It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
(female)

tam090 HB Usertam090 HB User
Muscle and Joint Pain with Thyroid Disease

Article that I found on the web today. Most Recent Test TSH 3.23, T4 Free .09, T3 Total 129. Autoimmune ANA 1:1280, went in today and got TPO test waiting for results. I am unsure if anyone else has had similar experience. My calves feel like ice picks are being hammered into them with every step I take. Waiting to see a Rheumy appointment is not until Sept.

I seriously think my Thyroid is causing my problems.

Getting some mild releive with Neurtron & LDN.

Muscle and Joint Pain With Thyroid Disease
Information on a Common Symptom

by Mary Shomon

While not generally well-known or understood, hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism can cause a variety of muscle or joint-related symptoms.

Both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism are known to cause what are called myopathies -- the medical term for diseases that affect skeletal muscle. Skeletal muscles are the muscles connected to your bones. An example of a skeletal muscle is your biceps in the upper arm, or the quadriceps in the thigh. Myopathies most often are seen in what are known as the proximal muscles. These are the muscles, such as in the thigh and shoulder area, that are closest to the center of the body. In myopathies caused by inflammation or metabolic conditions, such as autoimmune thyroid disease, white blood cells may attack parts of the muscle and the surrounding blood vessels, or abnormal levels of certain biochemical substances end up accumulating in your muscles, leading to weakness or pain.

Different thyroid conditions can also be associated with particular types of muscle and joint problems.

Muscle and Joint Pain With Hypothyroidism

Hypothyroidism can create a variety of muscle and joint-related symptoms. Most commonly, these symptoms are due to swelling of the muscles, or swelling that is pressing on nerves. Various problems seen include:

General muscular weakness and pain, including cramps, and stiffness
General joint pain, achiness, stiffness, known as "arthropathy"
Tendonitis in the arms and legs
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome-- which involves pain, tingling, weakness, achiness or numbness in the wrist, fingers or forearm. It is due to swelling of membranes that compress a nerve in the forearm.
Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome-- similar to carpal tunnel, with pain, tingling, burning and other discomfort in the arch of your foot, the bottom of the foot, possibly extending into the toes.
Graves' Disease/Hyperthyroidism

In hyperthyroidism or Graves' disease, you may experience muscle weakness and fatigue. Pain in muscles is not as common in hyperthyroidism.

Some people with hyperthyroidism actually lose muscle tone and strength, a process that can be referred to as "muscle wasting." Some common complaints include:
difficulty climbing stairs
difficulty holding or gripping objects with hands
difficult reaching arms above the head
In some cases, the muscles affected can include those that help you swallow, so you may have some hoarseness or difficulty swallowing.

When the Pain Doesn't Go Away

Typically, the worst of these symptoms and conditions do usually resolve with proper treatment of the thyroid condition. When muscle and joint pain does not go away with proper thyroid treatment, however, it's time to ask several questions.

First, if you are hypothyroid, are you getting sufficient and proper treatment? Insufficient thyroid hormone replacement, or a need for the additional hormone T3, may be required to resolve muscle and joint pain.

Second, if you are receiving optimal thyroid treatment, and still suffering joint and muscle problems, should you get a referral to a rheumatologist, for further evaluation and possible treatment? A trained rheumatologist can provide a more thorough evaluation for arthritis and fibromyalgia. Rheumatologists are experts in joint and muscle problems, and treat arthritis, some autoimmune conditions, various musculoskeletal pain disorders, fibromyalgia and tendonitis. To find a rheumatologist in your area, check the American College of Rheumatology's Doctor Directory.

Third, have you been evaluated for fibromyalgia? Interestingly, on the subject of fibromyalgia, some practitioners, such as Dr. John Lowe, actually believe that fibromyalgia is actually a manifestation of hypothyroidism. Fibromyalgia is a syndrome that features specific tender points in the body, with widespread weakness and fatigue.

Fourth, should you look into alternative therapies? Some patients with chronic joint and muscle pain related to their thyroid conditions have had success with therapies such as massage, acupuncture, and myofascial therapy. In terms of supplements, researchers at the National Institutes Of Health's National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases have found that glucosamine and chondroitin "may have some efficacy against the symptoms of [osteoarthritis]."

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: tam090
lisa789 (06-12-2012), sjb (06-12-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to tam090 For This Useful Post:
sjb (06-12-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
Re: Muscle and Joint Pain with Thyroid Disease

It's obvious you're hypoT and need treatment or in case you're already on meds are undermedicated and need an increase.
What did your doctor say as far as the results go?

I have no knowledge on rheumy but yes muscle and jointpain are very common symptoms in hypoT.

hang in there

Old 06-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
(female)

Judyone HB User
Re: Muscle and Joint Pain with Thyroid Disease

I had muscle and joint pain after my thyroidectomy so bad that I could barely walk after sitting for a bit. I hurt all over. When I FINALLY found a doctor who would check my FT3 levels, they were found to be below range. I immediately started on 20 mg of T3 and within 3 days, I was a different person. I don't convert T4 and will not have any T3 in my body if I didn't take it every day (2 times a day!) I don't take 20 now, down to 15, but will not be without it. I make sure it's checked every time we do labs and try to keep it at the upper part of the range. My body loves it.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
(female)

zehros HB User
Wink Re: Muscle and Joint Pain with Thyroid Disease

Hello all from Scotland UK. This is my first post so bear with me
Your posts and replies to other associated condition re Thyroid Problems seem all too familiar with me. I was initially diagnosed with T3 Toxicosis 18mnths ago. It was ultimately treated with radioactive iodine. However getting the resulting Hypothyroidism under control has been a challenge!
Yep I have also undergone Carpal Tunnel decompression to my dominant hand and what a relief that was! My main musculoskeletal issues have been cramps and spasms in fingers and toes. It looks like they have developed a life of their own. Painful and annoying.
I now have Grave's Oribopathy (Thyroid Eye Disease) however I managed to get a very early referral to my Consultant and have currently completed 12 wks high dose steroids. I begin orbital radiotherapy and immunosuppressants in 2 weeks. The Thyroid road to recovery is long despite the fact I am a medical professional here in a Scottish hospital. At the very least I have free health care and treatment which is overseen by EUGOGO (european union group Grave's Orbitopathy) Feel free enquire about my symptoms and treatment. Take care and chin up everyone. There is light at the end of the tunnel and its not always an oncoming train!

Reply Reply