It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
(female)

Deeh11 HB User
Should I be concerned?

About 6 months ago I had a severe pain the left side of my throat when I touched it. I also had pain in my jaw and ear. I went to my GP and he put me on antibiotics and sent me for a thyroid u/s. The u/s showed a very small nodule (less than 1 cm) and my thyroid was a little inflamed but not outside the normal limits of size. He wanted to check by blood levels every 3 months and recheck the u/s in 6 months. We assumed thyroiditis b/c the pain went away and I haven't thought twice about it until this week.

I went for my 6 month u/s check up and I didn't think anything would show up. The tech just said the thyroid had gone down but there was increased blood flow to the small nodule previously found. Again, I didn't ask questions, which was a mistake. My GP's nurse called later in the day and said they were referring me to a local Endo doctor for further evaluation. When I asked her why, she said that the nodule had grown but was still less than 1 cm. Not sure if it's timing or my mind playing tricks on me but my left ear is hurting again and my jaw is hurting as well. Should I be concerned this is cancer?

Old 05-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Should I be concerned?

No reason to think this is thyroid cancer yet. If the nodule grows bigger than 1 cm, it should probably be biopsied. But even then, the chances it wouldn't be cancer are better than about 95%. Even if it turns out to be cancer, it's completely curable more than 95% of the time. And lastly, it almost certainly wouldn't be causing pain.

Take one step at a time, and let us know what you find out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
(female)

Deeh11 HB User
Re: Should I be concerned?

midwest, thank you for your words. Sometimes you just need to hear it from someone you don't know. I called my GP's office back today to get more information. Apparently I have a complex nodule in the left lobe of my thyroid. The original measurement of the nodule was 8 mm and it grew to 9 mm over the 6 month time period. The radiologist recommended I see a Endo Doctor to get it checked out. My thryoid overall is normal size but probably on the upper end of the range. I am still have ear pain but not the jaw pain. So we'll see. My doc is sending my u/s pics over to Endo and now I wait for them to call me.

Reply Reply

Tags
ear pain and pressure, thyroid, thyroid nodule