It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
(female)

HelpMePlzz HB User
Some information needed lab results posted

TSH: 1.1
T4, Free 1.0 range .8 - 1.8
T3, Free 3.2 range 2.3 - 4.2
Thyroid Panel
T3 uptake 25 range 22 - 35%
T4, Total 7.5 range 4.5 - 12.0 mcg/dL
Free T4 Index (T7) 1.9 range 1.4 - 3.8
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies 186 H range <35 IU/mL
TSI 46 range <140 % baseline

Can someone gove me any insight? I have a lot of the symptoms for hypo and Hashimoto's Disease.
Symptoms:
BAD fatigue
hair loss (and I have ALWAYS had a head full of hair and very thick.)
muscle aches in my hip and knees.
eye twitches
dry hair and skin
high blood pressure
weight gain (I ride a bike to work everyday and eat fairly good, 4 times a day)
depression

The only symptom I haven't noticed is a goiter, but it has always been annoying to wear shirts that are too close to my neck.

I forgot a couple things. My doctor has referred me to an endocrinologist due to the high TPOab. I was in the hospital overnight a month a go with heart attack like symptoms, but the ekg came back fine. I had a hysterectomy about 2 years ago, because I started what seemed to be a normal cycle in October. I didn't end my cycle until they finally decided to do the hysterectomy in March (5 months later). I have always had very, very painful and heavy menstraul cycles, sometimes keeping me in the bed for a couple days. Mood swings are horrible with me. My husband thought I was bi-polar until he saw the list of symptoms for hypo and Hashimoto's. My weight gain seems to be in my mid section. I have very defined, muscular legs from working out, but my mid section WON'T GO AWAY!!! Help shed some light on this for me. Does it sound liike hypo or Hashimoto's? With all these symptoms is it possible the doctor will try medication?

Last edited by HelpMePlzz; 06-22-2012 at 02:45 PM. Reason: adding information

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Some information needed lab results posted

Yes, it's hypothyroidism caused by Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

You may have trouble with the endo not wanting to treat you for the hypoT, because your TSH is so maddeningly "normal". Your free T4 is low-normal, though, and that produces the symptoms. Healthy people have higher FT4 on average, around 1.6 on that range. Your FT3 is about mid-range, which could be adequate for some, but not most.

Since you have low-normal FTs, positive antibodies, and plenty of symptoms, you should be given a script for a trial of thyroid hormone. Don't allow yourself to be talked out of it. If the endo refuses to treat, don't hesitate to consult as many MDs as it takes to be treated.

Edit to add: My first most worrisome symptom that eventually proved to be thyroid-related was chest heaviness that I took for a heart attack. Just so you know, that can happen.

Last edited by midwest1; 06-23-2012 at 11:43 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
HelpMePlzz (06-30-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
(female)

HelpMePlzz HB User

I hope that when I finally get in to see the endo I can convince him to do a trial run on meds. I am currently working for some friends of mine in their restaurant and it seems like if I'm not there I am at home sleeping. I am sooo tired of feeling sluggish all the time.

I was reading some information on HypoT and Hashi's and noticed there is an issue with forgetfullness. OMGoodness, that is a H U G E problem for me. For example, we pull up to a red light and he says, "go ahead and get some gas while we're at Circle K". So we turn the corner, the store is about a block away from the light, and I pull up in front of the store instead of at the gas pump. Just that quick I forgot about him wanting me to get gas. This happens all day long. It is absolutely annoying.

I am a little concerned on how this endo will interpret my results. I hope it isn't going to be a wait and see game. With my posted results, could someone give me some insight on how to approach the endo about treatment?

Something else I have been dealing with is high blood pressure. I am taking 2 50 mg Atenolol a day to try and regulate my B/P. Even with that it stays around 145/99 to 158/106, the ONLY time it comes down to normal is right after taking the Atenolol, and for only about 45 mins, then, right back up it goes.

Last edited by HelpMePlzz; 06-30-2012 at 06:10 PM. Reason: additional info

Old 06-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User

I noticed you also have detectable TSI antibodies- does anyone know if this could cause the TSH to become suppressed?

The Following User Says Thank You to bee01 For This Useful Post:
HelpMePlzz (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 05:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee01 View Post
I noticed you also have detectable TSI antibodies- does anyone know if this could cause the TSH to become suppressed?
Without a doubt, TSI antibodies suppress TSH.

Since Helpmeplzz is basically hypo and has measurable TSI vs. levels that would normally cause hyperthyroidism, the TSI is just enough to lower TSH vs. suppress it.

And, Helpmeplzz - if you are having any periods of hyper symptoms, those TSI could very well be to blame.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpMePlzz View Post

I am a little concerned on how this endo will interpret my results. I hope it isn't going to be a wait and see game. With my posted results, could someone give me some insight on how to approach the endo about treatment?

Something else I have been dealing with is high blood pressure. I am taking 2 50 mg Atenolol a day to try and regulate my B/P. Even with that it stays around 145/99 to 158/106, the ONLY time it comes down to normal is right after taking the Atenolol, and for only about 45 mins, then, right back up it goes.
Your concerns might be warranted if the endo is like many. Unfortunately, many endos don't recognize hypothyroidism if it slaps them in the face.

It won't be a wait and see game unless you allow it to be. You might have to see a few doctors before finding one who recognizes what is obvious to us.

Even though your TSH might be confusing to some doctors, the presence of TSI explains it all. Those TSI could very well be the cause of your BP issues. As I mentioned in my first post here, it would be helpful to know if you're dealing with any hyper symptoms. If yes, treatment is slightly different for hypo people with measurable TSI.

