It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User
Eliminating stress from our lives

One thing I have noticed with my thyroid levels off is that I cannot handle stress very well. For the past 20 months I have been working for a large company in the finance dept. I was brought in to replace someone who had died unexpectedly right after the dept started to work in a new system, so it was a bit stressful at first. Then a few months later we began processing international invoices too so that was a bit stressful as well. Personnel changes, company mergers, and the death of my dear friend who was also employed there did not help. (he was employed there but had been out on medical leave fighting cancer since before I started). A couple months ago my dept (of 2) was merged with another dept but my co-worker was asked to stay behind to work on a new project. Another friend of mine went out on maternity leave about a week later so this new dept now consisted of me, another employee who has been there several years and 3 contractors (1 to replace my friend who passed away so she had been there a couple months but still learning and 2 brand new contactors....1 to replace my friend on maternity leave and 1 to replace my coworker who stayed in the old dept even though his position transferred. I was a bit disturbed that they would not hire permanent replacements for some of these positions as we keep having issues with the contractors finding new permanent positions elsewhere and leaving. But with our recent merger nobody is very certain which finance jobs will be merged with the other company.

So I WAS looking forward to doing something a bit new in this new position but I am finding myself a bit overwhelmed as I am pretty much expected to handle the responsibilities of the new position, as well as the responsibilites of my old position, as well as some of the responsibilities of my former co-worker's position. In addition to that I am not completely comfortable doing my new job and I am trying to help the contractors learn what they are doing too. So while month end close is normally a bit stressful anyway, these past 2 months have just been insane. And I think I am the point where I just can't do this anymore. And the contractor that was hired to replace my old co-worker decided to leave. We've hired 2 more replacements that have also left and as of Friday my boss said we are just going to have to try to do it with our current staff as my friend will be back from maternity leave on Jun 15 and its not worth trying to get anybody else in.I

I've been telling myself that when my thyroid stabilizes I will look for a new job as I don't feel healthy enough to start a new job right now. Where I work now they know I have been struggling with thyroid issues and on really bad days I can work from home. However, I think the constant stress I have been under is wreaking havoc with my thyroid and that I won't be able to get better while I am this stressed out. I've been layed off twice in the past 8 years so I know about financal stress too and can't just up and quit. So I'm in a bit of a conundrum.

Anybody been in a similar situation or have any words of advice? I know there are daily life stressors that you just can't avoid, especially living in a house with 2 teenage girls. But to be honest, both my parents passed away within the same year before I started this new job and I was able to handle that stress. And this really had been a great company to work for but this dept I am in right now just sucks and I just can't keep doing this. I'm missing out on so many family things this weekend as I just don't feel up to doing them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
Re: Eliminating stress from our lives

I'm sorry you're struggling like this. (hugs) thyroid can be frustrating huh?

Not sure whether this is of any help but when my levels are off, I have more trouble handling stress then I used too. it makes sense, really, if the engine ain't working properly a car wont drive smoothly either. Because of having less energy, things can more easy be overwhelming. I know realizing that ain't helping in order to solve it of course.

As far as managing stress goes, kinda depends on what works for the person. Maybe some stress reliefs techniques such as yoga can help? Try to be kind to yourself, most of the time we're not by far as harsh on others as we are on yourself. When you're doing your best, it's good enough. What would you say to a friend in the same situation? say that too yourself.

Sometimes stress can be caused by the conflict between what we feel we should do and what we can do. It's about the distinction between what we feel we should and what we actually have to do and can do.

Please keep in mind things will get better. i know it's hard to miss out on family events you want to attend yet don't feel up to attending. In my story, I had to miss out on some weddings, first communions, in short events a person just cannot catch up on, yet I could not, I really was not physically able to attend. Not only did I feel bad (if not I would have been able to attend), I noticed I felt several unnecessary emotions too, the latter one only made things worse. Point being, I know it's hard, but try not to stress over it. Again you're doing the best you can!

Hang in there and hugs!

Reply Reply