It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
(female)

boofer123 HB User
Question Hoshimotos for 40 years

so I was diagnosed with hoshimotos at age 9. I had a goiter. Took Synthoid until levothyroxine became available. My TSH slipped to (.11) out of the normal (.3 - 5.5) range. I was on 112 MCG and now switched to 100 MCG. I have gained 10 lbs int he last 9 months. I'm now 5'5" and 138 lbs. I have constipation, diarrhea, bloating, really bad gas, heat flashed and sweats. Was it right for my dose to be lowered? Should I go back to real Synthroid?

Old 07-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hoshimotos for 40 years

If you didn't have those symptoms while taking genuine Synthroid, then yes... You should go back to Synthroid. There can be real differences between the ways the different thyroid hormone preparations may work within your body, even at the exact dosage.

If you were experiencing some symptoms while taking Synthroid, though, it would be better to use your free T4 and free T3 levels as a guide to dosage. If your MD is testing only your TSH and not testing the free T levels, he's only guessing at the right dosage for your needs.

Hope it gets better for you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

Was the change to generic done at the same time as your dose was lowered? Do you have labs showing your Free T3 and Free T4 with ranges?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

Since you have Hashi's, have you ever considered going gluten free? It seems that alot of your symptoms are based around your gut. Since our immune system starts in our stomach and hashi's is an immune disorder, treating your stomach may ease your symptoms. I was diagnosed with hashi's in March and it wasn't until I started to clean up my gut that I felt better. Even taking meds didn't completely help. I went gluten free and alot of the symptoms went away.

Reply Reply