Thyroid status is always confirmed by the actual thyroid hormone levels - FreeT4 and FreeT3. Yours indicate hypothyroidism, without a doubt.

If you don't get a diagnosis from the endo, you could try emphasizing your symptoms as those you've identified as hypo based upon your research. And, you could point out the various antibodies you have that indicate autoimmune hypothyroidism and the fact that your FreeT4/T3 levels are lower than mid-range and could very well not be normal for you.

Finding a good doctor is almost like finding a life partner - you can't force things to make them right....they either work or they don't.

So, if this endo doesn't work out, it's "just" time to move onto the next one.

In the "Autoimmune Epidemic", the author writes that the average patient with an autoimmune disease sees 6 doctors before getting a proper diagnosis/treatment. Sad state of affairs but, the reality of life with thyroid disease.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
HelpMePlzz (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
(female)

HelpMePlzz HB User

The only hyper symptoms I have noticed are the same symptoms present in hypo: fatigue & hair loss. Not sure how the weight loss will factor in with hypo/Hashi's considering it's supposed to be unexplained weight 'gain'.

*********************HMMMMM************* ************
I was just washing dishes and thinking about things over the last year or so. I didn't think it had anything to do with the thyroid at the time, and still not sure if it does. I have had bad problems with trying to fall asleep at night. I would be so tired all day, but I refused to sleep just so I could sleep that night. Then, about 10:30 I would go to bed and could NOT fall asleep to save my life, and yet I was right back up at 6 to get my kids to school. I would be up until 2 or 3 am. Then, I had times where all I would require is 4 or 5 hours of sleep and be wide awake and ready to start my day. The weight loss I have been having has tappered off a bit. I was losing about 3 to 4 lbs. a week, and now it is down to 1 lb a week, but still losing at the moment.
@ sammy64
When you say the TSH isn't suppressed only lowered because of the TSI antibodies, does that mean if the TSI ab wasn't there then the TSH would be higher? What will cause both of these antibodies to show up? Does it mean I will have problems with both?

I'm not sure what the exact numbers were other than the TSH, (because I argued with my Dr. that it was right there at the 3.0 they are supposed to go by (she still uses the .5 - 5.0)), but about 1 year ago I had a thyroid panel done and my TSH was 2.9 and there were no TSI ab. I will get a copy of those results and post them.

Last edited by HelpMePlzz; 07-01-2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Just thinking......

Old 07-02-2012, 04:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpMePlzz View Post
When you say the TSH isn't suppressed only lowered because of the TSI antibodies, does that mean if the TSI ab wasn't there then the TSH would be higher? What will cause both of these antibodies to show up? Does it mean I will have problems with both?
Most people with hypothyroidism will have a much higher TSH than those who are hypo and also have TSI. To make matters even more confusing, there's yet another antibody that can skew TSH low.

There is a genetic predisposition to autoimmune diseases in general. So, if you have a family member that has Lupus, RAI, Type I Diabetes or any of the 100 or so identified autoimmune diseases, you are more likely to develop one.

In order for an autoimmune disease to develop, the genetic predisposition needs to be combined with a trigger. Known triggers include cigarette smoke, stress, low selenium levels, seasonal and food allergies, sex steroids particularly estrogens, excess dietary iodine, and trauma.

No one knows why some people only develop certain types of thyroid antibodies vs. others. And, there's no predicting just what a person's disease course may be due to the presence of certain antibodies. It pretty much boils down to treating whatever is going on at the time.

The possibly hyper period you describe sounds more typical for a period of hyperthyroidism that a person with Hashi's might have before hypothyroidism sets in....or a period of hyperthyroidism they might have as the thyroid dies off or throws off hormones.

People with hypothyroidism and "problematic" TSI will have hypo symptoms most of the time but, for several hours, days, weeks or months, have troublesome hyper symptoms.

And, for some of those people, taking the thyroid hormone replacement that is necessary for hypothyroidism treatment can actually make those hyper periods worse.

Yet, I am aware of at least one person who no longer had the periods of hyper symptoms once she started taking thyroid hormone replacement.

Just like with any disease, there are general rules/patterns for thyroid disease yet each person's journey can still be quite individual-specific.

Last edited by sammy64; 07-02-2012 at 04:52 AM.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
(female)

HelpMePlzz HB User

Thank you for clarifying this. I am sorrry it took a few days to respond. I usually spend my days working 7 - 3, and within an hour of getting home I am asleep on the couch.

I know that diabetes runs in my family. I believe my mom has the beginning stages of Parkinson's and/or Alzheimer's (she shows signs of both). Not too sure if this is relevant to my problem; just some family history I know of. My uncle has type 1 insulin dependant diabetes, and has actually had to have some toes amputated.

I have both food and seasonal allergies, I don't smoke, and I was haing to take some medication before my hysterectomy to try and get my menstraul cycle back on track. It actually made for the single most painful menstraul cycle I have EVER had. I was in the bed for 4 days straight and went through 4 bags of pads (overnight's) and 3 boxes f tampons (using them at the same time). Everytime I got out of bed I would pass multiple orange size blood clots. They finally determined it was adenomyosis and my uterus had swelled to 4x the normal size. You know with insurance companies you have to try everything possible before surgery. I had the ablation done and nothing changed. So stress was something very, very common for me at that point in time.

LOL, Would any of this be good triggers?

I am very thankful to have forums like this, with very helpful people to get us all through problems we may be having... It definitely helps to not go through this alone.

Reply Reply