It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #16
(female)

buffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB User
Re: My Thyroidectomy

HI! ok, surgery went well yesterday..Surgeon was able to keep parathyroids intact, and overall, im feeling ok...there is quite a bit of swelling and its very tender but that's to be expected..all tubes were out before i was aware of what was going on after the surgery..so that was good! Unfortunately, i got a reaction to the Dilaudid they were giving me in my IV and vomited..that was the worst part of this whole thing....i have a really bad sore throat from the tubes (and the vomiting). Im on 100mcg of synthroid and 2 tums, 2x a day .. my calcium levels today before discharge were great..and i have just noticed that slight tingling in my hands earlier today (they feel like they are "asleep") but it doesnt last very long. I'm glad to be home as i didnt sleep well in the hospital....i took a good nap when i got home, and i was trying to just stick to tylenol but ended up taking the lortabs which do help more with the pain! right now i have to say the incision looks worse than it feels!!!! i have to sleep sitting up or actually, on my side, with 2 pillows is quite comfortable..thanks for your thoughts and prayers...so far, everything is going well....how are you doing?

Old 07-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #17
(female)

optimist82 HB Useroptimist82 HB User

Hi!
I am SO HAPPY to hear things went well overall! It's great that your parathyroids were not damaged!

I'm sorry to hear you vomited - that must have made the soreness a lot worse But i agree, the scar looked much worse than how I actually felt the first few days. Do you have steri strips on top of your scar?

I definitely took the RX pain medicine for at least 2.5 days...I definitely needed them!

I found that for the first 5 days that it did become easier to eat. But it wasn't until the steri strips fell off and I began massaging my scar on day 6 or 7 that the tenderness started to go away.

One tip I have is for you to do some exercises to keep your neck from being too tense. I started to get bad headaches and stiff shoulders and once I started doing the exercises it helped tremendously. I would look to my right, then rotate my head down and to the left at least 10x every few hours. It's only been about a week and a 1/2 and my scar is looking better and better every day! I was wearing a light summer scarf at work this week but I don't think I'll have to actually wear it next week!

How is your appetite? Have you been able to eat?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #18
(female)

buffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB User

HI! no i dont have steri strips, he used a surgical glue..and its all neatly glued together!! I've been trying to do some neck exercises cuz they did tell me upon discharge to try to move my head/neck so it doesnt stiffen up...but right now the swelling makes it kind of difficult to move it very much but i will do what you suggest and try to increase my range of motion every day. Do you still get the tingling? I got it in my hands and face a bit earlier today, so i popped an extra tums..it helps. I m using the lortabs, but only have had to take 1 today...will wait to take more at bedtime.
My appetite is Ok, mainly craving soups, and scrambled eggs..thats about all i've eaten so far....you are SO right about the pain meds playing havoc on the bowels..ugh still waiting for some relief there...i took some dulcolax..hoping that helps (sorry, sure u didnt want all that info lol!) Remember i was telling you b4 surgery about the severe neck pain i had at the base of my neck in the back? well that is TOTALLY gone...! must be the nodules were pressing on something causing that pain. the swelling makes me feel as tho there is something stuck in my throat but im sure as it subsides, that feeling will as well. i have quite a bit of bruising clear down to the middle of my chest..today i took my synthroid, and shortly thereafter felt very sick to my stomach. thank god it passed and i didnt vomit..earlier today one of the RN's from the hospital called and wanted to kno how i was doing...she said the nausea is very common when someone first starts on synthroid, it should get better as my body adjusts. I feel so good that i even did some dishes this afternoon....i dont wana overdo tho, even tho im feeling good. My incision is about 4" long...bigger than what i thought it was gona be..but i was glad that he worked with a natural crease in my neck..SO encouraging to know that in about a week or so my scar will be looking better and better! My 2 yr old grandbaby looked scared when she first saw me today...i assured her i was ok, just had a big booboo that is starting to heal. Well, i will keep you updated, and are u still taking the tums??? What dose of synthroid are u taking? I think i said in my last post im on 100mcg. Have a good weekend...ttys! Joyce

Old 07-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #19
(female)

