It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
(female)

lmbdc HB User
Help decode my thyroid labs please!!!!

New here and new to thyroid issues, but hoping I might be able to find an answer of a few years of symptoms that seem to follow hypo (weight gain, sluggish/tired, dry skin, etc). Hypothyroidism runs in my family, too.

I am hoping someone can help shed some light on labs I just got back since I can't get in touch with my doctor until Monday or Tuesday...

TSH 1.81 (range .35-4.5)
FREE T4 .99 (range .80-1.80)
FREE T3 3.0 (range 2.3-4.2)
Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab 10.3 (range <35)
Thyroglobulin Antibody <20 (range <40)

"The thyroid microsomal antigen has been shown to be Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO). This assay detects anti-TPO antibodies."

It looks like these are all normal, right? But, what about the detection of anti-TPO antibodies...does that indicate Hashimotos or hypo? Any info/suggestions on next steps is greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by lmbdc; 06-22-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: more info

Old 06-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User
Re: Help decode my thyroid labs please!!!!

There's a way to figure what percentage your labs are in the range. They are more in the lower end. Someone else can explain how you do this, I suck at math!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User

Hi lmbdc! Even though your TSH is not elevated, it is slightly above optimal. Most healthy people have a TSH between 1 and 1.5, average being 1.2. Additionally, free thyroid hormones should be above the 50th percentile of the lab range, and clearly yours are not. Just because your thyroid antibodies were negative does not mean you do not have Hashimoto's or are not at risk for Hashimoto's. 20% of Autoimmune thyroiditis cases present with no circulating antibodies- it's only after ultrasound/ biopsy that Hashi's is determined in these cases. However, it won't change the course of treatment so knowing whether it's autoimmune should not make a difference (other than to convince your doctor to treat you with levels that are still within range).
I can show you how to determine % of lab range.
(your level) - (lowest range #) / (high range #) - (lowest range #)

FT4: (0.99 -0.8)/ (1.8 - 0.8) = 0.19/1 = 0.19 (100) = 19%
FT3: (3-2.3)/(4.2-2.3) = 0.7/1.9 = 37%

Old 06-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User

It's normal to have some antibodies floating around, it doesn't necessarily indicate Hashimoto's. Not sure what the logic behind this is, perhaps someone else can explain what the detection of *some* antibodies means.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
(female)

LionessScorp HB User

Hi Bee01....
I was reading your response to Bran's Nana and thought you may be able to help me, as well. I'm going to try to "do the math" that you suggested for her. But, I was wondering what you think of my lab results. I have multiple "low thyroid" symptoms including eye brow low (outer 1/3), muscle pain, joint pain, dry skin etc... and was treated with Iodoral and Cytomel in the past with some improvements. Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Free T3 2.7 {1.8-4.6}pg/mL
Free T4 1.1 {0.7-1.8}ng/dL
TSH 0.960 {0,400-5.500}uU/mL
TPO Antibody <1.0 {<5.6}IU/mL
Thyroglobin Ab 1.9 {14.4}IU/mL

THANKS!

Old 06-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

LionessScorp- not sure if you have the answer to this already.

FT3: 0.9/2.8 = 32% of range
FT4: 0.4/1.1 = 37% of range

Do you have low iodine levels? Unless your iodine levels are proven to be low and the cause of your hypothyroidism, it's generally not recommended to take more than the RDA. Too much iodine can also aggravate thyroid issues. Is there a reason you were place on a T3 only medication rather than taking T4 as well? Generally, people do not take T3 only because it can cause a drop in your T4.

The Following User Says Thank You to bee01 For This Useful Post:
LionessScorp (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
(female)

LionessScorp HB User

WOW! Thanks for responding so quickly!! The doctor had me do some test where you apply iodine (betadine) to the inner aspect of my forearm. I did it at night and then, if I recall, she asked if the mark was gone in the morning! ( I know, not that technical). It was gone. She said that may indicate a low iodine level. She put me on the Iodorol and Cytomel stating that my Reverse T3 was low and that if she gave me T4 it wouldn't be processed properly. I apologize for the lack of "details". I am an RN, but do not have wide knowledge of thyroid treatments etc.. LOL... I weaned myself off of both because it felt as though I was acquiring a "goiter" or a thick feeling in the area of my thyroid. I recently had a corpectomy with PEEK fusion and plate placement for C5, C6 issues. I think that the surgery aggrevaged things due to the anterior approach, close to the thyroid gland... Ughhhhhh... Thank you so much! It looks like I got the math correct, at least!! LOL

Reply Reply

Tags
antibodies, hashimotos, hypo, thyroid, tpo