It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
(female)

ABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB User
Levothyroxine and HRT

Hello Everybody -

Update of my journey - been about a month now since increase to 62.5mcg Levothyroxine. (Due for labs midde of June). At some point in the last 2 or 3 weeks I realized the brain fog had lifted! I am thrilled beyond words. I was actually able to focus, concentrate and get something accomplished at work. Still battling the insomnia, fatigue and achy muscles though. Now, this week I felt that hypo brain fog coming back. .Got zero done at work the last couple of days.

And I've made what I think may have been a bad decision. I have been on compounded Bio-Identical HRT for 10-12 years. Ran out, no refills, have new doctor (Rx was from old PCP)... Needless to say, I decided to just quit and see what happens. Dumb, I know. I can't explain why I make these kind of decisions. LOL

Anyway, my question is ;

Could the return of the brain fog and that hypoT feeling simply be the typical rise and fall after a LevoT dose adjustment? Or could the sudden withdrawal of estrogen & progesterone have messed with my thyroid levels so quickly? (Last intake of HRT was May 8)

I don't really have anything against continuing the HRT. (Hmm... so why did I quit?) I could call new doc Monday for Rx. She has been so Thyroid and Iron focused since I started seeing her, we haven't gotten around to testing my hormones and addressing any adjustments that might be needed with the HRT.

I appreciate and welcome your thoughts, opinions, speculations ... scoldings.

Thanks,

Pam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2012, 05:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Levothyroxine and HRT

Congrats on saying goodbye to brain fog!!! Sorry it and the hypoT feeling have returned.

Your particular HRT presents an interesting scenario. Estrogen binds with thyroid hormone and can actually lower thyroid hormone levels. Progesterone does the opposite.

It's really hard to know just what's going on.....

I used to be on HBC and when I stopped, my FT3 level increased by the time of my next labs (one month after going off HBC) and, within 2 months, my FT4 followed. My T4 & T3 doses are now lower.

The FT4 level stabilizes within 3 wks. after a dose adjustment - it takes 5 wks. for the FT3 level and 6 wks. for the body to realize it all.

I agree that you should call your doctor on Monday....decide whether or not you'll go back on HRT, get thyroid labs and whatever labs might be related to HRT.....and try to nip this in the bud.

By the way - is all fine and dandy in "iron-land"? Iron deficiency can impair conversion.

Gotta love the complexities of thyroid disease management.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
(female)

ABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy64 View Post
Gotta love the complexities of thyroid disease management.
Hello Sammy -

Tell me about it! When I had this "lapse in judgement" with the HRT, I didn't think about the effect on thyroid hormone levels. Well DUH! Guess I'm still a TD newbie.

It is hard to tell what's in my HRT cream. It appears to be much higher amount of Progesterone than Bi-Estrogen, with a tiny bit of Testosterone. Guess I better make that call...

As far as Iron goes - not all is "fine and dandy". I've had VERY low ferritin for years. Last test: Ferritin = 18 ... (Range: 8-252) (The 18 was my highest ever - started at 7). Even with 3 years supplementing daily, never could get it any higher than 18. Former PCP just wrote it off to menses related.

After endless attempts to figure out WHY, my new doctor stopped testing Ferritin and started looking at actual Iron levels. (Also had me discontinue Iron supplements). She continues to put "Iron Defecient Anemia" dx code on every lab slip and in my file.

Here are Iron lab test results:

Iron = 99 ....................... (50-170)
TIBC= 404 ..................... (250-450)
Iron Saturation= 25% ..... (20-55%)

She explained all this, but I didn't absorb it. HaHa. Much like the iron supplement I suppose.

As always, thanks for your valued input. I appreciate it more than you know!

Hugs,

Pam

Old 06-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

Hi Pam;

in order to know ironstatus it's important to have all 4 done. (if anything at least iron and ferritine) Can you ask your doctor to have ferritine tested next time. Iron can be high/normal yet ferritine too low and causing problems regardless.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
(female)

Hey Lisa -

I can ask her on next visit about testing Ferritin again. I don't remember her explanation on why she wasn't going to test it anymore. I think she is studying me, like a guinea pig. (LOL) I guess I don't understand the importance of Ferritin level if the other Iron tests are okay?

Hopefully my thyroid treatment is working and we can move on to discussing other things. Certainly the Anemia issue and now the HRT.

How are you doing these days? Still on B&R treatment? I do hope you can get settled soon, you have had such a rough time with it all. ((hugs))

Thanks for the input. Always good to hear from you.

Pam

Old 06-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

Hi Pam,

not that I know all that much about the whole iron issue, but I do know ferritine is important. Sometimes doctors think that if one is good, the other probably will be too (the others giving sufficient information) yet that's not true. One can have perfect iron with low ferritine and the other way around. to my knowledge ferritine is the storage iron so if one does not have enough of that (mine is too low too) that can cause problems and anemia.
I also read that it can add to conflicting symptoms (hyperlike while hypo)

Yes I'm still on B&R (I'd guard it with my life ) still not there but well working on trying to find that optimal dosage. thanks and hugs back!

hang in there!

Reply Reply