It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
(female)

KimberlyD143 HB User
Question Should I be worried about hypothyroid?

I was looking back over some of my past tests and dr still can't find a reason for why I feel so bad and why I am having heart palpitations. I started looking at my thyroid tests to see if that might have an answer, Does any of this point to thyroid problems. I really don't think dr is looking at this correctly from what research I have been doing myself:

T4 7.9
Free T4 2.3
T3 UPTAKE 28.7
TSH 1.154

TOTAL T3 0.90
FREE T3 2.5
THYROID PEROXIDASE ANTIBODY 26

I have had more run here recently that have yet to come back but these were run when I first started feeling bad. Any help?
I also have a major vitamin d deficency of 16 and a ferritin level of 20. I have noticed a lot of these things with myself but dr says its nothing and is sending me for a stress test for my heart: mood changes
eye brows are missing to the side( I pluck them semi thin all over but the ends are really thin and look almost non-existing so I have to pencil them in)
very thin hair or excessive shedding
low body temp in the morning
heavy periods
constipation
fatigue
weight gain
forgetfulness

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Should I be worried about hypothyroid?

You'll have to supply the lab's reference range for each test for us to interpret the results.
I think you're right that all is not so hunky-dory.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

I can't tell you how many times I and I'm sure everybody on here who's been here awhile read these symptoms over and over and over and are so classic of Hashi's or hypo and doctors miss them ALL the time. Our symptoms don't always correlate with the labs but it seems your FT3 is low, like almost at the bottom. My range is (2.3-4.2) Although it seems the FT4 is high or over the range, my range is (0.80-1.90). If this is the case,symptoms seem to come from the FT3 being low. This is one thing I still don't get after almost 6 years of this,researching, reading hundreds of people's questions etc... do symptoms just come from being short of T-3? My doc once said"T-4 is only a storage hormone." What do you guys think....sorry Kim I got off your topic but it seems like even though people might have a good FT4 their FT3 can remain low as we've seen a million times. Is this the only true "feel good" hormone, or the one that causes symptoms? Yours, if your ranges are like mine would explain it as being true.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

I think that's a FreeT4 index result......unfortunately, this test is a useless calculation.

Sorry, Kimberly - we really can't interpret your results without ranges. Different labs use different ranges so your results can only be properly interpreted within the context of your lab's ranges.

Your TSH is pretty "normal" but, that doesn't mean anything. However, it could very well be part of the reason your doctors missed your possible hypothyroidism (your symptoms indicate something is amuck)

The only tests that count are the FreeT4 (T4 or thyroxine, free, direct) and FreeT3 (tri-iodothyronine, free, serum).....

For whatever it's worth, I "feel" my FreeT4 level just as much as I feel my FreeT3 level. Both levels need to be at my setpoints if I am to be free of symptoms.

Since parts of the body need T4 to convert "on-site", it makes sense that a person would notice any deficiencies or excess.

People can have a mixture of hypo and hyper symptoms if one level is higher in the range and the other is lower in the range.

Balance is key.

Last edited by sammy64; 06-29-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Reply Reply