It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User
Please help with lab results...

Okay – I got my physical lab results. Will be going over them with the D.O. today. But I was hoping to get some feedback as I am afraid this Dr. will be quick to prescribe meds. I just have trust issues I suppose. Anyway, would just like to hear suggestions, thoughts from others.

I had a bagillion labs taken…so I will put the ones I think may be relevant and the ones that are def. out of range. I do not know what all of them mean.

The primary symptom is palpitations primarly only the 7-10 days before my period. (PVCs, PACs and some short bursts of SVT – all said to be benign and just need to live with it). Also A LOT of fatigue.

TSH – 0.95

Ferritin – 15

Free T4 – 1.0

Free T3 – 2.8

Homocysteine – 8.2

Thyroid Peroxidase - <10

Lipoprotein – 42

Vit D – 73

DHEA – 339

Magnesium RBC – 4.9 (4.0 – 6.4) I take at least 800mg of magnesium per day…thought it would be higher

RBC – 3.97 LOW

WBC – 4.1 (4.00-10.0)

TIBC – 422 HIGH

B/C – 24 HIGH

CRP – 1.00 (says moderate…worried because it used to be very low)

Hgb (hemoglobin) 5.2 – no ranges listed

eAvg Glu – 103 (no ranges)

Cortisol – 17.3

Estradiol (mid-luteal) – 154

Progesterone (mid-luteal) – 10.7

Vitamin B12 – 1068 HIGH (I was taking 5000mcg per day until 2 months ago when I stopped…don’t know why it is still so high)

Folate - >22 (no ranges)

Old 05-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Please help with lab results...

We really need to see the ranges for your FreeT4 and FreeT3 results since different labs use different ranges for these tests. Your results can only be properly interpreted within the context of your lab's ranges.

I will tell you this much - if your lab uses the most common ranges for these tests, you are hyPOthyroid as I suspected.

The blood count abnormalities can be related to your thyroid issue.

And, your doctor didn't check the other antibody seen in Hashi's (the most common cause of hypothyroidism). Yes, you tested negative for Thyroid Peroxidase (antibody) but, what about Thyroglobulin antibody? People can test negative for one but, positive for the other and get a Hashi's diagnosis.

Your Vitamin D level is very good.

I don't know enough about the other results you posted to feel comfortable commenting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Here are the ranges (sorry I didn't add them before)

TSH - 0.34-5.60

Free T4 - 0.6-1.2

Free T3 - 2.5-3.9

Thyroid Peroxidase Autoantibodies <10 (less than 35 is optimal)

Thank you!!!

Dr and Nutritionist thinks I am very sensitive and even tho I am borderline low, it is affecting me. He also think I have adrenal fatigue.

They both think I am not absorbing nutrients like I should...something in my gut...She is going to go over my stuff and call me back. Ugh....

Old 05-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Nutrient issues can happen as a result of hypothyroidism.

Now that you've provided the ranges, you can see that your FreeT4 level is near the high end of the range - most people would feel great with that level.

However, your FreeT3 level is lower than most people would find comfortable so, it looks like you would benefit from some thyroid hormone replacement.

Your labs indicate that desiccated thyroid (larger proportion of T3 than T4) would work well.

A doctor might consider you "borderline" based upon your labs but, your symptoms clearly indicate that you are far from "borderline". I'm glad your doctor can appreciate your situation - let's hope he/she starts you on some thyroid hormone replacement.

If you do indeed have adrenal fatigue, it needs to be treated before or during treatment for hypothyroidism. Otherwise, you're at risk for hyper symptoms.

Good luck.

Last edited by sammy64; 05-21-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User

Based on your RBC and ferritin level, you are definitely anemic. Keep taking the B Complex (but not B12 alone as it could cause imbalance in other B vitamins). B Complex and Vit C help with iron absorption. I have had good luck with floradix iron and herbs, as it does not cause constipation and comes from food sources.

I would recommend that you have your Vit A retinol checked as well. Low ferritin and hypothyroidism make it difficult for your body to convert beta carotene to Vit A and since you are already not converting T4 to T3, your liver may not be doing a good enough job.

DHEA-sulfate (DHEAS) is a better indicator than DHEA of high androgen levels, if that is your concern. DHEA is the pro-hormone. What is the range for this? If it is similar to the range for my lab, you appear to be on the high side. This number also reduces as you age and there are ranges for various age groups.
Your mid-luteal progesterone is on the low side. If you are trying to get pregnant, then this level is not enough to sustain a pregnancy. Though it DOES indicate that you ovulated, a good mid-luteal progesterone should be at least 15 ng/ml, and 20 ng/ml is better. Do you have a short luteal phase? (ie less than 13 days?)

