It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
(female)

goldencubs HB User
How long before I actually start feeling better?

Hi Everyone,

I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism in Feb of this year and started on Levothyroxine & Liothyronine. I just raised my dose again. I am now on 7 1/2 mcgs of Lio (soon to raise Levo - on 50 mcgs at the moment - doc said to do one at a time). Everytime I raise my dosage I get more symptoms initially - terrible muscles aches, breathless, weakness, exhaustion & anxiety.

I have been at this since Feb and just never imagined it would take so long. When will I actually feel like me again? How long did it take for most of you? I feel some improvements overall but I definitely do not feel like me. I even question whether I really have a thyroid problem.

I am still unable to exercise as i get too weak & breathless. I still get some brain fog & have less stamina than most people. Will this ever end?

Just feeling sort of hopeless & down...I guess I just need to hear from those of you who have gone thru it that it does end.

Thanks.

Here are my labs:
* = flagged

2/24/12 T3 Uptake 26 22-35
2/24/12 T4 Thyroxine Total 10.8 4.5-12.0
Free T4 Index 2.8 1.4-3.8

1/12 TSH 2.81 0.40-4.50 (up from 1.4 2 years ago)
1/12 T4, Free 1.0 0.8-1.8

*3/2 Rheumatoid Factor 18 <14
*3/2 Cortisol AM 25.8 4.0-22.0
*3/2 B12 1125 200-1100 (taking B12 supps)
3/2 ANA negative
3/2 Thyroid Peroxidase negative

Old 06-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Spencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB User
Re: How long before I actually start feeling better?

Not sure of the answer to your question as I am still searching. I can very much relate to your situation and I wonder the same thing. Stay strong is all the advice I can offer. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Sorry but, without a doubt, you have a thyroid problem. Your TSH indicates that you are dealing with hypothyroidism and it's confirmed by your low-in-the-range FreeT4 level.

Healthy people would have a FreeT4 level around 1.4-1.6 (at least) based upon your lab's ranges.

Unfortunately, the meds titration process is a slow one. Most people achieve wellness within a year of starting meds but this is quite individual-specific and very much dependent on whether or not the treating doctor is thyroid-savvy.

Even though my doctor is quite thyroid-savvy and my labs were slightly "better" than yours when I started meds, it still took 15 months for my doses and levels to be optimized.

The meds titration process is like a two steps forward, one step back type of deal. We can experience some improvements but, it's not uncommon for some symptoms to worsen or new ones develop.

The early months of the meds titration process were, by far, the most difficult for me. I was dealing with easily 30 symptoms when I had maybe 15-20 when I started meds.

Once my FreeT4 and FreeT3 levels were both above mid-range, I was dealing with a cluster of fluctuating symptoms - all of which were much better than the earlier months.

However, I still dealt with the backsliding of symptoms that indicates a dose adjustment is in order....and my labs always agreed.

I was very fortunate that, twice during the meds titration process, my levels optimized and I enjoyed 3 months of freedom from symptoms.

This helped me confirm just what my optimal levels are. After sharing with my doctor my symptoms journal as it corresponded to my labs, she accepted my determination of my optimal levels and has worked to maintain them. This has kept me free from thyroid symptoms - it's awesome.

I sure hope your doctor is now running better labs than the ones you posted.

The T3 uptake and FreeT4 index are calculations and the Total T4 measures not only usable hormone but, that which is bound to proteins.

The best tests to evaluate thyroid function are the FreeT4 and FreeT3 tests.

Your FreeT4 level clearly indicated the need for levothyroxine. There's no indication in the labs you posted that you even need liothyronine.

Since you mention a recent dose increase, do you have the labs that corresponded to that decision?

Seeing your full lab history will tell us whether or not your doctor is medicating you properly. Being able to properly interpret your labs is the first step on the path to wellness.

Last edited by sammy64; 06-20-2012 at 05:29 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
LPD (06-20-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
(female)

goldencubs HB User

Thank you Sammy64...your post was extremely helpful. I feel like I can get through anything as long as I know there is an end.

So you said your labs were slightly better than mine....were you diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism? Would you mind sharing some of your symptoms with me? My main ones are breathlessness, fatigue, brain fog, body aches & shakiness. I had been getting headaches & heart palps but they have improved. Sometimes I have dizziness. As I said earlier, some of my symptoms worsen for awhile when I increase my dose.

