It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
(male)

bennyha HB User
Help reading my labs

Hello everyone I am new here. I have many symptoms of hypothyroidism for the past year, so I got some saliva and blood work done. My symptoms include no or low energy-especially at 10 AM and between 2:00-4:00 PM every afternoon, horrible sleep, no sex drive, extremely cold hands and feet ALL THE TIME, can't sweat, acne, constant brain fog, easily irritable, etc. Here are the results of the labs I just took. If anyone has any advice on to what might be wrong and what I should look into taking to help me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

My results Range
Estradiol-0.9 pg/ml 0.5-2.2
Testosterone-73 pg/ml 72-148
DHEAS-15.2 ng/ml 2-23
Morning Cortisol (5 AM)-6.4 ng/ml 3.7-9.5
Noon Cortisol-3.1 1.2-3.0
Evening Cortisol-0.8 0.6-1.9
Night Cortisol-0.9 0.4-1.0
PSA-3.1 ng/ml 0.5-4.0
Free T4-1.3 ng/dL 0.7-2.5
Free T3-2.5 pg/ml 2.5-6.5
TSH-3.5 uU/ml 0.5-3.0
TPO-25 IU/ml 0-150

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
(female)

doodlegrl08 HB Userdoodlegrl08 HB Userdoodlegrl08 HB User
Re: Help reading my labs

For one how old are you? Because those testosterone reference ranges are female ranges. Male ranges are from 348-1197. Your PSA is elevated not drastically elevated but elevated. You may check you for Prostatitis (which is a prostate infection). You have Hypothyroidism because your TSH is 3.5 you treat after a 2. You want your TSH to be around a 1 for optimal range. And your T3F should be between 3-4. So your doctor will probably start you on Levothyroxine or Armour Thyroid. Hope this helps you! Thanks

Old 07-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
(male)

bennyha HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlegrl08 View Post
For one how old are you? Because those testosterone reference ranges are female ranges. Male ranges are from 348-1197. Your PSA is elevated not drastically elevated but elevated. You may check you for Prostatitis (which is a prostate infection). You have Hypothyroidism because your TSH is 3.5 you treat after a 2. You want your TSH to be around a 1 for optimal range. And your T3F should be between 3-4. So your doctor will probably start you on Levothyroxine or Armour Thyroid. Hope this helps you! Thanks
Thank you much for your reply. Sorry I should have noted that I am a 30 year old male, 5'11 150 lbs. We must be looking at different unit measurements regarding testosterone. My was done via a saliva test by ZRT Labs, and it says the range for a male between the ages of 16-30 is 72-148 pg/ml, while mine is 73, so I'm at the bottom of the barrel in that.

It seems very little "health professionals" I deal with know much about hypothyroid. One said the only thing they could after looking at my results was give me an over the counter adrenal supplement by Dr. James Wilson to support my adrenals and possibly start off on the lowest dose of T3. Others have said everything is fine. I know I'm not fine. I know how I feel is now at all how I used to feel. And I know from looking at other peoples results and comparing them to mine that I'm in desperate need of something to help my thyroids

Old 07-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
(female)

Thanks, I was going to say your testosterone for serum (blood) is almost nothing! There are a lot of doctor out there that do not like to treat hypothyroidism for some reason. Ask your doctor to send you to a Endocrinologist and this is a doctor specifically for hypothyroidism because you do have this and should be started on a medication. It is not HORRIBLE, but it is increased. Some symptoms you might be feeling at fatigue, shakiness, hair loss, weight gain, etc. These are all symptoms of hypothyroidism. Another thing is next time make sure they test Vitamin D for some reason everyones vitamin d is low and that can also make you feel fatigue. Vitamin d is what helps calcium make our bones strong so if we are low we are more susceptible to breaking bones or getting osteoporosis in older ages. But anyways I would talk to your doctor again about Hypothyroidism because they can start you on a thyroid medication with those numbers especially knowing your TSH is 3.5 and should be 1. Thanks!

Old 07-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Welcome!

Sorry for the reason you're here but, glad you found us.

I'm only able to interpret thyroid labs so, will comment on those

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyha View Post
Free T4-1.3 ng/dL 0.7-2.5
Free T3-2.5 pg/ml 2.5-6.5
TSH-3.5 uU/ml 0.5-3.0
TPO-25 IU/ml 0-150
The TPO test is one of the two tests for Hashi's antibodies. TPOab's are actually markers of thyroid inflammation so, your somewhat lower level probably isn't helping you get a diagnosis.

You might want to try getting a TGab (thyroglobulin antibody) test since people with Hashi's usually test positive for at least one of the two antibodies.

Your thyroid function tests indicate hypothyroidism, without a doubt.

Your over-range TSH level is telling us that your pituitary glad is screaming at your thyroid to produce more hormone.

As you can see, your actual thyroid hormone levels (FreeT4 and FreeT3) are near the bottom ends of their ranges. Healthy people have levels well above mid-range, if not closer to the high end of the range.

Endos are the least likely to recognize hypothyroidism. DO's, internists or alternative MD's usually "get thyroid".

I suggest you check the Top Thyroid Doctors site for listings of doctors in your state.

Another idea is to get contact info from local pharmacists for doctors that Rx Armour - these doctors tend to be more thyroid-savvy. You'll need to speak to the pharmacist directly and not the counter help. If the first one isn't helpful, just move onto the next.

Best of luck to you moving forward - please keep us posted.

