It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
(female)

imperfection77 HB Userimperfection77 HB User
red blotchy palms

I put this in the skin problems but someone sent me a message and told me it could be my thyroid. I have never had my thyroid checked but I have red blotchy palms. Apparently I've had this for the past 10 years at least (going by pictures over the years). Doc is stumped as to what it is. He has checked my liver. Everything seems ok. I also have heart palpitations which could be unrelated. We have done every test for my heart as well (stress test i hated). He said my heart palps could be from caffeine so I've cut back. Hasn't helped.

I hate my palms. When I'm trying to check out from a store sometimes a cashier will comment on it. I have no weight loss but do feel a little fatigue. Other than that I feel fine. What could be wrong?

Do any of you who have thyroid problems have red blotchy palms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User
Re: red blotchy palms

I think you should get your tsh,FT4 and a FT3 done (some docs will only do tsh and if that's not abnormal, which most people's aren't all the time) you might have a hard time getting them to run the frees. I did have red palms a couple of months ago when I went a little hyper. I remember sitting in the doc's office (my GP) and saying to the nurse.."what's up with my red palms?" Do you feel warmer than usual or colder? Now mine look normal. maybe it was the light...LOL! I think with the heart palps, that could be thyroid related. Do you have other symptoms?

The Following User Says Thank You to Bran'sNana For This Useful Post:
imperfection77 (06-07-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran'sNana View Post
I think you should get your tsh,FT4 and a FT3 done (some docs will only do tsh and if that's not abnormal, which most people's aren't all the time) you might have a hard time getting them to run the frees. I did have red palms a couple of months ago when I went a little hyper. I remember sitting in the doc's office (my GP) and saying to the nurse.."what's up with my red palms?" Do you feel warmer than usual or colder? Now mine look normal. maybe it was the light...LOL! I think with the heart palps, that could be thyroid related. Do you have other symptoms?
Some days my palms look redder than others. Hmmmmm...well I have had a lot of shedding of hair but I just assumed that happens when you get in your 30's. I'm 34 now but been having lots of shedding of hair for a few years now. My hair used to be so thick. It would be so heavy and hard to pull up in a pony tail. Now it's very light. I wouldn't say i'm going bald but it is very thin. My libido is pretty much gone but I've just pretty much dealt with. Again I just figured that's what happens as you get older. Oh and after I eat my heart races away. As for my palpitations I don't have to be doing anything to have palps. I can just be sitting there watching t.v. or something and then out of no where it's like big flutters in chest. I've had it do it when I'm trying to go to sleep. Then theres the fatigue. I gotta get naps.

How much does a tsh , ft4 and ft3 usually cost? Reason why I ask is I'm not working now since our plant got closed down. So now I don't have insurance and my husband is the only one working and he doesn't have insurance where he works.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

I think there are labs that you can get online,I don't know if you can post names. I guess they give you a sheet after you pay for them, that you could bring to an affiliated lab somewhere. I don't know how it works and I would think it may be around 100 dollars? Someone else may know.
As far as getting older....34? You are a young woman! Your symptoms ALL sound like "classic" hypothyroid symptoms. That can strike at any age.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
(female)

100 dollars..hmmm I think I can pull that off. I mean that's cheaper than getting all that stuff done to check my heart a few months back. I may just ask my doc if he will do all 3. I'll demand it. If he doesn't... I'll try to find someone else. LOL I know I'm still young but my family keeps saying "that's what happens as you get older" when I tell them how I feel or whats going on with me.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yeah people who don't understand how your thyroid can mess you up don't get it anyway. It's not getting older,some people think that's it but not everyone has these symptoms unless their thyroid is screwed up.You probably have a low functioning one. (very common in women) Do you have anyone in your family with auto immune disease? (diabetes type 1,rheumatoid athritis,Lupus,MS,Celiac?) Sometimes the auto immunity is passed down but a different disease than others. Like your mom could have RA and you get thyroid disease.(either Graves or Hashi's). I have antibodies for both Graves and Hashi's.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
(female)