I do not have any new labs. I just saw my doc a couple of weeks ago and they were supposed to have sent me a lab work form but I didn't receive it. My doc did an exam and listened to symptoms to determine that I am still too low on my meds. She didn't think we needed more blood work at this point (not sure how I feel about this). I will be tested in early Sept again.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

I joined the 20% of Graves' patients that go hypo after remission so, my diagnosis was different. Thanks to my Graves' blocking antibodies, my TSH was suppressed at the time of my hypo diagnosis - my FreeT4 level was 1.2 (.82-1.76) and my FreeT3 level was 3.5 (2.0-4.4).

I maintained a Word document that listed all the symptoms I dealt with. Those with an asterisk before them are the symptoms I had when I started meds. Those with an asterisk after them are the symptoms that fluctuated in both frequency and intensity once my levels were above mid-range but, not optimized. I had every symptom on the list during the early months of the meds titration process.

Here's my list:

* No energy/strength/stamina **
Off-balance
* Chills at night **
Clutziness
* Constipation **
Gas/bloating
Itchy inside ears and/or itchy skin
* Hair loss **
Tingly fingers/toes
* Achy knees and/or joint pain **
Blurry vision/reduced night vision **
Interrupted sleep/waking early **
Air hunger
* Brain fog **
Lacking motivation
Heavy period/painful cramps/more tender breasts
Dry/itchy/painful eyes…
Puffy eyelids
Over-emotional (cry-baby, sensitive)
Ear fullness
Loss of libido
Severe muscle aches – hard to walk
Mild depression
Loss of outer third of eyebrows
Palps **

As I mentioned, it's not uncommon to have a worsening of symptoms after a dose adjustment. It's quite obvious from my list that I developed more symptoms during the early months of the meds titration process - this is common as well.

The symptoms I had after *both* my FreeT4 and FreeT3 levels were well above mid-range were much less severe than they were during the earlier months and I didn't necessarily have all or any on any particular day.

I have no thyroid symptoms now - it's awesome!

I don't understand why your doctor doesn't think you need more bloodwork...especially not until September.

Symptoms can be confusing - labs don't lie.

There are some hyper and hypo symptoms that overlap. For example, I had achy knees when hyper....and also have them when hypo. Palps is another overlapping symptom.

The only way a person would know whether his/her symptom is hypo or hyper is to get labs. Yes, there's a chance you still need a dose increase (probably levo more than anything) but, without labs, your doctor is walking you blindly in the dark.

And, to be prescribing a T3 med such as liothyronine without checking your FreeT3 level is crazy.

I'm sorry to tell you this but, your doctor is making a slow process much, much slower since you are not getting labs and appropriate dose adjustments on a regular basis.

Accurate labs can be done 6 wks. after any dose adjustment. Why prolong the agony?

Last edited by sammy64; 06-21-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
(female)

goldencubs HB User

Sammy64,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and help me. I have many of your symptoms. I went up on my levothryoxine a few days ago so now I am on 75mcgs of levo & 7 1/2 mcgs of lio. My doc gave me samples of Synthroid so I took that instead of the Levo this time & I am thinking that was not a good idea.

I am having some hyper symptoms since raising my T4. I am feeling anxious, slightly sped up, jumpy and my heart is beating a little faster. I will give it a week or 2 to see if my symptoms calm down. Today I am exhausted, breathless & shaky. I just wish I would see some signs of improvement. I have also noticed overlapping symptoms of hypo & hyper.

I am going to request to have labs done soon. Hopefully I will reach a point when I am symptom free like you.

Thanks again.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldencubs,

Happy to help.

I am confused.

Hasn't your doctor run *any* labs since starting you on meds?

It's dangerous to increase doses without seeing what prior doses accomplished.

You should have had labs *before* starting your new T4 dose - 25mcg is quite an increase and might not be needed.

Please tell me you have some recent labs to share.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
(female)

goldencubs HB User

Sadly, I have no new labs. On our very first visit, she gave me a lab form. I lost it and requested a new one be mailed to me. I never received it. When I went in for my appt she said it wasn't necessary because from my symptoms/reflexes/exam she could tell I was still low.

I would prefer to get new labs though but now that I just went up on both meds again maybe I should wait.

Reply Reply