It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
(male)

Kevin74 HB User
Is T3 and T4 testing needed?

I've had my TSH level checked and it was normal (1.26), but I have not had my T3 and T4 levels checked. I'm not sure why it was skipped, but since my TSH was normal is it still needed?

Old 05-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
(male)

drivel HB User
Re: Is T3 and T4 testing needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevina74 View Post
I've had my TSH level checked and it was normal (1.26), but I have not had my T3 and T4 levels checked. I'm not sure why it was skipped, but since my TSH was normal is it still needed?
If you have no symptoms, no.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
(male)

Kevin74 HB User

The only thing I'm concerned about is my weight, I've lost a little too much and I've heard Tyhroid can cause it.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

If you have symptoms then you should have those freeTs tested too. If they are currently fine then you'd have something to compare to in the future if some new symptoms appear.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
(male)

Kevin74 HB User

What kind of symptoms are you referring to?

Last edited by Kevin74; 05-20-2012 at 06:49 AM.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevina74 View Post
What kind of symptoms are you referring to?
One can have
Palpitations
Heat intolerance
Nervousness
Insomnia
Breathlessness
Increased bowel movements
Fatigue
Fast heart rate
Trembling hands
Weight loss
Muscle weakness
Warm moist skin
Hair loss
Staring gaze with hyperthyroidism (there are other symptoms too but I've copied this from the "Thyroid Information" thread).

With hypothyroidism one can have
slow heart rate
intolerance to cold
hair loss
weight gain
fatigue
"brain fog"
constipation
"air hunger"
dry skin and hair, brittle nails
joint pains
weakness
depression and/or other symptoms. Sometimes symptoms overlap.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 05-20-2012 at 07:53 AM.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User

Yes, you should have your free T's checked too (not plain T3 and T4 but FREE T3 and T4). TSH fluctuates a lot, throughout the day and from one day to the next. My TSH has been as low as 1.25 and as high as 3.31 and I am hypothyroid, so it really is of no use unless you have the Free thyroid hormones to go with it. Since you are losing weight, it's especially important for your doc to check your FT3, so don't let him tell you that FT4 is sufficient. I would also consider asking for thyroid antibody testing. It may only be necessary if your Free T's are suspicious but people with normal thyroid levels have been known to be affected by the presence of thyroid antibodies (which are often a warning of impending thyroid disease).
Of course, there are other reasons for weight loss. Diabetes is one that comes to mind. Your body may also not be absorbing nutrients. Do you ever have digestive problems? Diarrhea/ IBS problems can cause weight loss due to insufficient absorption. I would do your own research about causes of weight loss and ask to have testing done for various conditions. Don't rely on your doctor to think of all the possibilities- your health is more important to you than it is to him.

The Following User Says Thank You to bee01 For This Useful Post:
Kevin74 (05-21-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
(male)

Kevin74 HB User

Hello bee, thank you for your input. I have no digestive problems, no diarrhea. I don't believe it's diabetes, my glucose test was fine last time I checked. My appetite is fine and I've been eating more but don't see much weight gain. Over the course of 12 months, give or take, I've lost almost 30lbs. I don't feel sick but at the same time something just feels off.

I have experienced anxiety and insomnia, fatigue, I "feel" weaker tho my strength seems the same. I feel like my doctor focused too much on the anxiety and not enough on the other stuff. He thinks my weight loss was due to anxiety, and I'm sure it contributed, but the weight loss started before I had a severe anxiety attack last March.

Ive had a complete metabolic panel a complete blood count with diff, my TSH checked, even a rectal examine, and all came back fine. Still I'm not convinced that something is not right. I may be going back for more tests.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

So you do have other symptoms that could be thyroid related. Definitely ask to have those freeTs checked.

Reply Reply