I don't think anyone has any auto immune disease...as far as I know anyway. I was looking at old family photo albums last night and saw that my mom had red inflammed palms. Then again she was going through menopause and I know that will also cause red blotchy palms. Think I got a long ways to go for that lol.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran'sNana View Post
Yeah people who don't understand how your thyroid can mess you up don't get it anyway. It's not getting older,some people think that's it but not everyone has these symptoms unless their thyroid is screwed up.You probably have a low functioning one. (very common in women) Do you have anyone in your family with auto immune disease? (diabetes type 1,rheumatoid athritis,Lupus,MS,Celiac?) Sometimes the auto immunity is passed down but a different disease than others. Like your mom could have RA and you get thyroid disease.(either Graves or Hashi's). I have antibodies for both Graves and Hashi's.
Just wanted to let you know I went to the doctor and he blew me off when I told him to test my thyroid. He said "I'm so tired of patients blaming everything on their thyroid. Don't you think this might be psychological?" Well I showed him my palms and now a new symptom "terry's nails". Which is also a sign of liver disease he said and heart failure. He said it has no association with thyroid and we have already checked my heart and liver.

Guess I'm off to find me another doctor. I know I'm not going crazy. He really made me mad.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm sorry your doc won't test your thyroid. One thing about my primary, he's a D.O. and he'll test just about anything I've asked for. It was actually he who thought thyroid when I first went in hyper about 6 years ago. I didn't know what the heck a thyroid was then.. I mean what does your doc have to pay for your thyroid test himself? Please! I would get another opinion from someone more open minded maybe. Just tell them to humor you and just run them. Thyroid disease is so common now, it's no wonder everyone goes in complaining. i think they figure women just want to lose weight but it's SO much more than that!

Old 06-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

I'm so sorry your doctor blew you off like that. Gee he probably does not realize that you're the client and paying for his service. Besides he's not the one paying for the test and 2) he'd better test 10 patients for nothing, instead of 1 overlooked. what kind of attitude is that anyway. if he's tired of patients, he should retire. if he checked things, would be different, but now... tssss.

A good doctor in my opinion would 1) at least check it and 2) if he does not think it's that, he better comes up and examines another alternative.

hang in there and hope you find another doctor soon!

Old 06-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa789 View Post
I'm so sorry your doctor blew you off like that. Gee he probably does not realize that you're the client and paying for his service. Besides he's not the one paying for the test and 2) he'd better test 10 patients for nothing, instead of 1 overlooked. what kind of attitude is that anyway. if he's tired of patients, he should retire. if he checked things, would be different, but now... tssss.

A good doctor in my opinion would 1) at least check it and 2) if he does not think it's that, he better comes up and examines another alternative.

hang in there and hope you find another doctor soon!
Thanks Lisa. I know right? If I'm the one paying for it why don't he just do it? Geeez!

Still on the search for a new doc. So far noone is accepting new patients.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #12
(female)

UPDATE: Well I thought I would return to let you all know I'm Hypothyroid. I always hate seeing threads where the person never comes back and says what was wrong with them...so here I am. I'm sure I'll be on the message board more often in the future.

I just picked up my prescription of Levothyroxine 25mcg. I plan on starting these in the morning.

Reading the side effects on this prescription scares me half to death! Palpitations maybe? More hair loss? GAH!!!!!! I'm already having palps and hair loss!

I just can't win can I?

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: imperfection77
lisa789 (07-14-2012), sammy64 (07-14-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to imperfection77 For This Useful Post:
lisa789 (07-14-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

please note that side-effects mentioned on the prescription paper are more a legal/liability thing. As you mention yourself indeed you already have symptoms and that's the key of 'side-effects' of thyroid medication. They aren't necessary side-effect as such but hypo or hypersymptoms.

Hang in there

The Following User Says Thank You to lisa789 For This Useful Post:
imperfection77 (07-14-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #14
(female)

Definitely can't wait to feel better. I'm sure that will take some time.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfection77 View Post
Definitely can't wait to feel better. I'm sure that will take some time.
Unfortunately, it does take some time to feel better but, at least you're on your way.