Our levels are very similar- both magnesium and ferritin. I am also borderline with my magnesium levels- are you taking magnesium at the same time as Vit D3, zinc and calcium. Those 4 should be taken together, separated by 4 hours from iron or thyroid hormone. I've also heard that using magnesium oil is a good way to raise magnesium levels, though I have not tried it myself because I read that it stings and can cause a rash. It might be worth the risk to avoid those magnesium horse pills. I thought I had it rough with 400 mg but 800 mg is a lot of pills.

What time did you have your blood taken? Was it between 7 and 8:30? If so, that cortisol level should be ok (I think). I'm not certain what optimal AM cortisol levels are but I think they should be towards the top of the range in the early morning and should ideally be measured within an hour of waking. I think my lab range went up to 19.8.

Don't worry about your B12 being high. Mine was over 1000 too. I take 50 mg B Complex because it helps the liver to metabolise estrogen. I've read that you want to be at least at the very top of the range or a bit above for B12.

I don't know about mid-luteal estradiol levels. I only know what they should be on cycle day 3 and on LH surge day. I do know that estrogen/ estradiol surges again at around 7 days after ovulation (which can often be seen as a BBT dip), so it would make sense that your mid-luteal estradiol was similar to mid-cycle estradiol. I *suspect* though (and I am no expert) that your estradiol levels might be higher in proportion to your progesterone levels. Ideally, you should have your estradiol remeasured on cycle day 3 and just before ovulation if you are concerned.

The range for HBA1C (hemoglobin...) is 4-6%, though it is better to be closer to 4% (in my opinion). It's an estimate of your glucose levels for the past 3 months. This number is extrapolated to determine eAverage glucose. This is thought to be more accurate than measuring glucose directly because it is not affected by what you recently ate. I would think that, in addition to these tests, the best measure of glucose and insulin resistance is the glucose & insulin tolerance test (too much to explain here but worth looking up).

Your TSH looks suspiciously low for how low in the range your Free T's are. I think your doctor should investigate the possibility of secondary (pituitary) or tertiary (hypothalamic) hypothyroidism. They are rare, I think accounting for only 5% of cases but worth looking into. It wouldn't hurt to have your thyroid panel repeated right before you ovulate, or at least the second week of your cycle. This will be the time of highest estradiol and when you are most likely to have an elevated TSH, with low Free T's (it was with me, anyway).

I think your homocysteine level looks ok. Is the range 5-12?

I don't know much about CRP. Have you had your cholesterol levels checked?

Old 05-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User

Missy- I was just looking through some of your previous posts and you mentioned having fibroids. The slightly elevated CRP could be as a result of inflammation. CRP is used as a marker for inflammation in studies of fibroids and endometriosis. And, as you may have guessed, both are intimately connected to hypothyroidism and estrogen dominance. Your doctor may be right in advising you to try progesterone cream but I think that may be putting the cart before the horse. It is possible that hypothyroidism is underlying your hormonal imbalances and uterine issues.
I would think taking desiccated thyroid would be a good option for you. I also recommend BBT charting before and during treatment so that you can determine if it is improving your cycle.
BTW, I always notice that I have lighter, easier periods when I use natural progesterone, whether in cream or suppository form.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee01 View Post
Based on your RBC and ferritin level, you are definitely anemic.

DHEA-sulfate (DHEAS) is a better indicator than DHEA of high androgen levels, if that is your concern. DHEA is the pro-hormone. What is the range for this?
Your mid-luteal progesterone is on the low side. Do you have a short luteal phase? (ie less than 13 days?)

Our levels are very similar- both magnesium and ferritin. I am also borderline with my magnesium levels- are you taking magnesium at the same time as Vit D3, zinc and calcium.

What time did you have your blood taken? If so, that cortisol level should be ok (I think).

Don't worry about your B12 being high. Mine was over 1000 too.

I *suspect* though (and I am no expert) that your estradiol levels might be higher in proportion to your progesterone levels.

Your TSH looks suspiciously low for how low in the range your Free T's are. I think your doctor should investigate the possibility of secondary (pituitary) or tertiary (hypothalamic) hypothyroidism.

Have you had your cholesterol levels checked?

Anemia - I thought the same thing. Especially since I have a growing fibroid that causes A LOT of bleeding 1-2 days per month. But Dr. didn't seem concerned. However, my nutritionist who I am now working with per his suggesting said that it could be causing a parasitic like problem as far as my lack of nutrient absorption.

Both the Dr and the nutritionist thinks that the DHEA is low and overcompensating because the cortisol is too high. My 8am was ok...but the 4pm (which I did not list, but was about 10) was too high. This is one thing they want to get under control first, I guess. Though I am not sure how. She is going to go over all of my results and get back to me today with her suggestions (supplements).

I dont have the DHEA range with me. But they said they dont really pay much attn to the ranges - more the clinical diagnosis. And I do have the typical 28 day cycle. As far as the phases, I have no idea.

Weird thing about the magnesium...I take about 800-1000 supplemental mag per day in various forms and throughout the day. I do not take any calcuim at all. Nutritionist said it wasn't necessary and competes with the mag absorption and I have clearly been deficient for a long time.

