It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
(female)

Bay shore HB User
Question Totally confused

Hi, I need some help. I was had abnormal bloodwork from a routine lab done by my OB/GYN in April. I never saw the results, but she referred me to an endocrinologist who indicated I was hyperthyroid. He ordered more bloodwork and a thyroid scan. The bloodwork was done on 5/29 and after hearing nothing from the doctors office I finally got a copy of it from the lab. My TSH was 11.46 and my free T4 was 0.8. I had the scan done a week ago and finally called the doctors office today after hearing nothing and they told me based on the results of the scan I am hyperthyroid and need to take medication for that. I am thoroughly confused because I thought the high TSH indicated hypothyroid, not hyperthyroid. I don't want to take medication for one condition when I have the other. What should I do?

Old 06-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Totally confused

Welcome!

Sorry for the reason you're here but, glad you found us.

You are very correct that your labs indicate hyPOthyroidism....and not hyperthyroidism.

In fact, your labs are very clear about your hypothyroidism (some people have normal TSH and low FreeT4 levels with hypothyroidism....your high TSH confirms it without any doubts).

I think a call to the endo's office is in order. Maybe the office meant to say hypothyroidism and the plan is to start you on some Synthroid.

You also might want to consider finding a more responsive doctor to manage your care.

Last edited by sammy64; 06-21-2012 at 12:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
hyperthyroidism, hypothyroid question, thyroid blood tests, thyroid disorder, tsh