It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User
What tests to ask for??

So I have an appointment next week for a complete physical.I wanted to ask what tests should I request from my doctor regarding my thyroid? I know a lot of you think TSH is useless.My doctor seems pretty flexible, so I hope she will be open to my suggestions.

Any advice?

And just for reference,I have already been diagnosed as hypothyroid by a different doctor but never tested for antibodies.I'm on 50mg of synthroid.These were my levels:

TSH 5.630 ranges 0.450-4.500

T4 6.3 ranges 4.5-12.0

T3 uptake 35 ranges 24-39

Free Thyroxine Index 2.2 ranges 1.2-4.9

Also,creatinine 1.18 ranges 0.57-1.00

Eos 8 ranges 0-7

(I have no idea what the last one EOS means and my doctor did not explain.If anyone knows I'd be grateful for your insight)

Last edited by WhenItRains; 07-05-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: What tests to ask for??

TSH is generally useless. In the rare instances where it rises out of range, it's the only 'proof' most MDs will accept. The problem is, too often it doesn't rise out of range for decades after the thyroid hormones have become deficient.

The absolute minimum tests needed for screening are TSH and free T4. If you have multiple hypothyroid-like symptoms, thyroid antibodies tests (both TPO and Tg) and free T3 would be very useful. Even if both antibodies tests come back negative, that isn't proof that you don't have Hashimoto's; it might only mean the test could be one of the up-to-20% that are false-negative.

That's it. The tests you don't want are total T4 (or "plain" T4), total T3, T3 uptake, or thyroxine free index (aka "T7"). None of these are useful. Don't accept them as substitute for genuine free T4/3 tests.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
LPD (07-05-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
(female)

doodlegrl08 HB Userdoodlegrl08 HB Userdoodlegrl08 HB User
Re: What tests to ask for??

TSH is the MOST important test actually! This is the main thyroid test, if it is over a 2 and you are having symptoms they may treat. They also need to test your Triiodothyronine Free (T3F) Ref Range 2.0-4.4 (you want between 3.0 and 3.5). Also make sure they test your Vitamin D level. If your TSH was a 5.630 then yes Synthroid 50mcg 1 every morning is correct. You have to start off on a low dose and work your way up 25mcg at a time every 6 wks to 3 months. Hope this helps!

Reply Reply