I had my blood taken at 8:25 am. Suppose to be 8am, but they were late getting me in. And then I had the 2nd cortisol taken at 4pm.

The weird thing about the B12 - I had been taking 5000 mcg for quite some time. It really helped with energy (which I really noticed when I stopped taking it and wanted to sleep all day). I stopped taking it about 6-8 weeks prior to these tests. My PVCs/PACs were almost obsolete for 6 whole weeks. I thought I was in heaven. Havent had such a "remission" in a LONG time. Naturally I assumed it was due to quitting the B12. However, as devestating it is to admit...they have returned this week. Last night was just awful. Several per minute for over an hour. And then every few minutes. But neither of them thinks it had much to do with anything or to worry about it. Except nutritionist thinks the B12 isnt getting into my cells. She said it is staying in my blood and that there must be a gut connection. She think I need enzymes.

According to her, You are completely correct about the estrogen/progesterone levels. She said the est was too high and pro was too low (even tho both in normal ranges) for that time of the month. They both agree I should be on a progest. cream the 10 days before my period, which is exactly when I get 99% of my Palps.

They both also thought that my T3 is too low. But neither mentioned hypo or hyper.

So, that is all I know for now. I hope to hear about treatment options soon. She wants to start slow and easy because I am so overly sensitive. I have a huge fear that any treatments will make the PVCs worse or cause weight gain. I am very concerned about those possibilities.

Thank you SOOOOOO much for all of your help...all of you. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it!!!

Old 05-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee01 View Post
Missy- I was just looking through some of your previous posts and you mentioned having fibroids. The slightly elevated CRP could be as a result of inflammation. CRP is used as a marker for inflammation in studies of fibroids and endometriosis. And, as you may have guessed, both are intimately connected to hypothyroidism and estrogen dominance. Your doctor may be right in advising you to try progesterone cream but I think that may be putting the cart before the horse. It is possible that hypothyroidism is underlying your hormonal imbalances and uterine issues.
I would think taking desiccated thyroid would be a good option for you. I also recommend BBT charting before and during treatment so that you can determine if it is improving your cycle.
BTW, I always notice that I have lighter, easier periods when I use natural progesterone, whether in cream or suppository form.
I will insist on natural for sure!!! What is BBT? It seems that the nutritionist and Dr want me to go a supplemental route instead of meds. Do you think any of these issues can be helped by going that route??

I know she mentioned doing several things (tho probably one or two at a time).

1. Adrenals...fixing the DHEA/Cortisol issue

2. Enzymes for the gut to help with something called intrinsic factor?? And help with absorption of nutrients.

3. Up the T3 values

4. Up progesterone during week prior to period.

As far as the fibroid...it has grown 1.4 to 2.7 in a little over a year. Dr. is suggesting hyster. but at 38, I am just not ready for that. And he said it wouldnt change anything except the heavy bleeding.

Honestly all I care about right now are these damn palps, fatigue and difficulty losing weight. But mostly the palps...they are horrible.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

A BBT chart is a basal base temperature chart. You would take your temperature every morning immediately upon waking and track it on a chart. Your temp should be low in the first half of the cycle, when estrogen is dominant and rise after ovulation, when progesterone *should* be dominant. There are many good, free sites out there that help you track your BBT, though I am not permitted to post them here.

I honestly don't know anything about leaky gut. I have seen it referenced in articles about low T3 because the intestine is where some of the T4 is converted to T3. That's as much as I know about that though.

I've also noted from many members on the thyroid board that having adrenal issues can complicate thyroid hormone supplementation and it is best to optimise your adrenals before attempting to address the thyroid issue.

I have a hard time with your FT4 lab range because it is so low compared with most FT4 lab ranges. I don't know if being towards the top of the lab range of .6-1.2 is as "optimal" as being at the top of a 0.8-1.8 lab range. Perhaps you might ask your doctor about that. Different labs use different testing kits and I don't know that FT4 measurements are universal, even if it's measured in the same units.

I think you are right about the DHEA being low. I think my lab was actually a DHEAS measurement and was read to me incorrectly over the phone because both of my other labs are DHEAS measurements.

Are you taking selenium? Perhaps consider having your levels checked. Low selenium, magnesium and zinc levels can hinder T4 to T3 conversion, as can adrenal issues, stress, chronic dieting/ anorexia.

Calcium is important to women's health. Most women don't get enough calcium in their diets. I was hoping that my daily double latte would contribute towards calcium intake but, sadly, caffeine is a diuretic and causes your kidneys to excrete the calcium too quickly. Don't take my word as gospel but my understanding is that calcium and magnesium work together and that taking too much of one will cause an imbalance in the other.

The Following User Says Thank You to bee01 For This Useful Post:
missy101 (05-22-2012)
Reply Reply