It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
(male)

scottyg354 HB User
Splitting Armour Dose

Hi guys,

I have posted here before and am fairly new to the whole Armour game. I am currently on 180mg for about 2 months. I have been doing decent on it until maybe the past week or so. I have been experiencing some jitteriness in the morning and early afternoon that gradually fades into the late afternoon and evening. Should I split my dose into 2 90 mg doses and see if that help. I have heard that some people can't tolerate all the T3 at once and need to split there doses. Also, resting pulse is fine at 72-74, no diarrhea, body temp is great at 98.6 most of the day. Also last labs were good. Should I try splitting?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Splitting Armour Dose

Some people might try split dosing in your situation. Please realize that, with split dosing, you'd still need to respect the absorption issues of thyroid meds and be sure to take that PM dose at least two hours after/one hour before food/drink other than water.

Since it seems like you haven't had labs in two months, I wouldn't make any changes without getting new ones done.

Symptoms can be confusing - labs don't lie.

I'd rather confirm what's going on with my body rather than take a chance and deal with symptoms that can take a few weeks to dissipate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
(male)

scottyg354 HB User

I had labs two weeks ago and they were good. FT3 was a little elevated because I took my meds about 2 hours prior to getting my bloodwork. Doc said judging by that and my total I was looking good. They are as follows:

Total T4: 5.7 (4.5-12.1)
Total T3: 181 (70-190)
Free T3: 6 (2.18 -3.98) due to taking my meds 2 hours prior
TSH: 0.73 (0.358-3.74)
Anti Thyroglobulin 67 (0-38) marked high.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
(male)

Skiyrizer HB UserSkiyrizer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyg354 View Post
Hi guys,

I have posted here before and am fairly new to the whole Armour game. I am currently on 180mg for about 2 months. I have been doing decent on it until maybe the past week or so. I have been experiencing some jitteriness in the morning and early afternoon that gradually fades into the late afternoon and evening. Should I split my dose into 2 90 mg doses and see if that help. I have heard that some people can't tolerate all the T3 at once and need to split there doses. Also, resting pulse is fine at 72-74, no diarrhea, body temp is great at 98.6 most of the day. Also last labs were good. Should I try splitting?
I am extremely sensitive to thyroid meds and Armour is the only one I can tolerate because you can split it up quite easily.

I split my 0.5 grains 7 times throughout the day for a total of 2 grains and my TSH is suppressed to 0.1 uIU/ml and falling so splitting definitely does not hurt you. My T3 and T4 free's are all well within range as well. Gotta love Armour!

So yeah go ahead and split as many times as necessary.

BTW, I take mine with food/drink. Does not matter for me at least...

Last edited by Skiyrizer; 06-05-2012 at 08:04 AM.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:59 AM   #5
(male)

scottyg354 HB User

The only other thing I can think of is this might be Wellbutrin withdrawal. I stopped without tapering about 4 weeks ago. This crap started maybe a week and a half ago. Like I said
My body temp is normal(98.2 in the morning and 98.7 when I hit the sack, all week), resting pulse isn't bad. I'm only getting like an anxious feeling, and slightly emotional. I've been on this dose of armour for 2 months, I've only been off the Wellbutrin a little while.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
(male)

Skiyrizer HB UserSkiyrizer HB User

I'd be in the ER if I took 180mg at once. I would split that dose 90 in the am and 90 in the afternoon. The T3 peaks in 2-4 hours. A lot of people split the Armour dose into 2 because of the potent active T3... I am in the minority splitting 7 times... You should get a blood test and see what your T3 levels are after ingesting all 180mg an hour or two after. My free T3 range is in the 99% range after ingesting just a 1/2 grain! lol

Old 06-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
(male)

scottyg354 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiyrizer View Post
I'd be in the ER if I took 180mg at once. I would split that dose 90 in the am and 90 in the afternoon. The T3 peaks in 2-4 hours. A lot of people split the Armour dose into 2 because of the potent active T3... I am in the minority splitting 7 times... You should get a blood test and see what your T3 levels are after ingesting all 180mg an hour or two after. My free T3 range is in the 99% range after ingesting just a 1/2 grain! lol
My FT3 was 6.1 in a range of (1-3.8) when i took my meds 2.5 hours prior to bloodwork, so ya. My total T3 was at the top of its range.

Last edited by scottyg354; 06-06-2012 at 08:27 AM.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
(male)

drivel HB User

Yes, splitting the dosage likely does makes sense. But, this is frankly something you should discuss with your doctor on how to split it and when to take it. I don't think splitting the dosage in half with the other half in the afternoon is the right way to do it.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:20 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivel View Post
I don't think splitting the dosage in half with the other half in the afternoon is the right way to do it.
I'm sure it's "right" when it suits the individual doing it and for most "splitters" it's exactly the right thing to do if the second dose isn't taken very late.

Reply Reply