It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
(female)

tam090 HB Usertam090 HB User
side effects from synthyoid

I started taking it two weeks ago. At first, I thought I was feeling better. The intense pain in my calf started to go away. But, a week later, out of the blue I got elbow started hurting and then my wrist. A day after that, I got edema so bad I could barely walk from the skin being stretch.. my feel and calves, all the way up my legs were so swollen. The doctor put me on a water pill, took it, the swelling went down, but I became so dehydrauted that my entire body hurt when I woke up, headache.. it was horrible. My sleep is all disturbed because I can't lie on my arm and have to wear support on it and my wrist. Went to CVS to day and my blood pressure was 146/91. Insane, because I have never had high blood pressure. I am not taking this any more. Not to mention that I am more exhausted then I was before taking the meds.

I did have an ana of 1/1280 but nothing showed for the autoimmune in any of the test. I am just not sure what is going on. But not taking any more of that stuff.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User
Re: side effects from synthyoid

Your dose might just need to be adjusted.Are you having any symptoms of too much medication-like,feeling hot,irritated,shaky,anxious,or fast heartbeat?

I started on 25mg of synthroid and was feeling worse like you.Then my dose got raised to 50mg and I felt SO MUCH BETTER.You should talk to your doctor before quitting the medication.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

As I explained to you earlier, it's not uncommon to feel worse before feeling better with thyroid treatment. (You did see that reply, didn't you?)

Two weeks isn't even a blip on the thyroid radar screen.
And I'm not sure how you can blame Synthroid for the dehydration the water pill caused.

Doctors don't prepare us for the upheaval early treatment usually causes. That's why boards like these are so useful, because they report what it's like for real patients here in the trenches.

You're only hurting yourself for the long haul if you give up now.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
(female)

tam090 HB Usertam090 HB User

Hi Midwest, you seem so knowledgeable... On Monday, I was really feeling horrible, went to CSV and checked my blood pressure and it was sky high, so my doctor told me to come in. ( I have never had high blood pressure before ) Told her about the heart palipations, my legs and feet were all swollen still.. she took my blood pressure and it was 160/91 pulse 113. She took me off the synthoid. I started Armour Tues, Wed, and today. I am feeling better, my blood pressure is back to normal 112/80. I have no clue what to expect from Armour. I guess just wait and see. Thanks for being so kind in responding to past posts.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

So glad to hear your doctor was amenable to another kind of hormone! I had one endo who prescribes nothing but Synthroid. I couldn't take it, but she wouldn't prescribe any alternative. Told me to stop taking it and wait until I could "tolerate" it.

Don't "expect" anything. You must just wait and see. Reactions to any particular brand of drug are unpredictable and often surprising.

Let us know how it goes.

Reply Reply