It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
(female)

woodkath HB User
Unhappy Help with thyroid question

I went to my internist because I was having problems swallowing food. It felt like my neck and throat were being squeezed. I have had a hard time sleeping even though I could sleep for 9 hours I never felt like I sleep. I have gained 60 pounds in the last two years and no type of dieting seems to do anything. I am 52 so I wasn't sure if it was hormone related or thyroid related so she did blood work and all my test came back fine. She said estrogen was fine and my tsh was 1.1 and the t4 was 1.1 also.

She sent me for a thyroid ultrasound where they found that I had an diffused thyroid with no nodules. The sizes are 6.9 x 3.1 x 1.9 (R) 5.6 x 2.5 x 1.9 (l)
I was sent to an ENT not and Endo and they told me that I had reflux and this was the reason for the swallowing issue. I went back to the internal medicine doctor and she told me that I can come back in 6 months and she will see how my thyroid is doing and order another ultrasound then. I told her that my paternal grandmother had a goiter and had to have it removed and my mother had a goiter with nodules (diagnosed at 52 also) she felt that it wasn't necessary to go to an Endocrinologist because my tsh test levels were normal.

This is so frustrating, it seems like no one looks at all the symptoms:
weight gain,
hair loss
leather-like skin
chronic fatigue,
extreme concentration and memory issues
all of which could be age as told by two doctors

My question is, can a thyroid get enlarged for no reason? I feel that there is a reason that this is enlarged and it seems to be growing. Do you feel that a visit to the Endocrinologist against her orders is due?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User
Re: Help with thyroid question

I feel so bad when I read these posts.... So many people come on here and they say the same thing and it's SO clear it's a thyroid problem but docs will look at the tsh and say"you're normal." The thing is if that's a FREE T-4 level that is probably too low for most people. It's too bad we didn't all have these levels checked when we felt right to compare how they change with thyroid disease. The fact that your thyroid is enlarged shows that something is wrong and it swells to try to work harder to struggle against the low levels that are not right for you. You have the classic symptoms. You could ask for a FREE T-3 level too. They have to be the free levels,totals aren't reliable. It seems the one they tested on you is probably the free T-4.Do you have the lab ranges? The only thing you can do is keep trying other docs until someone will help you. Sometimes endos aren't always the best but you could find out (from a pharmacist) which in your area prescribe Cytomel or Armour,they might be more open minded. Docs who just go by tsh, forget it, unless you are over the range like a tsh of 5, they won't treat, it's really a shame.
p.s. the fact that your Mom AND grandmother had this issue, makes it even more likely that it's thyroid for sure.

Last edited by Bran'sNana; 07-05-2012 at 11:01 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bran'sNana For This Useful Post:
woodkath (07-05-2012)
Old 07-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
(female)

woodkath HB User

Thank you for the help! I know I'm not crazy, I just wish someone would listen. I had to get a necklace extension because my necklace was getting to tight. My doctor said that my levels were normal so I should wait six months and follow up. My mom said I need to go to the Endo since they specialize in that and it is on both sides of the family. I asked about the T3 and she said it wan't necessary since the other two were normal.

I called and made an appointment with an endocrinologist anyway. I am hoping someone has an answer instead of sometimes it just gets enlarged!

Old 07-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

I'm glad you're seeing an endo. Usually they will also run antibody tests to see if you are positive for Hashimoto's. There's no reason why with a low level of the T-4 that they wouldn't consider starting you on replacement. That's what counts the free levels. That is what is in your bloodstream not bound by anything else and what's available for your body to use. If your lab ranges are like FT4-(0.80-1.80 or 1.90) you have plenty of room there to go up if yours is 1.01. Like I said, just wonder what our levels were when we FELT normal not just that our numbers were in the "normal" range! I hope you get some answers. Keep pushing..

Reply Reply