Last edited by sammy64; 07-13-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
(male)

bennyha HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy64 View Post
Welcome!

Sorry for the reason you're here but, glad you found us.

I'm only able to interpret thyroid labs so, will comment on those

The TPO test is one of the two tests for Hashi's antibodies. TPOab's are actually markers of thyroid inflammation so, your somewhat lower level probably isn't helping you get a diagnosis.

You might want to try getting a TGab (thyroglobulin antibody) test since people with Hashi's usually test positive for at least one of the two antibodies.

Your thyroid function tests indicate hypothyroidism, without a doubt.

Your over-range TSH level is telling us that your pituitary glad is screaming at your thyroid to produce more hormone.

As you can see, your actual thyroid hormone levels (FreeT4 and FreeT3) are near the bottom ends of their ranges. Healthy people have levels well above mid-range, if not closer to the high end of the range.

Endos are the least likely to recognize hypothyroidism. DO's, internists or alternative MD's usually "get thyroid".

I suggest you check the Top Thyroid Doctors site for listings of doctors in your state.

Another idea is to get contact info from local pharmacists for doctors that Rx Armour - these doctors tend to be more thyroid-savvy. You'll need to speak to the pharmacist directly and not the counter help. If the first one isn't helpful, just move onto the next.

Best of luck to you moving forward - please keep us posted.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I greatly appreciate it. I got my labs through a compounding pharmacist and then they sent to my Dr. Of course my Dr. didn't think I needed anything. And the compounding pharmacist said that I didn't need Armour when I specifically asked her about it. She said a low dose T3 would be the only option. Does this sound right? Both numbers look really low to me. I just don't see how someone trained to be a doctor can't look at my labs and see that I'm having problems with my thyroid. I have a host of the symptoms as well-no energy, can't sleep, can't sweat, constant brain fog, hands and feet are always freezing cold (even in the summer), inability to focus and concentrate, etc etc etc.

I have felt so bad for so long, and I'm losing hope. I don't have any kind of medical insurance, and to say I'm struggling financially would be an understatement. I don't know what to do, and where to go, and am beyond frustrated. I'm so tired all the time and have no energy, that it's hard for me to even work minimum wage full-time. Just can't see any sort of light at the end of this road at this point.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I don't agree with the pharmacist who says you could only take T3, not Armour. Your FT4 is below mid-range, which means it's too low, like your FT3. You would benefit from a combo thyroid med like Armour.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
(female)

I agree with Midwest with Armour. But if you do not have medical insurance. I do not know if your state has HEB or Wal-Mart, but they have a $4 or $5 dollar plan on some medications. Levothyroxine (T4) is on this plan. Sometimes when you start taking T4 it will increase your T3 without even taking a combo medication, depends on your thyroid and your body. It is always worth a try. Armour is going to be pretty expensive without insurance unfortunately Well not extremely but I would say $60-80 monthly. Hope this helps and you are getting the help you need.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Armour is going to be pretty expensive without insurance unfortunately Well not extremely but I would say $60-80 monthly.
Not really. When it comes to thyroid med, natural is the bargain of the century. I've never found any natural thyroid - except compounded from a specialty store - that cost more than $10 for a 30-day supply. I just received a 90-day supply the other day and was billed a total of $20.84, less than $7/month. I always pay cash price instead of going through insurance, because that's always less expensive than using the co-pay.

Your biggest problem with natural would be finding an MD willing to prescribe it.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
(female)

Armour Thyroid is actually not natural it is made from pigs.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #11
(female)

jade8187 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Not really. When it comes to thyroid med, natural is the bargain of the century. I've never found any natural thyroid - except compounded from a specialty store - that cost more than $10 for a 30-day supply. I just received a 90-day supply the other day and was billed a total of $20.84, less than $7/month. I always pay cash price instead of going through insurance, because that's always less expensive than using the co-pay.

Your biggest problem with natural would be finding an MD willing to prescribe it.
In agreement. My 3mo. supply of armour when i was on it was around $21.00 as well. I currently am on compounded thyroid, and not so sure this was the way to go, never mind not being able to individually adjust T4&T3, the cost per month is $45.00!

Deb

Old 07-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
(male)

bennyha HB User

Thank you very much for all the replies. So do you think I should try and take something like Armour based on my results? Or something else? Kind of confused by the various answers here. Thanks again I appreciate it so greatly

Old 07-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Desiccated thyroid is made from porcine thyroid that has a larger proportion of T3 than T4 compared to human thyroid.

Since your FreeT3 level is proportionately lower in the range than your FreeT4 level, there's a chance that a desiccated thyroid product such as Armour (or NatureThroid, etc.) would work for you.

You could try asking pharmacists (not the counter help) for the names of doctors that prescribe Armour - there's no legal reason why they can't provide this type of information so, if the first one you call isn't helpful, just move onto the next one.

Don't stop until you find a doctor who will help - your labs and, more importantly, your symptoms indicate that you would benefit from an appropriate dose of thyroid hormone replacement.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
(female)

You should be placed on Armour Thyroid as per your results.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlegrl08 View Post
Armour Thyroid is actually not natural...
LOL... That should come as quite a surprise to a pig!

It is natural, as defined as "occurring in nature". The porcine thyroid powder, which is the active ingredient in each tablet, is derived from pulverized, dried pig thyroid glands. The hormones it contains are not synthesized in a laboratory as prescription levothyroxine products are. Ergo... it is called a "natural" dessicated thyroid hormone product.

Last edited by midwest1; 07-16-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Reply Reply