It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3
lalapoo HB User
Thryoid Test - Dont understand results! Help please?

Hi,

I got my blood tests back today.
They didn't test me for FREE T3, TOTAL T3, and not TOTAL T4 either.
I cant understand why they didn't? I get so frustrated .....

The blood test results:
FREE T4 (FT4): 16
Range: 12.0-22.0

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH):
TSH: 1.12
Range: 0.27-4.20

As I'm thinking, if I understand the test results correct is that I got both HIGH FT4, and also HIGH TSH. Is this correct?

And if so, should I force my doctor to take the other T3 tests as well?
Please help me.

 
Reply With Quote
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 05-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Taunton, Mass
Posts: 3
Mrslazaro HB User
Re: Thryoid Test - Dont understand results! Help please?

Both of your results are within range. You are normal!

 
Reply With Quote
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 05-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3
lalapoo HB User
Re: Thryoid Test - Dont understand results! Help please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrslazaro View Post
Both of your results are within range. You are normal!
But what if I got high T3, they dont know that without taking any tests.
T4 and TSH can be "normal", and T3 can be too low or too high, right?

I dont understand .. I cant gain weight whatever I eat, and then we're talking maybe 10,000 calories a day! And I'm swetting like a monster as far as the temp (weather) goes above 70 fahrenheit. Lost all my hair as well.

No doctor is able to tell me what's going on ...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,487
sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Thryoid Test - Dont understand results! Help please?

"Normal" thyroid labs mean the results fall within the normal range.

There is no way one can assume that the results are normal for the individual.

Thyroid status is always determined by looking at the actual FreeT4 and FreeT3 thyroid hormone levels and not pituitary hormone TSH.

That said, your FreeT4 level is just under mid-range. Most healthy people have FreeT4 and FreeT3 levels above mid-range, if not higher.

So, in just looking at your FreeT4 level, you could be hyPOthyroid.

Your TSH would be at the bottom of the range if not suppressed if you were hyPERthyroid.

The only other test you need right now is the FreeT3 test (and, if those test results are over a month old, you should get another FreeT4 and TSH test done as well).

For this time only, it would be best to get your bloodwork done first thing in the morning.

Since most cases of thyroid disease are autoimmune in nature, antibody tests would help with a diagnosis:

TPOab (thyroid peroxidase antibody)
TGab (thyroglobulin antibody)
TSI (thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin)
TBII (thyrotropin binding inhibiting immunoglobulin)
__________________
Graves' 2007...remission 2009....hypo 2010

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3
lalapoo HB User
Re: Thryoid Test - Dont understand results! Help please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy64 View Post
"Normal" thyroid labs mean the results fall within the normal range.

There is no way one can assume that the results are normal for the individual.

Thyroid status is always determined by looking at the actual FreeT4 and FreeT3 thyroid hormone levels and not pituitary hormone TSH.

That said, your FreeT4 level is just under mid-range. Most healthy people have FreeT4 and FreeT3 levels above mid-range, if not higher.

So, in just looking at your FreeT4 level, you could be hyPOthyroid.

Your TSH would be at the bottom of the range if not suppressed if you were hyPERthyroid.

The only other test you need right now is the FreeT3 test (and, if those test results are over a month old, you should get another FreeT4 and TSH test done as well).

For this time only, it would be best to get your bloodwork done first thing in the morning.

Since most cases of thyroid disease are autoimmune in nature, antibody tests would help with a diagnosis:

TPOab (thyroid peroxidase antibody)
TGab (thyroglobulin antibody)
TSI (thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin)
TBII (thyrotropin binding inhibiting immunoglobulin)
Thank you so much!
I will get blood tests done next week again then, including both FREE & TOTAL T3 & T4.

Have a nice day!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,487
sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Thryoid Test - Dont understand results! Help please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalapoo View Post
Thank you so much!
I will get blood tests done next week again then, including both FREE & TOTAL T3 & T4.

Have a nice day!
Happy to help!

You can save yourself some money (either personally or via your insurance) and not bother with the Total T3 nor Total T4.

Neither test provides accurate information about thyroid status.

All you need are the FreeT4 and FreeT3 tests (your doctor will also want to run the TSH but it is not a reliable indicator of thyroid function.)

Hope you have a nice day as well!
__________________
Graves' 2007...remission 2009....hypo 2010

 
Reply With Quote
Reply Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
New here....finally got a thryoid panel done rainbow65 Thyroid Disorders 0 03-16-2009 06:29 PM
thryoid nodules angelz328 Thyroid Disorders 3 03-11-2009 03:05 PM
Did my estrogen dominance mess my thryoid meds and function up back in Sept???? one2wonder Thyroid Disorders 5 01-11-2009 02:10 PM
Request Help On Adrenal Fatigue/thryoid - Mg/midwest/others Liz1900 Thyroid Disorders 1 09-05-2008 09:50 AM
Son on thryoid meds for depression kindspirit Thyroid Disorders 5 04-23-2008 10:19 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:34 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!