It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
(female)

zarla HB User
feeling of lump in throat, difficulty swallowing-hypo

I have been hypo for about 12 years now, recently I have noticed a tendency to choke on food whilst eating,& sometimes I get a feeling that there is a little food stuck in my throat. I am not sure if this is acid reflux or something, but could it also be thyroid related in some way? Lots of things are!

Old 06-18-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
Re: feeling of lump in throat, difficulty swallowing-hypo

yes it can be thyroidrelated. It can be development of a goiter but does not have to be, can also happen when the dosage ain't good and thyroid is trying to correct things but cannot.
Do you have any recent labresults? if so please feel free to share.

hang in there

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2012, 05:17 AM   #3
(female)

zarla HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa789 View Post
yes it can be thyroidrelated. It can be development of a goiter but does not have to be, can also happen when the dosage ain't good and thyroid is trying to correct things but cannot.
Do you have any recent labresults? if so please feel free to share.

hang in there
Wow, thankyou,I thought it may possibly be thyroid.I have changed from T4 only treatment to t3&T4 combined treatment in the last year.it has saved my life in so many other ways &I feel good.but I am seeing my endocrinologist fairly soon,I will wait to see him unless it gets worse.

The following user gives a hug of support to zarla:
lisa789 (06-20-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
(female)

zarla HB User

My endo has signed me of, didn't get chance to talk about what could be causing my swallowing & food issues. Its hard to know if its gotten worse, or that I'm just thinking about it more, but it is certainly not going away.
I have not gone to the doctors about it yet.I know I should,& will.
It feels like it is not near my thyroid at all, not that far down, but up between the back of my throat & my nose where I get the strange sensations of food being stuck there.
It may be reflux related, as I have suffered from that for years.
I just have an odd feeling there between meals,& am so aware when eat.
I feel as though the food is not going down in a ball, but rather it sort of trickles down, it is most odd.
Ill let you know what the doctor says.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
(female)

msmanda HB User

I got this feeling too and was diagnosed with mild acid reflux. That is also when the gastroenterologist discovered my thyroid nodules and sent me straight to the endo.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
(female)

acnemom HB User

I had this sensation for years before I was diagnosed with hypo/Hashimotos. Had many tests inc thyroid. I was diagnosed with silent heartburn and took nexium for 6 yrs. When I went in for routine colonoscopy they also scoped my throat, and dr decided to stretch my esphagous. Problem went away immediately. 3 yrs later my blood tests finally showed I was hypo. I had symptoms for yrs but dr refused to treat me because lab results didnt show. I firmly believe this throat choking feeling is somehow related to the thyroid/esphogaus.

Reply Reply