It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
(female)

215ahd HB User
free T3 : reverse T3 ratio = 12

doctor says tests 1 - 3 are normal, but i thought the free T4 was a bit low. i've also been reading about the free T3 to reverse T3 ratio which should be >20 to be optimal. i have a follow-up appointment to discuss these results but i'd like to be well-prepared. any ideas? my doc's next steps are cortisol testing.

Lab results:

1. TSH = 1.98 uIU/mL (0.34 - 4.70)
2. Free T4 = 0.70 ng/dL (0.61 - 1.12)
3. Free T3 = 2.9 pg/mL (2.0 - 3.9)
4. Reverse T3 = 23.1 ng/dL (13.5 - 34.2)

Old 07-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User
Re: free T3 : reverse T3 ratio = 12

Your ft4 is only at 17.6 % of range. I'd be very sick with that number. Your ft3 is only at 47.3 % of range. Some people might feel OK with that but I think most people would need it to be higher.

As far as RT3, I can't help you there. I've been told mine is too high too but have found conflicting opinions when researching this.

How have you been feeling? I'm guessing not great since you are posting here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

I see your b12 results on your other post. Can you repost that here with the range? Just an FYI. My B12 came back at 536 (200-1100) and my GP said that was fine. However when I started seeing my dr. That brought me back to health I was told they generally recommend b12 injections for people with my level. I started a sublingual megadose and it helped to get rid of my tingly hands and feet, and it also helped with some vision issues I was having.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #4
(female)

215ahd HB User
Unhappy Re: free T3 : reverse T3 ratio = 12

I feel terrible and it's getting worse. I'm starting to piece some things together. Since about a month after my daughter was born in Sept 08, I've gained 30 lbs. I weigh more now than I did when she was born. A little over 2 years ago, I started having really bad problems with my eyes. Dry eyes, very severe. I can't wear contacts at all anymore, and everything I've done for the dry eyes does not work. Right around that same time period, I started putting on more weight. Exercising, low carb, WW, nothing I did worked, just kept gaining. I started feeling tired and needed a lot of sleep, often with naps during the day. The fatigue got really bad last Christmas, so I went to the doctor in January of this year. I also experienced a lot of pain, particularly in my hands and feet. My hands often tingle or go numb. My hair falls out, not in clumps but it's definitely noticeable. My eyes hurt all of the time. I get headaches every day now. About 3 weeks ago, I started feeling dizzy, and that comes and goes now.

My Vitamin D was 15 in January and it is 35 as of last test I just had in June. I tested ANA positive in January and was sent to a rheumatologist, however he found that the antibody markers weren't bad enough to diagnose with a full case of an autoimmune disorder. He chalked it up to fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. I've been to a psychiatrist, and he put me on anxiety and depression medication (klonopin and pristiq). I took them and still felt bad. I've since weaned myself off of them. I stopped taking birth control pills in 2010 in hopes that would help with weight loss...nothing. I currently take no medication, except I started doing Vitamin D supplements last week.

I went to a bariatric doctor a couple of weeks ago because the weight is going up and up. She said the Vitamin D was definitely a barrier. She ordered all of the tests I posted, but I haven't had a follow-up with her yet. She also tested fasting insulin and glucose, and they are fine. My B12 was 385 and the range is 211-946. I feel that the T4 is too low at 0.7 which is barely above the low end. I read that the free T3 to reverse T3 ratio should be >20, and mine is 12, so I'm hoping that will tell her something.

All I know is that I feel terrible, and it's getting worse. I can't do simple things for my family anymore, like cook a meal, wash clothes and put them away, without feeling exhausted and having to lay down. Last weekend, I slept on Saturday night from 10pm until 8:30am (10 1/2 hours!), got up, went to church, came home and did a few chores, then took a nap from 2pm until 4pm. And I sleep soundly. I never have a problem falling asleep or staying asleep. How in the world does a person need that much sleep?

I don't understand how I convince a doctor to treat my symptoms and try doing something for my thyroid...even if it's just to see if it makes me feel better. Any advice on that? I have a follow-up with this new bariatric doctor next week, and I want to be prepared. She's also mentioned doing a cortisol test (a spit test?).

I can't keep going on like this. At times, I feel so bad that I've considered checking myself into the emergency room. I'm desperate for relief. I have a roof over my head, a wonderful family, a great job...but I am miserable because I feel so bad.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
(female)

215ahd HB User

Also, is there anything I can do to help my B12 levels increase? Or is the only solution the injections?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Unfortunately it is hard to find a dr to treat our thyroid issues adequetely. Some people, including myself, have found success seeing a naturopath. You sound a lot like me, except my TSH was @ 7.1 when I was diagnosed. Currently my numbers are not as bad, but I am barely functioning. But I have a dr willing to work with me to make me feel better.

I would recommend starting b12 supplements ASAP. I take sublingual tablets (2500-5000?) and I started to help with my hand and feet tingles. Those disappeared in a few weeks. However I was also having issues with my eyes, like focus issues. And I swear after taking my first megadose tablet I woke up the next day and noticed a difference in the clarity of my eyesight. I didn't even know b12 could help with that.

Also, you don't have to worry about getting too much b12 as your body excretes what it does not need. I told my mother in law about b12 as she was diagnosed hypo this past year. She discussed with her pharmacist as she has other health issues and he confirmed what I had told her. And she was amazed how much it helped her neuropathy. She also has raynauds disease and she thought there was no help for her neuropathy as she chalked it up to raynauds.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
(female)

215ahd HB User

Thank you for the B12 info.

Do you take medication for your thyroid? Or is your doctor the naturopath?

If you take medication for your thyroid, does it make you feel better?

Old 07-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, the doc I see is a naturopath and not allowed to prescribe meds in MO. But she works in the same office as an MD and my scripts are actually from him. I started with 75 of synthroid many years ago. After several med adjustments I am currently taking 175 synthroid and 20 cytomel. The meds did help me for several years but my thyroid seems to be dying off the past 18 months so I have struggled. Hoping to be optimal again soon.

Reply Reply