It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #1
(female)

woodkath HB User
Angry More confused after going to the Endo

Against my Doctors orders I made an appointment with the Endo and I went yesterday. A little background is that I went to my doctor complaining about my difficulty swallowing and the feeling like my neck is being squished. I also have gained 60 pounds in 2 years, I have extremely dry and thick skin, total chronic fatigue even though I sleep 8 - 9 hours a night I feel like I don't sleep at all, my hair is thinning and extreme concentration and memory issues.

My TSH level was 1.1 - (.3 - 3.0)
T4 - 1.1 out of (.1 - 1.7)
I was sent for an ultrasound and they found a goiter:
The sizes are 6.9cm x 3.1cm x 1.9cm (R) 5.6cm x 2.5cm x 1.9cm (l)

My doctor told me that I didn't need to go to the Endo but I made an appointment anyway. When I was at my appointment he did a thorough checkup and confirmed that I had hashimotos but there was no reason to put me on any medicine since all my labs were normal. I asked about the FT3 test and he said the T4 was more accurate. He did order an antibody test and another TSh test just to see if anything has changed in a month and he told me that I need to come back in two months for more blood work and another ultrasound. In the meantime he told me that I should have a sleep study done and the bulk of my symptoms were related to sleep apnea. I explained that my Mother and my father's mother also had thyroid issues, my mother had nodules and my grandmother had a goiter removed but he still said since the levels were normal he was taking a wait and see approach. He told me that I need to follow a 1200 calorie diet that this is the best way to lose the weight and a more rigorous exercise program. When you can't even stay awake to drive home I am lucky I have the energy to make dinner and eat it. He stated that I wasn't eating enough and I need to try and get my calories up. As far as the swallowing goes I was told that I have reflux and the ENT put me on medicine and that seemed to clear up the choking and swallowing issues.

I have been to an internal medicine doctor, the ENT I got referred to and now the Endo. I am so frustrated!! I don't know what to do, do I just wait the two months and see what happens? I am at a loss
Thanks any advice will be greatly appreciated!!
Tired and depressed in NC

Last edited by woodkath; 07-13-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: More confused after going to the Endo

Unfortunately, your TSH is so "normal" that doctors who focus only on TSH will miss hypothyroidism.

"The Autoimmune Epidemic" states that the average person with an autoimmune disease sees 6 doctors before getting a proper diagnosis/treatment.

I had to kiss 4 toads before finding my prince(ss).

Before I comment any further, would you please clarify what you're listing as a T4 result? The ranges seem to correspond to maybe a FreeT4 Index.....or maybe you made a typo with the ranges.

Last edited by sammy64; 07-13-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
(female)

woodkath HB User

Yes it is the free T4, they didn't do the free T3. I am hoping to get the new results on Monday.

It is very frustrating when I have so many signs and a family history on both sides and I get told, you have hashimotos disease and we will see in two months. In the meantime go on a diet and try a sleep study. I'm 52 years old, I do watch what I eat and I haven't had any major life changes happen either. They even tested for anything that might be lacking from menopause and everything was fine there.

Just frustrated!

Old 07-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
(female)

woodkath HB User

They did the antibodies and TSH test again. Those are the results I'm waiting for

Last edited by woodkath; 07-13-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

I hope you can get a doctor to listen to your symptoms and not just go by your tsh.I hope I live to see the day (I'm in my 50's) that they are taught in med school that they should mostly go by the free levels,symptoms and antibodies with hypo thyroid! Just keep pushing hon, that's all you can do. We recommend to try asking a pharmacist who prescribes Armour or Cytomel.Some will tell you,if you are tired of going to a hundred docs. These docs tend to be a lot more open minded.

Last edited by Bran'sNana; 07-13-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
(female)

woodkath HB User

It is just so frustrating, my normal doctor told me I didn't even need an Endo that it was just an enlarged thyroid and they don't do anything for it. Now he agrees with my normal doctor.

I will try that, one of my sons friends mom is a pharmacist maybe she will know of someone. I hate the fact that they think you are there for your weight. I purposely didn't even bring that up as one of the main reasons just for that reason. I thought that having a goiter that was double the size and a family history in both sides on top if the symptoms would be enough.

I guess not!

Old 07-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
(female)

woodkath HB User

It is just so frustrating, my normal doctor told me I didn't even need an Endo that it was just an enlarged thyroid and they don't do anything for it. Now he agrees with my normal doctor.

I will try that, one of my sons friends mom is a pharmacist maybe she will know of someone. I hate the fact that they think you are there for your weight. I purposely didn't even bring that up as one of the main reasons just for that reason. I thought that having a goiter that was double the size and a family history in both sides on top if the symptoms would be enough.

I guess not!

Old 07-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodkath View Post
Yes it is the free T4, they didn't do the free T3. I am hoping to get the new results on Monday.
Well, if that is a FreeT4 result, the ranges are really weird. You typed ".1 -1.7".

Usually the lower end of the range is much higher - like .82 or so.

Obviously, this would make a difference in the interpretation of your labs.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
(female)

woodkath HB User

I'm sorry it was .7 to 1.7 I thought you were questioning the fact they were both tests results were 1.1. I'm assuming since it is right in the middle that's why it is considered normal.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for clarifying the ranges.

Based upon a .7 to 1.7 range, a FreeT4 level of 1.1 is not right in the middle of the range - it's just below mid-range. No one feels good with a level like that.

Unfortunately, all too many doctors look at thyroid test results that fall within the normal range and declare the patient normal when he/she is anything but.

Thyroid textbooks confirm that healthy people have FreeT4 levels near the high end of the range.

You need to find a doctor that didn't sleep through thyroid class and has kept up with things.

It takes some work to find a thyroid-savvy doctor but it's worth every effort.

Please keep us posted.

Last edited by sammy64; 07-13-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

My first endo who I went to when I was hyper said the women WANT to stay hyper....he put his hands on his waist and said"look how skinny I am though!" that was bull for me I NEVER thought that....I was always skinny and didn't WANT to be too skinny and feel like a maniac! This is the thing...they must ALL think that.. so if you go in saying anything about being overweight, they think you want it for weight loss, especially male docs i think... they just don't get you don't FEEL well hypo and they can't get past that sometimes. They think women will O-D on it! So dumb! They must be taught that in endo school. It doesn't feel good to be either or..

Reply Reply

Tags
hasamoto's disease, thyroid, thyroid blood tests, thyroid disease