It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
(female)

Purplerain123 HB User
Help me PLEASE, noone understands :(

I was first diognosed with Hyperthyroidism when I was 16 (after 5 years or so hard years of investigation) and then recived treatment with medicine (carbimazole) for almost two years. I was healthy for about a year but then relapsed again and now I have to choose between RAI and surgery and I dont know which to do, they both result in hypothyroidism Not only can I not handle these sickeningly familiar symptoms coming back but I don't know how to explain it to people. My memory and concentration are awful, my mind is foggy and grey, I'm depressed and tired all of the time and noone understands because I look healthy and have no visible symptoms. I've been on 5mg of carbimazole for around 2 months and a half and I initially felt a tiny bit better, but now I feel worse than I did before the medicine. I recently found out that my thyroid level was 12 (went down from 25.6 two months ago) I was told that it was fine but that seems quite low to me? Can anyone relate? I feel like giving up.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
Re: Help me PLEASE, noone understands :(

((hugs)) Welcome to the board although I'm sorry for the reason you're here.

Please don't give up, although the road might be hard, things will get better.

Do you have any recent labresults? I know you mention one (I assume FT4) and that's its normal but if you'd have the exact labresults (including reference ranges) please feel free to post them. You might want to ask your doctor for a hardcopy, always good to keep track of things.
the levels are important for symptoms and correct dosing on ATD. TSH should be disregarded and one wants to dose ATD based on FT4 (which should be at least midrange, preferable higher).
Your symptoms could be caused by the fact that your FT4 dropped too low or at any rate your levels not being good.

No need to rush into surgery or RAI. I don't know the exact percentage but plenty of people with Graves are able to achieve remission on ATD.

As far as not understanding, how hard it is, it's hard for others to understand. Sometimes I use something to the extend of "compare it with a constant flu". Of course a flu is something completely different, but it's something most somehow can relate with (most did have a flu in their life and that did not exactly feel good). I do hope you have some people around you to support you. Please know we're here for you when you need it.

hang in there! hugs again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply