It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 04:09 AM   #1
(male)

Darkplace HB User
im 100% sure its my thyroid??

I have nearly all thyroid symptoms but all my blood results are normal, ive had 'tsh, 0.52' 'free t4, 12' and 'antibody,normal', is it possible to still have thyroid problems with normal results? my results are bang in the middle of the range!! so frustrated because my gp said its not possible and he doesnt know what it is and offered me anti depressant,lol!! my symptoms are: constantly tired from the minute i wake up, tight chest, lump feeling in my throat, my mood is up and down all day with spells of anxiety/depression(i tried antidepressants 2 years ago when the symptoms first started but none of them worked), pains in lower flank of my back, head aches.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:43 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: im 100% sure its my thyroid??

Hello
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkplace View Post
is it possible to still have thyroid problems with normal results?
Yes it is. I think you should check the range for FT4 in your lab, usually a level of 12 is not really "bang in the middle of the range" but on the low side. A TSH level on the low side (which your TSH would be) with a lowish FT4 could point towards secondary hypoT where the pituitary gland doesn't release enough TSH to make thyroid to function normally.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 07-09-2012 at 04:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2012, 04:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Welcome!

Sorry for the reason you're here but, glad you found us.

Without a doubt, it's entirely possible to be hypothyroid with "normal" (aka in-range). If your levels aren't YOUR normal, you can have symptoms such as you describe.

Another reason for low TSH when the patient is dealing with hypothyroidism could be the presence of certain antibodies - this is more common than pituitary dysfunction.

While most people with Hashi's will test positive for either/both TPOab's/TGab's, some people will have either TSI or TRab which can cause hypothyroidism with a lower TSH.

Last edited by sammy64; 07-09-2012 at 04:54 AM.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
(male)

Darkplace HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
Hello Yes it is. I think you should check the range for FT4 in your lab, usually a level of 12 is not really "bang in the middle of the range" but on the low side. A TSH level on the low side (which your TSH would be) with a lowish FT4 could point towards secondary hypoT where the pituitary gland doesn't release enough TSH to make thyroid to function normally.

my results are tsh 0.52 (0.4-4.5) and free t4 12(9.0-25)

Old 07-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkplace View Post
free t4 12(9.0-25)
As I suspected, your FT4 is in the low third of the range which would be too low for most people.

The Following User Says Thank You to FinnMaid For This Useful Post:
Darkplace (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
(male)

Darkplace HB User

Quote:
As I suspected, your FT4 is in the low third of the range which would be too low for most people.

that is great to hear in a funny sort of way(stops me thinking im going mad), because my gp told me that all my levels are in the middle and offered me anti depressants,lol, next step is to convince him because i have seen 3 other gp's at the same surgery and they say the same?

Old 07-10-2012, 03:03 AM   #7
(male)

Darkplace HB User

Hi, really sorry but i posted the wrong range fro my results, i phoned my gp today and these are my ranges: tsh 0.52 (0.43-5.6) free t4 12.3 (7.5-21.1) are these still out?

Old 07-10-2012, 04:44 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Your level would still be below midrange, but can be difficult to convince a doc to give meds a try at least with these type of levels.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
(male)

Darkplace HB User

Quote:
Your level would still be below midrange, but can be difficult to convince a doc to give meds a try at least with these type of levels.

Hi, just had my levels done again but with t3(which g.p. has said is normal) this time here are my results: tsh is 0.52 (0.34-5.6) free t4 15.1 (7.5-21.1), my free t4 has gone up since last time(last time 12!!

my t3 5.1 (3.1-6.1)

Old 07-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Your current labs look pretty good, I'm positive it would be impossible to get hypoT meds with these type of levels. Now I'm not saying there cannnot possibly be anything wrong with your thyroid but I would suggest you look into other issues that could cause hypoT type of symptoms - adrenal function, blood iron levels, vitamin B12 and D levels, maybe even body's pH balance (which is a controversial subject but fixing that has helped me a great deal).

Last edited by FinnMaid; 07-17-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Reply Reply