HI! no i dont have steri strips, he used a surgical glue..and its all neatly glued together!! I've been trying to do some neck exercises cuz they did tell me upon discharge to try to move my head/neck so it doesnt stiffen up...but right now the swelling makes it kind of difficult to move it very much but i will do what you suggest and try to increase my range of motion every day. Do you still get the tingling? I got it in my hands and face a bit earlier today, so i popped an extra tums..it helps. I m using the lortabs, but only have had to take 1 today...will wait to take more at bedtime.
My appetite is Ok, mainly craving soups, and scrambled eggs..thats about all i've eaten so far....you are SO right about the pain meds playing havoc on the bowels..ugh still waiting for some relief there...i took some dulcolax..hoping that helps (sorry, sure u didnt want all that info lol!) Remember i was telling you b4 surgery about the severe neck pain i had at the base of my neck in the back? well that is TOTALLY gone...! must be the nodules were pressing on something causing that pain. the swelling makes me feel as tho there is something stuck in my throat but im sure as it subsides, that feeling will as well. i have quite a bit of bruising clear down to the middle of my chest..today i took my synthroid, and shortly thereafter felt very sick to my stomach. thank god it passed and i didnt vomit..earlier today one of the RN's from the hospital called and wanted to kno how i was doing...she said the nausea is very common when someone first starts on synthroid, it should get better as my body adjusts. I feel so good that i even did some dishes this afternoon....i dont wana overdo tho, even tho im feeling good. My incision is about 4" long...bigger than what i thought it was gona be..but i was glad that he worked with a natural crease in my neck..SO encouraging to know that in about a week or so my scar will be looking better and better! My 2 yr old grandbaby looked scared when she first saw me today...i assured her i was ok, just had a big booboo that is starting to heal. Well, i will keep you updated, and are u still taking the tums??? What dose of synthroid are u taking? I think i said in my last post im on 100mcg. Have a good weekend...ttys! Joyce

The following user gives a hug of support to buffalonygal:
fallin apart (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #20
(female)

fallin apart HB Userfallin apart HB Userfallin apart HB User

So glad you mentioned that bruising down the middle of your chest! I too have bruising down to my sternum and was thinking this was too low but they assured me it was not. Glad to hear I'm not the only one :0) Hope you heal quickly!

The following user gives a hug of support to fallin apart:
buffalonygal (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #21
(female)

O yes, my chest is bruised, and there is even some bruising on the sides of my neck, the PA said that sometimes the surgeon has to do alot of stretching of the skin to get to what he needs to get to, and some ppl tend to bruise more easily than others. Did either of you have to get a hepron (sp?) shot in your thigh to prevent clotting? i had to get one every 8 hrs.and i got 3 sore bruises on my thigh! Hoping you heal quickly too fallin apart...how far out post op are you?

Old 07-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #22
(female)

Hi Joyce,
How are you feeling?

I did not have to get a heparin shot...how are your bruises healing? I am still on Calcium for one more week, but then I am done! No more tingling in my hands I am happy to report. How are you doing with the tingling sensations?

I am on 125 MCG of Synthroid and 5MCG of Cytomel.So far, so good. I have a normal level of energy and I am starting to do some light exercise. I have to admit, my scar looks a lot better with each passing week. I have been using Bio-Oil and Mederma, and try and apply one of those scar medicines 3x a day. I've heard massaging the scar is key so I do that a bit, but should be doing it more. How is your scar healing?

Would love to know how you're doing overall. Take good care!

Old 07-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #23
(female)

Hi Joyce,
How are you feeling?

I did not have to get a heparin shot...how are your bruises healing? I am still on Calcium for one more week, but then I am done! No more tingling in my hands I am happy to report. How are you doing with the tingling sensations?

I am on 125 MCG of Synthroid and 5MCG of Cytomel.So far, so good. I have a normal level of energy and I am starting to do some light exercise. I have to admit, my scar looks a lot better with each passing week. I have been using Bio-Oil and Mederma, and try and apply one of those scar medicines 3x a day. I've heard massaging the scar is key so I do that a bit, but should be doing it more. How is your scar healing?

Would love to know how you're doing overall. Take good care!

Old 07-12-2012, 06:22 AM   #24
(female)

HI!!! Well its been an interesting few days...i started on the 100mcgs of synthroid the day i was discharged from the hosp. (friday july6) and by sunday, i had a racing heart, blood pressure had spiked to the highest ever, and i felt like i'd just had 10 cups of coffee...i tired to ride it out, but by tues i called my pcp becuz of my bp and he wanted to see me. He said he thought dosage might be too high to start out..so he ordered me blood work. So i called my endo who got a copy of blood work and said "tsh is normal, continue on 100mcg" and i said NO..i explained that yesterday i skipped the dose completely and felt almost 100% better. I told him i would resume a half dose and then based on how i felt, increase it if needed. The nurse said that was ok but she wasnt happy about it...why do these drs just look at bloodwork and not listen to our symptoms???? Anyhow, i will start back on it tomorow morning..but right now feel good, bp is still slightly elevated but not nearly as bad as it was. the tingling sensation in hands is gone...and my resting pulse is around where it normally is (65-70) and it had been 92!!! Bruising is going away slowly and alot of the purple glue has come off revealing a nicely healing scar..i AM concerned tho, that i still have some swelling or puffiness directly around the scar......i called the surgeons office they said, of course, "its normal". Im still icing it..its not bad, but i can notice it and i feel it interferes with my range of motion turning my head side to side. Still awaiting pathology reports..keep telling myself no news is good news........I will keep u updated..and im using the bio oil also!!! IF the swelling were gone, i'd have to say it looks fabulous...i know i have a tendency to swell easily so i remind myself it may take me time to heal............How are u feeling?