And, while I'm sorry to hear of yet another person dealing with hypothyroidism, I'm sure you're relieved to have a possible cause for your issues.

As Lisa mentioned, the side effects are not side effects per se. Instead, they are the results of moving thyroid hormone levels.

Please know that the early months of the meds titration process often mean an improvement of some symptoms, a worsening of others and/or the development of new ones.

Once your FreeT4/T3 levels are above mid-range, things usually start to even out a bit. You'll still be dealing with symptoms but, they won't be as intense or maybe not as frequent.

Full symptom elimination doesn't happen until after we're stable at our optimal levels. For some people, this happens as soon as 6 months but, closer to a year (or slightly longer) is more common.

The best you can do is to get labs every 6 wks. and push the doctor for dose increases until your FreeT4/T3 levels are around 60-80% of range. These are the types of levels most of us find comfortable.

It will be to your benefit to maintain hard copies of your labs and also to maintain a journal.

I can tell you that keeping a journal was key towards identifying my optimal levels.

Optimal levels = no thyroid symptoms.

I soon realized that noting "feeling good" or "not feeling good" on my lab reports wasn't enough.

I maintained separate Word documents that covered the period of time in between labs. This way, each document represented what was going on with me in relation to whatever dose(s) I was taking at the time.

I would title each document with a date range that reflected the date of the most recent labs and the date of my upcoming labs.

My daily entries weren't particularly long and they were based upon what symptoms I might have been dealing with at the particular time.

Even though I had easily 30 symptoms during the early months of the meds titration process, many of those dissipated once my FreeT4/T3 levels were above mid-range.

This confirmed for me that I was like many people in the fact that I needed both my FreeT4/T3 levels above mid-range to feel well.

I was then dealing with a cluster of fluctuating symptoms. Watching the patterns that developed after a dose increase helped me to realize that my levels weren't necessarily optimal just yet.

This period of time often showed an improvement of symptoms after a dose increase....and then a worsening of some before the time of my next labs. This is a typical experience that tells us our dose(s) and levels still aren't optimal.

Since each of us has his/her own typical cluster of symptoms, it makes sense to note only what applies to the individual.

Therefore, my journal consisted of daily notes about the quality of my sleep, digestion, energy level, strength, stamina and mental function.

I would also note anything that might have been going on that particular day that could have affected how I felt.

An example of this would be noting the chills I had at night and also noting I attended my son's hockey game and/or it was below-freezing outside. I certainly don't want to blame my thyroid for everything

You can only imagine my excitement when my journal entries only consisted of improvements. This was a sign that the labs I had 6 wks. after starting the particular doses could very well be my optimal.

Sure enough, my FT4 level came back around 90% of range (my optimal FT4 is higher than the 60-80% of range most people need to be symptom-free) and my FT3 level at 75% of range (typical for most people)

Moving forward from there, I continued to make occasional notes only if something questionable was going on. I found that there could be many days when I didn't make entries.

There were times when I found the need to make more entries because my digestion was slowing down or my sleep quality had deteriorated. Sure enough, those upcoming labs showed my FT4/FT3 levels to be lower in the range than the levels I had when I was symptom-free.

I had two times during the meds titration process when my levels optimized and I was symptom-free for about 3 months.

By sharing my journal with my doctor as it related to my labs and the times I felt best, she accepted my determination about my optimal levels.

Since my thyroid has been somewhat erratic, my doctor has me get labs every 6 wks. She has adjusted my doses (I take T3 & T4) to maintain my optimal levels.

This has kept me symptom-free and I feel awesome.

I share this with you in the hopes that it might help you to feel the same.

Please feel free to share your labs here as you move forward so we can help you interpret them and provide suggestions for a meaningful conversation with your doctor.

We're all in this together.

Last edited by sammy64; 07-14-2012 at 07:55 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
imperfection77 (07-16-2012)
Reply Reply