It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
(female)

girlfriday7678 HB User
Question Can someone with experience explain my ranges?

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's almost a year ago. I'm on 88mcg Synthroid and have been since my diagnosis. Here are my ranges and the labs normal ranges, also. Since my first visit, they only check my T4 and TSH at my checkups. I'm confused about my T4 jumping everywhere and my TSH continually dropping. Also, why they aren't concerned about my TSH after last checkup. They didn't change anything. I don't go back until August.

Labs Range: T4 (.89 - 1.76) TSH (.3 - 3.00)

(8-9-11) T4 - .83 TSH - 5.320
(9-30-11) T4 - 1.47 TSH - 1.120
(1-6-12) T4 - 1.08 TSH - .778
(4-5-12) T4 - 1.35 TSH - .330

Old 05-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: Can someone with experience explain my ranges?

TSH can have a "life of its own", the changes in it don't always seem "rational". Better to look at your FT4. There may be some function in your thyroid that can fluctuate or there may have been something temporary affecting the absorption of your med, you just have to keep an eye on those labs and symptoms and adjust the dose when needed.

Now your current TSH is on the low side yes, but there's no reason to worry about it if your freeTs are within range and you don't have any hyperT symptoms. Your current FT4 looks ok so if you feel fine there really is no reason to change anything. If you still feel a bit hypoT there's room to increase the dose a bit, despite low TSH.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 06-01-2012 at 09:27 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to FinnMaid For This Useful Post:
girlfriday7678 (05-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
(female)

girlfriday7678 HB User

Thank you so much, Finnmaid. It's all so confusing, and at the beginning, before my GP sent me to an endo I had an ugly episode I don't want to repeat.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User

You really need to have FT4 and FT3 tests done. That is stored hormone and useable hormone. Besides TSH, those are the most important tests according to some top thyroid docs.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
(female)

girlfriday7678 HB User

That is FT4, sorry. I'm not sure why he stopped checking the FT3 at each visit.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, that makes no sense since the FT3 test tells him how much gas is going from your tank to your engine so to speak.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

All i really know is when my TSH is higher than 1.0 I don't feel well, can't think straight and my feet hurt.

So it doesn't seem right to want your TSH to be higher. That is actually not a good thing--not for me anyway.

as for the other levels, i am not sure but the above post explained it.Again, besides the T3 and T4, the TSH for me is a real marker. It needs to be low in my case.

The best I ever felt was last year and they could hardly detect the TSH and called me one day freaking out. He then reduced my synthroid and of course then my TSH went sky high and I felt awful.
They should have left me alone and it would have all evened out.

Now they know better. It has only been 3 years since my surgery, so I am still a work in progress I guess.

Last edited by golfhat; 05-28-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

One thing to remember as a rule of thumb.

"If TSH is too high, blood hormone is low. If TSH is low, then blood hormone is high."

That sentence is what the lab put on my first lab results 3 years ago to help me understand why regulating TSH was very important as well as the hormones running around freely thru your blood.

This is very simplistic explanation.....because the procress the thyroid and pituitary go thru is actually very complicated.

But it explains to you, WHY TSH is important to look at. then the other hormones also. Unless they look at ALL of it, they only get half the picture.

Most people do well when TSH is low.

Last edited by golfhat; 05-28-2012 at 09:30 AM.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Most women do best right around 1.0 but if your system is really sensitive, then going up to 3.0 which is the limit, probably isn't a good thing for you. Many doctors are now learning to treat the patient by how they feel, rather than by the numbers, as each one of us will react differently at different levels. I do best at 1.0 too, and when I get above 2.0 I start to feel it with no energy and the skin on my forehead gets thick and rough. Get me a tad above 3.0 and my hair starts falling out.

You know the number that you feel best at, so stick to your guns and keep your Synthroid at a level that you know works for you.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #10
(female)

girlfriday7678 HB User

It is all so hard to understand. I've had some symptoms lately, but I've also been under some stress, so I'm not sure what is causing things. Thank you all for your replies. I'm looking forward to my next visit with the endo to ask some questions. I've seen him twice in this year, the initial visit and the followup. Since then I've only seen his PAs for my checkups. And they aren't a whole lot of help.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Be sure to always get a hard copy of your test results so you can compare them to other results. If you study up on the FT4 and FT3 tests and why they are both so important, before long you'll be able to understand what is going on and what you need to insist on being done.

The Following User Says Thank You to ssMarilyn For This Useful Post:
girlfriday7678 (06-04-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User

I agree- you need to know your FT3, since that's what could be causing your TSH to drop. At the same time, if you feel good, then I wouldn't be concerned about a low TSH. Be sure to check your levels at the same time of the month every time- this may mean checking every 8 weeks instead of 6.

The Following User Says Thank You to bee01 For This Useful Post:
girlfriday7678 (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #13
(female)

girlfriday7678 HB User

The office does send my results to me, so I do like that. I will ask him about the FT3 next visit. Thank you all so much for helping me.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee01 View Post
I agree- you need to know your FT3, since that's what could be causing your TSH to drop. At the same time, if you feel good, then I wouldn't be concerned about a low TSH. Be sure to check your levels at the same time of the month every time- this may mean checking every 8 weeks instead of 6.

Why check at the same time of the month? I've never heard that from any of the books written on the subject by MD's....

Old 06-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User

Because fluctuating hormones can have an effect on thyroglobulin levels, which bind thyroid hormone. It may not have much effect for most people but it certainly does for me.

Reply Reply