Old 07-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #25
(female)

My surgery was the 6th (so the day after yours buffalonygal). I am still very tired. I did not get the shots in my thigh but they did use ted hose and compression thingys on my legs until I was discharged the 7th.
My chest looks normal again.
The steri strips are SLOWLY coming off now.
I am just soooo tired. I also have some anxiety and at times a racing pulse.
Boy I sooo wish I had not just taken my full dose of synthroid for the day...tomorrow I will try 1/2 to see if I feel better as well.
I am a bit worried since I was suppose to go back to work in another week (thinking it will be more like 2 weeks). My return appointment is not until the 19th (two weeks after surgery).

buffalonygal (07-14-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #26
(female)

HI!! Well i took it upon myself to half my dose and i feel SO much better, my blood pressure has gone back down to normal and no racing heartbeat!!! i dont know why they dont start out low, and go higher as symptoms warrent, instead of the other way around...my surgeon called me yesterday, said all pathology was benign so i was VERY thankful for that...i did tell him im concerned as under my incision i have a lump..he said its just fluid, and some people rid themselves of it quicker than others...i guess im a slow ridder lol....bruising is fading and my energy level is OK at the moment...i see him a week from the wed...so we will see what he has to say about the lump under the incision. What dose are u taking of synthroid? Our bodies have been thru alot and no longer have a little gland that did ALOT for our systems so i imagine it will take a while to get things in order........prayers for you...and i will keep you posted xo please do the same. o and yes i had those leg massagers on too..they felt good at first but after awhile, they got itchy and sweaty lol!!!!!!!! i finally asked the nurse to please take them off so i could try to sleep! she was nice enough to give me a 4 hr reprieve!!

The following user gives a hug of support to buffalonygal:
fallin apart (07-14-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #27
(female)

So glad you are recovering well. And congrads on your results...that is wonderful! Is under your chin still numb? The feeling has finally returned to my chin today but just above the incision is still sleeping soundly :0)
I wonder why I am still so tired when your energy has returned?

The Following User Says Thank You to fallin apart For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #28
(female)

thanks! under my chin was never really numb...but above my incision is sleeping soundly as well, and its swollen..not alot just enuf to be annoying...the scar itches and is numb at the same time if that makes any sense...my neck feels "full" and as odd as it seems i can bend my head down with no problem, looking up it feels like it pulls, and turning side to side pulls..but im trying very hard to at least keep my range of motion in the neck active cuz i hear it can be worse if you let those muscles stiffen. Honestly, my energy level is pretty good...i just dont wana bottom out in a few weeks like ive read on other posts...letting my body decide if its time to make any changes in dosage but right now i am doing good, its the swelling that is the most annoying thing im dealing with. Our bodies are all different..and it just may take you a bit more time to get your energy level back to normal....just dont push yourself. are you swollen at all around the incision site? Keep me posted on your progress and i will do the same!!!!!!! have a good nite

Old 07-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #29
(female)

Hi Joyce,
How is your energy level now? I am so sorry to hear your initial dose of medicine gave you those hyper symptoms! When do you get your next round of blood tests?

I'm doing ok - I've been so busy at work so I can't tell if my fatigue is because of that or because of my levels. I get my blood work done in 2 weeks so hope to find out whether I need any adjustments to my meds. But I do have to say it's not terrible fatigue like others have mentioned, so my medicine dosage must be close to the mark. My scar is healing well! How is yours?

The following user gives a hug of support to optimist82:
buffalonygal (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #30
(female)

HI!!! Feeling pretty good now that I've cut my dose down...i go see my surgeon on Wed..and im sure he will be pleased at how well the scar is healing...still have some slight swelling but its come down ALOT in the past week. Been faithfully using the bio oil or vit e oil on the scar. Seeing the endo on Aug. 9, and im sure i will get bloodwork done then. I'm sure he will be ticked off that i lowered my own dose, but i feel SO much better, my bp has been stable for the past week and a half (110/70 today!) heartrate is 65, and i am a bit tired, but like you, not sure if its a dosing problem or just being back to work, and getting back into my normal routine. scar is healing nicely, got a couple of tiny bumps or ridges...not sure if i should be "massaging" them like i've read some people have done? I will ck with the surgeon on Wed. overall, feeling pretty good---praying it continues!!!! Keep me posted on your progress also!!!!!!

Reply Reply