It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 06:55 AM   #31
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User
Re: Looking for advice & Doctor in Rochester NY area

I would ask for ferritin (as well as serum iron) because ferritin is a better indicator of anemia. You could also ask for magnesium (tends to be low in hypoT), Vit A retinol (poor conversion from beta carotene because T4 is necessary component in liver)), selenium (necessary for conversion of T4 to T3) and a 24 hour saliva cortisol (blood levels are inaccurate). Also Vitamin D (very important, will likely be low). Your B12 should be at the top of the range, or even over the range. HbA1c (to estimate glucose levels over the last 3 months)- better than fasting glucose. Fasting insulin & fasting glucose.

The Following User Says Thank You to bee01 For This Useful Post:
MarionNY (06-25-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #32
(female)

MarionNY HB User

Thank You! I have written them all down. Good luck today! Let me know how you make out!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #33
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User

Hi! Appointment went well. Not really less expensive than Dr W's follow up appointments but the subsequent appointments will be less.
I go back in 4 weeks for bloodwork and follow up appointment with the NP at their office. He said it was fine that I wanted to continue on desiccated thyroid, though he did believe there was some inconsistency in the thyroid hormones in it. I don't think this is true and I will write to Acella, asking for 3rd party studies confirming that there is no inconsistency, then drop them off to the Dr. I didn't bother arguing the point, since I was getting what I needed anyway. I asked if he would increase the dosage, as long as there was room in the lab range and I was still feeling hypo symptoms. He agreed that it was fine to do that. He seemed open minded and willing to work with me. He is checking TSH, FT4 and FT3, exactly what I asked for.
He also seemed friendly and approachable. His name is Dr Henry Paszko, out of Churchville Chili Family Medicine, if you are interested in contacting his office for an appointment. I'm not sure what his medical approach would have been had I not already been going to Dr Wise and been on desiccated thyroid. It might be something you could ask the nurse, she was extremely helpful and I got right through to her without having to leave a message (a first for any doctor's office I've ever been with)

Old 06-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #34
(female)

MarionNY HB User

I'm so glad you had a good experience today! It sounds like the doctor is doing the right things - with your direction. I'm going to keep his name and just might look into seeing him.

I have been feeling really bad today so I called the Endo's office I have been going to. I have an appointment tomorrow with one of the NP's in the office. I have written down all the bloodwork I want done and the cortisol salvia test. I'm going to discuss with her my ongoing symptoms and see what kind of agreement we can come to on my meds. These shakes, dizziness and heart palps are driving me crazy!

Thanks for all your help! I'm really glad you have found a doctor that is willing to work with you.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #35
(female)

MarionNY HB User

Bee,

Just an update. I got into Bingham's office today. They called yesterday with a cancellation. He doses by TSH only. No to Armour or anything like it. Told me all my lab values were perfect and that my symptoms and feelings were unrelated to my thyroid. I mentioned about my low Free T3 and Free T4 and he said that was all my body needed or else it would raise my TSH and only then would he increase my levoxyl. You might want to cross him off your list of possibilites. I've been to too many doctors now and they all make me feel like I'm the crazy one. I'm not going to anymore now until I see Dr. Wise in September. Thanks for all your help!

Old 07-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #36
(female)

buffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB User

hi!! well i am 2 wks post TT and feeling ok.....sorry you didnt like Dr Bingham..i was glad to have him give me the name of a good surgeon, but after surgery, i was sent home on 100mcg of synthroid...within a couple of days, my bp skyrocketed, i had the shakes a rapid pulse (92) and mine is usually in the 60s, so i called my pcp..he had me go in, and told me he thought the synthorid dose might be too high so he sent me for blood work and told me to contact my endo..i did, and becuz my tsh was "normal" bingham said to continue my 100mcg..i said NO that i ifelt like i was gona stroke out...so i decided to cut my own dose in half..and have felt great since..bp is normal, pulse rate is normal..so i dont know if i m gona continue seeing him or just have my primary follow my levels...binghams nurse told me also, that my symptoms werent related to my dose of synthroid (um, yes i believe it was)...like i said, im glad he referred me to a good surgeon, but i wasnt impressed by his after care at all...ihave my 6 wk followup appt with him on Aug 9, not sure if im gona keep it or not...my pcp seemed to be more on the ball about my symptoms and dosing, than the endo was.........why is it sooooooo difficult to find a dr who doesnt just go by our bloodwork but listens to our symptoms as well??

Old 07-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #37
(female)

MarionNY HB User

I'm so happy to hear that you are doing ok (it's better than bad)! I hope things continue to improve for you. I understand those feelings of high pulse and BP. Mine does it off and on. It really drives me crazy. The first time it happened I went to the ER. I also have this internal tremor that I just can't seem to get rid of. Of course I've been told by 4 doctors and 2 NP that everything is unrelated to being hypothyroid and the real kicker is because they say my TSH is normal. It sounds like you have a good PCP. Sounds like he/she will be easier to work with than Bingham. I hear you on finding a good doctor. I really can't afford it but I'm going to see Dr. Wise in September. I have to start feeling better and see a doctor who isn't going to tell me its all in my head and that my symptoms aren't related to my thyroid. Hello....they sure are!!!

Old 03-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #38
(female)

meow70 HB User

Hi! I found this thread through Google. Wondering if anyone around Rochester, NY is still around. I would like to know how your doing with the Dr.'s you mentioned. I read the post about Dr. Henry Paszko and a considering switching my Primary care to him. He seems and his practice seem to have good reviews around the internet. Thanks. Linda

Reply Reply