It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
(male)

cadogan32 HB User
Question about thyroid meds

I have hypothyroidism with hashimoto's with a tsh of 6.I had been taking 25 mcgs of cynomel which lowered my tsh too 0.42 which my guess would be considered hyper.I didnt feel any worse but didnt feel any better.I know that 25 mcg of cynomel equals to about 100 mcg of levothroxine too.

So does anyone think that 75mcg of levothroxine would be about the right dose for someone with a tsh around 6?That would put me at about 1 or 2 for my tsh right? thanks

Old 06-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: Question about thyroid meds

Quite possibly, no way of knowing before giving it a try. When on T3 one is expected to have a low TSH, low TSH is not a sign of hyperT unless there are hyperT symptoms and high free thyroid levels too.

The Following User Says Thank You to FinnMaid For This Useful Post:
cadogan32 (06-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
(male)

drivel HB User

It is very odd that your doctor is prescribing cynomel only, typically a doctor would start you on levothroxine. No idea why he would do this. No, a TSH of 0.42 does not make you hyper.

The Following User Says Thank You to drivel For This Useful Post:
cadogan32 (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
(male)

cadogan32 HB User

I had bought the cynomel from mexico and was dosing it myself.At the time i started it my tsh was about 6.I built up too the 25 mcg and over a few month's got a blood test again and my tsh was 0.42 along with my ft3 being 3.1 (2.0-4.4)

I forgot to post on my first message but i had been on 25mcg of levo for awhile without feeling any different.I had to go through a free health clinic to get it,so its been tough at the moment to get some more.Does anyone know how much 25mcg's of levrothroxine will lower your tsh?Do doctors still base it on your weight for how much to start on?

Old 06-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadogan32 View Post
Does anyone know how much 25mcg's of levrothroxine will lower your tsh?Do doctors still base it on your weight for how much to start on?
You're not taking meds to lower your TSH, you take thyroid supplements to restore Your normal thyroid levels - so you should look at your actual thyroid levels, FT4 and FT3, that are the most important. Again, no way of knowing for sure how 25 mcgs affects your TSH but it's such a low dose that in many cases it does practically nothing to those freeTs - so there may be no symptom relief.

25 and 50 mcgs are typical starting doses, no matter what the weight. I don't think weight is an issue later either, although my endo thought I should've done better with 175 mcgs of T4 with my weight (about 62 kg) when he prescribed me T3 too.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 06-05-2012 at 12:40 AM.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
(male)

cadogan32 HB User

I'll definitely have to focus on that instead of the tsh.I know doctors base everything on what level your tsh is at.I'll try to see next time i see them if they can do those tests and possibly get me on a higher dose.I appreciate the help!

Reply Reply

Tags
tsh