It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
(female)

jbryant HB User
Post HypoThyroid

I think I have hypothyroidism but my labs say everything is normal. My doctor is dismissive of the symptoms I'm having saying they aren't related to what my labs state. He did say my estrogen was a little low, but I'm menopausal. My other symptoms are very cold nose and hands that last several hours at a time. Some times the cold nose happens while I am having a hot flash. Kept record for 1 week of my metabolic temperature which registered 97.5 down to 93.0 brrrrrr!!!! It fluctuates wildly throughout the day. I can't loose weight and I assure you I don't overeat. My ankles swell a lot after sitting all day at work. I know plenty of women who weigh more than me who sit all day long and their ankles don't swell, so what's causing this? I've had my heart tested and it's fine. I've lost most of my eyebrows, my hair is turning grey and yes I am freaking out about all of this because I eat healthy, mostly organic vegetables, little meat, drink lots of green tea and no coffee, take my vitimans.

I think I do have hypothyroidism and was wondering if I take desiccated bovine thyroid tablets that I ordered online, will that help my symptoms improve or just make my situation worse? Anybody know????

Last edited by jbryant; 06-29-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User
Re: HypoThyroid

Please don't take bovine tablets, or any glandular tablets you order online. There is a small risk of contracting mad cow's disease from unregulated bovine glandular tablets. In the US, we have the benefit of eating meat regulated by the USDA, as are the pigs from which porcine powder is derived. Who knows what the standards are in Thailand, or wherever it is these tablets are coming from.
The other risk is of taking too much hormone or taking hormone when your thyroid isn't the problem. There are people who've died from this. There could be other causes for your symptoms besides thyroid disease.
I do suspect you could have "in range" thyroid labs that are sub-optimal. Please post your results, if you have them, and we will help you determine whether there is a thyroid issue. For reference, average TSH of healthy individuals runs between 1 and 1.5, average being around 1.2. Also, most healthy people have free thyroid hormones well above 50% of lab range. Being at the bottom of the range will cause hypothyroid symptoms in most people.
It's possible your doctor only checked TSH but you also need Free T4 and Free T3 to determine your thyroid status.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Your labs may be "normal" for someone, but they may not be "normal" for you. The correct interpretation of them is completely dependent on the knowledge and skill of the MD who's reading them. Very many - too many - MDs read only the black and white numbers and can't interpret the shades of gray.

Follow bee's advice and post your labs here, if you care to. It's entirely possible your doctor didn't order the right tests, enough of them, or he just doesn't know what to make of them.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
(female)

LPJessica22 HB UserLPJessica22 HB User

Sounds like you have some of the symptoms of this. I was just diagnosed with this disorder. I had no idea I had it. I knew I was gaining a lot of weight and I was always tired, but I thought it had to do with my other medications. I'm only 22 and I thought it happened to older women. I would talk to another doctor and explain your symptoms again and see if they can be put you on Synthroid. That's currently what I'm on. I hope you feel better soon!

Reply Reply

Tags
estrogen, menopause, thyroid