,
I am new here and I am hoping someone can give me feedback. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid after I had my daughter 5 years ago and then hashimoto back in December of 2009 after asking my Endo and blood test confirmed. I have been seeing an Endo for 4 years and recently my pcp referred me to another when he wouldn't consider prescribing Armour. When I saw the new Endo she completely blew off my thyroid as a reason for all of my symptoms( weight gain/inablility to lose weight, fatigue, brain fog, moody, depression) even though I told her that as my TSH got closer to a 2, the worse I felt. She said that I should accept myself because I had obviously tried everything to lose weight and it was just my genetics. I have struggled with my weight my entire life. She even recommended I get gastric bypass to lose the weight. I have some weight to lose (about 60lbs), but not enough to qualify! Needless to say, I left there more confused and depressed than when I got there. I got the nerve to send my pcp a message and told her what happened and luckily she offered to write my rx for armour and treat my thyroid. I took my last dose of synthroid(112mcg) on Tuesday morning and started my first dose of Armour(120mg) on Wednesday morning. I know it takes some time to adjust, but I forgot how bad it feels to start over :( I don't have my most recent free T3 and free T4 labs only TSH because they were taken by the new endo and she hasn't sent them yet, but told me my TSH over the phone.

5/1/12--TSH 2.2

11/7/11-TSH 1.86 (normal range .27-4.20)
Free T4 1.6 (.9-1.8)
Free T3 2.5 (2.3-4.2)

5/2/11--TSH 1.13
Free T4 1.4
Free T3 2.8

I have also cycled into a 24 day cycle which my gyno has given me a saliva kit to test my hormones throughout the day and my adrenal gland function. I am just hoping someone here can let me know if I am heading in the right direction. My pcp wants to run my labs again in 3 months, but have seen that I should be getting them at 6 weeks. I am so frustrated with feeling like this and have slowly realized that I have to take my health into my own hands and not depend on the doctors to do it for me. Any feedback is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

lisa789 05-19-2012 11:47 PM

Re: Need some help with my hashimoto's

Welcome to the board, although I'm sorry you're struggling like this!

I do think your symptoms still can be caused by your thyroid not being properly supplemented. (unfortunately doctors aren't always aware of that). Sure understand the frustration in that regard.

Your TSH 2.2 sure is still to high for a treated hypoT.
Unfortunately we don't have the FT4 and FT3 but in your previous results your FT3 remains low compared to your FT4, which indicated that you're not converting well and might benefit from adding T3. since you're switching to dessicated thyroid hormone (armour), which contains both T4 and T3, I'd think you'd benefit from that.
Of course it depends on the amount you're starting with. as far as I understand you were on 112 mcg T4 and started 120 Armour now.
I'm sure others are more knowledgeable in this regard. I'd think you might want to start off a bit lower. T3 is 4 times as potent as T4 (in theory), 1 grain (60 mcg) Armour is the equivalent of about 75 mcg Synthroid.
120 mcg Armour is the equivalent of about 150 mcg. so that could be too much.

Hang in there!

Melissa316 05-20-2012 04:57 AM

Re: Need some help with my hashimoto's

Thank you so much for your response and encouragement!

It's been so frustrating to know that I don't feel right and couldn't get a dr to listen. I know my pcp is trying, which is a relief, but still feel like she doesn't know a lot about treating my issues! I also have polycystic ovaries and was reading on here last night that it's common with hypothyroid. I have had polycystic ovaries since I was 20 and am starting to think that I have struggled with my weight so much my whole life because I was undiagnosed hypo/hashi's. I would always tell my dr's that I thought it was an issue, since my mom and grandma both were hypo, and I would get the same response. I feel like they look at an overweight person and assume that they have to be eating like crap and not exercising so they go over nutrition and give the name of a book and tell you to put the work into it. I have trained for and finished 4 half marathons and love to exercise. I know how to eat right and exercise. UGH!!!

I am so thankful for boards like these to share info and get advice!