It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 05:36 AM   #1
(female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User
Diagnosed borderline hashi but feel awful

Hi all, am searching for answers after unsuccessful attemtpts at being treated for peri menopause at the age of 40. My doc decided to do a thyroid test, iron test hormones etc. the TSH came back elevated but not sure what it was, but he then went further and did the full thyroid test which showed antibodies, but TSH in normal range that time. I was told borderline hashi and given 50 mcg thyroxine to take and retested 6 wks later.
Results were
TSH 1.5 (0.04-4.00)
FT4 17pmol/L (10-20)
Free T3 4.8 (2.8-6.8)
Anti thyroglobulin Ab. <10 (<60)
Anti thyroid per oxidase Ab. 86U/ml (<60)

Iron was 7.4 (up from 6.9) iron store was 34 (up from 22)
B12 is normal range

I am mostly exhausted and cold, losing hair, circular patches of skin falling off elbows intermittently, ends of eyebrows thinned to nothing, dry itchy eyes and poor focus (eye scan normal) also moody. I have some good days then followed by feeling wiped out but this is happening more often and the last week or so is with very sore red throat, raspy hoarse voice and tightness in chest right down to under rib cage, joint pain is really only related to bad back (surgery) and SI joint. Sore throats are new as about 2 years ago I had quinsy, glandular fever and several throat infections so the tonsils came out and had nothing since until now. IF I am just borderline would I be having these symptoms with hashi or is it hormonal due to peri menopause? I am really struggling to keep up with daily life and 4 kids and find it hard to commit to anything as I don't know if I will be able for it on the day! Doc is now sending me to endocrinologist and also for thyroid scan. Will they be able to tell if it is menopause or auto immune?
Would really love some feedback ESP on the labs as they all seem to be in normal ranges.

Thank you for taking the time to read my long winded questions!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Diagnosed borderline hashi but feel awful

Sorry to hear of your struggles.

Without a doubt, you are hypothyroid and the cause is autoimmune as evidenced by your high Anti thyroid peroxidase Ab level.

The symptoms you describe are typical for hypothyroidism. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon for symptoms to worsen or new ones develop during the meds titration process. It's all part of the body getting used to new levels of hormone that it had been deficient in for so long.

Treating hypothyroidism is a two steps forward, one step back type of deal. While the early months of the meds titration process are the toughest, things do start to even out as we near our optimal levels (usually FreeT4/T3 around 60-80% of range).

Complete symptom elimination usually doesn't happen until after we've become stable at our optimal levels.

The best we can do is get labs every 6 wks and push the doctor for dose adjustments until both the FreeT4/T3 levels are around 60-80% of range. It would then be appropriate to "wear" those levels for a little while to see if they are optimal for you.

If they are optimal for *you*, symptoms will dissipate. If symptoms return or new ones develop, a dose adjustment would again be appropriate.

It's a long process but, very much worth it.

Best of luck to you moving forward!

The following user gives a hug of support to sammy64:
Surfing4answers (07-05-2012)
Reply Reply